Masha Gessen allegedly gives away the true motive of the Gay Marriage movement

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Call me cynical, call me whimsical, call me whatever vulgar name you wish. Call me a Christian bigot, quote the Constitution, the SCOTUS ruling, or cherrypicked bible verses; make fun of my weight or the fact I live in grammaw's basement. Tell me that I want to hurt, dehumanize, or deprive gays of their rights. Compare me to ISIS, or tell me to get a job. Go ahead and get that out of your system.

Rightly so, I'm probably going to take a lot of heat for this, but so be it. I don't like being lied to, and I don't like having my trust betrayed. My support for gay marriage was wrought out of a lot of moral introspection. I have two sides warring within my conscience, my Christian moral objection to it, and my legal support of it. I wrestled with this issue mightily for a long time. But I decided that I would support it, accept it, and tolerate it. Now I find that my support may have been misplaced.

So, what were the motives of the gay marriage movement? How would I know? I was of the understanding it was for the right to marry like everyone else. I support that. But if Masha Gessen is of any indication, that wasn't really the goal in the first place. And as a result of that, I feel like I was misled. How do you ignore the words of Russia's most prominent LGBT activist?

In her own words, Masha Gessen explained how the institution of marriage should be destroyed. I am getting the distinct impression here that the fight for "marriage" wasn't the goal, it was merely a step along the path. The fight wasn't to attain the right to marry, but right to destroy it. It also seems as if the elites in the LGBT community are purposefully misleading their members as well.

Why would you work to destroy something you fought so hard to attain? Well, it appears the movement, according to Gessen, was never about the right to marry. Marriage is but a dispensable thing in the fight to destroy the institution of marriage.

"It’s a no-brainer that (homosexual activists) should have the right to marry, but I also think equally that it’s a no-brainer that the institution of marriage should not exist.Fighting for gay marriage generally involves lying about what we are going to do with marriage when we get there — because we lie that the institution of marriage is not going to change, and that is a lie.

The institution of marriage is going to change, and it should change. And again, I don’t think it should exist. And I don’t like taking part in creating fictions about my life. That’s sort of not what I had in mind when I came out thirty years ago.

I have three kids who have five parents, more or less, and I don’t see why they shouldn’t have five parents legally… I met my new partner, and she had just had a baby, and that baby’s biological father is my brother, and my daughter’s biological father is a man who lives in Russia, and my adopted son also considers him his father. So the five parents break down into two groups of three… And really, I would like to live in a legal system that is capable of reflecting that reality, and I don’t think that’s compatible with the institution of marriage.”

-Masha Gessen

Why get married when you could be happy - Life Matters - ABC Radio National Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Masha Gessen is an idiot and is not representative of the gay rights movement as a whole.

Senator John Cornyn: Do you believe that there is a federal constitutional right to samesex marriage?

Kagan: There is no federal constitutional right to same-sex marriage.

Do I get to pick one rightwing nut and declare him representative of you and all the other conservatives?

I'm pretty sure you did that with George W. Bush.

But nice deflection. Is this true, what Gessen is saying? You won't address her words, so I must take them as truth.

GW Bush WAS a representative of conservatives, dumbass. Would you like to know what percent of conservatives voted for him?

Call me cynical, call me whimsical, call me whatever vulgar name you wish. Call me a Christian bigot, quote the Constitution, the SCOTUS ruling, or cherrypicked bible verses; make fun of my weight or the fact I live in grammaw's basement. Tell me that I want to hurt, dehumanize, or deprive gays of their rights. Compare me to ISIS, or tell me to get a job. Go ahead and get that out of your system.

Rightly so, I'm probably going to take a lot of heat for this, but so be it. I don't like being lied to, and I don't like having my trust betrayed. My support for gay marriage was wrought out of a lot of moral introspection. I have two sides warring within my conscience, my Christian moral objection to it, and my legal support of it. I wrestled with this issue mightily for a long time. But I decided that I would support it, accept it, and tolerate it. Now I find that my support may have been misplaced.

So, what were the motives of the gay marriage movement? How would I know? I was of the understanding it was for the right to marry like everyone else. I support that. But if Masha Gessen is of any indication, that wasn't really the goal in the first place. And as a result of that, I feel like I was misled. How do you ignore the words of Russia's most prominent LGBT activist?

In her own words, Masha Gessen explained how the institution of marriage should be destroyed. I am getting the distinct impression here that the fight for "marriage" wasn't the goal, it was merely a step along the path. The fight wasn't to attain the right to marry, but right to destroy it. It also seems as if the elites in the LGBT community are purposefully misleading their members as well.

Why would you work to destroy something you fought so hard to attain? Well, it appears the movement, according to Gessen, was never about the right to marry. Marriage is but a dispensable thing in the fight to destroy the institution of marriage.

"It’s a no-brainer that (homosexual activists) should have the right to marry, but I also think equally that it’s a no-brainer that the institution of marriage should not exist.Fighting for gay marriage generally involves lying about what we are going to do with marriage when we get there — because we lie that the institution of marriage is not going to change, and that is a lie.

The institution of marriage is going to change, and it should change. And again, I don’t think it should exist. And I don’t like taking part in creating fictions about my life. That’s sort of not what I had in mind when I came out thirty years ago.

I have three kids who have five parents, more or less, and I don’t see why they shouldn’t have five parents legally… I met my new partner, and she had just had a baby, and that baby’s biological father is my brother, and my daughter’s biological father is a man who lives in Russia, and my adopted son also considers him his father. So the five parents break down into two groups of three… And really, I would like to live in a legal system that is capable of reflecting that reality, and I don’t think that’s compatible with the institution of marriage.”

-Masha Gessen

Why get married when you could be happy - Life Matters - ABC Radio National Australian Broadcasting Corporation
The only "gay conspiracy" is that they want to be treated as equals with respect. That terrifies many people, as was the case during the civil rights movement. Masha Gessen grew up in a country bubbling with government sanctioned hatred against minorities of all types. You shouldn't be surprised if she says crazy nonsense.

NYcarbineer, your comment about the conspiracy to elect a black president is hilarious!

The only "gay conspiracy" is that they want to be treated as equals with respect. That terrifies many people, as was the case during the civil rights movement. Masha Gessen grew up in a country bubbling with government sanctioned hatred against minorities of all types. You shouldn't be surprised if she says crazy nonsense.

Huh?

Huh?
Huh what.

Huh?
Huh what.

That you're all of a sudden dismissing her as the proverbial "Sarah Palin" of the gay rights movement. I'm smelling a lot of backtracking here. And a lot of attempts to change the subject.

Forum List

Back