Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico on Weapons Charges for Bringing Guns Across Border

Greta: President Obama, make a call and bring our jailed Marine home from Mexico | Off the Record | On the Record | Fox News

<By Greta Van Susteren

Let's all go "Off the Record" for a minute. I saw with my own eyes, even drove it -- the turn Sergeant Tahmooressi made, thinking he was going back to San Diego. It's the one, frankly, I would have taken. It was, after all, the direction towards San Diego.

It was dark, the sign was fully placed, even smudged with graffiti and once into that turn, that's where there was the big surprise. The entrance ramp didn't go north to San Diego but loops down below, south, and right into Mexico. Once on that ramp, there were absolutely no options. One hundred yards later, the Mexican checkpoint. Once at that checkpoint and you hear it on the 911 call, he reported the guns, guns he lawfully possesses in the U.S.

We showed you the receipts, or at least we have the receipts and could show them to you. Yes, in Mexico, gun possession is illegal. It was an accident that he ended up in Mexico. Simply a mistake, a bad turn. Frankly, a real dumb way to build that road. It's counter-intuitive.

So, now, what is Mexico going to do? Drag the troubled PTSD Marine through hell and spend Mexican money to keep him in a lousy prison cell and drag this out for months, maybe years? The judicial process is important, but this is stupid and slow.

This Marine volunteered to fight for our lives and he did -- two tours in Afghanistan. So, now it's our turn to fight for him. President Obama, make a phone call. Use our nation's good will. Get that judicial process accelerated. Don't leave this Marine behind. Bring our Marine home. And when we get him home, time for the V.A. to step up. Help him.

That's my "Off the Record" comment tonight.
>

~~~~~~~
living in a world where we must endlessly question--sigh.

I just don't think there is more to this man's story than this. Greta Van Sustern is not 'infallible'--no one is---but for a considerable length of time she has proven her integrity to me.

fairly certain--The POTUS--for whatever reasons--'can't'----if it is John Kerry--if it is Bill Clinton---I don't care. Somebody needs to get involved.

In the same week that we hear of the VA's problems---prepare to honor the military on Memorial Day---it is too much to think that -'nothing can be done'. jmo.

~~~~~~
Atlanta traffic/freeways is comparable to LA's --so many have said. There are continual adaptations to the existing system. How easy it is to end up 'somewhere else'--even if you have lived here for years---much less just moved here. It happens a lot. fwiw. Diamonds--that is what we are doing now---merging where you never merged before. neither here nor there.

Last edited:
And it was at night, with unlit, poorly maintained, faded signs.

just thinking. I have no idea 'how these things are done'--sometimes they are done.

Bill Clinton to the rescue - Salon.com

~~~~~~
--he is a soldier--not a journalist--will that work for or against him?

I guess if he had crossed into North Korea with guns. There would be no more to be said.

Harsh realities.

Video Shows Just How Easy It Was for U.S. Marine Trapped in a Mexican Prison to Accidentally Cross the Border
What? That video didn't make it seem easy to "accidentally" cross in.

Go past huge billboards:

tPk3ztL.png

PPsz2Rc.png

Then come up to a structure spanning the road that is clearly a border crossing into Mexico, this is where you pull over and stop your car if you don't want to cross the border into another country. Nobody accidentally drives up to this and goes through it without realizing by doing so they are entering Mexico:

rwsvcNU.png

In the video they have a few hundred yards there of American soil where they could pull over and handle things differently.

There was clearly no intent involved. He should have been released after questioning by Mexican officials.
Okay, if I get caught for a DUI after three beers, but was only driving because I didn't feel buzzed and didn't think three beers would put me over the 0.8, should I be released since no intent?

He just keeps them with him. Soldier. certain this has been explained more fully elsewhere.

Where was it explained that an ex soldier needs an arsenal to have dinner with friends?

his mother gave an explanation--you may not think much of it--made some sense to me.

He suffered a head injury--or several in Afghanistan--he hasn't been well--presume he has tried to deal with this on his own. He takes his guns everywhere.

So whatever you think of that---I don't pretend to understand PTSD--it makes some sort of sense to me. In his mind --the guns are his 'tools'---that is what she said.

Someone suffering from a mental disorder should not be carrying guns. The Mexicans arrested a person with a mental disorder who brought guns into their country. This sounds as if they had every right to arrest him.

eh--try driving in Atlanta traffic. If you have never been here before----it is something you really have to plan---

I get your point.

but---if you aren't familiar--distracted in some way--God forbid that he may have been on a cell phone--that hasn't been mentioned and possibly for good reason?--such a thing can happen.

?? you are in your car --you are driving--maybe listening to music---multi tasking, if you will--you miss a turn???

don't know--don't know.

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back. It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit? He never used his guns on anyone. Mexico has some very serious problems with drug dealers, and here they are jailing an innocent person for simply missing an exit.

Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico For Missing Exit and Bringing Guns Across Border

If he was 'going to have dinner with friends', why did he have an AR15, a shotgun, and a .45 in his car?
Because the 2nd Amendment allows him that right.

Not in Mexico. And this guy appears to have mental problems, the 2nd amendment should not protect him.

eh--try driving in Atlanta traffic. If you have never been here before----it is something you really have to plan---

I get your point.

but---if you aren't familiar--distracted in some way--God forbid that he may have been on a cell phone--that hasn't been mentioned and possibly for good reason?--such a thing can happen.

?? you are in your car --you are driving--maybe listening to music---multi tasking, if you will--you miss a turn???

don't know--don't know.

Yeah, I drove into another country, accidentally, with guns in my car. I hate it when that happens.

Where was it explained that an ex soldier needs an arsenal to have dinner with friends?

his mother gave an explanation--you may not think much of it--made some sense to me.

He suffered a head injury--or several in Afghanistan--he hasn't been well--presume he has tried to deal with this on his own. He takes his guns everywhere.

So whatever you think of that---I don't pretend to understand PTSD--it makes some sort of sense to me. In his mind --the guns are his 'tools'---that is what she said.

Someone suffering from a mental disorder should not be carrying guns. The Mexicans arrested a person with a mental disorder who brought guns into their country. This sounds as if they had every right to arrest him.

oh please--He has not been diagnosed with a mental disorder.

He suffered some sort of head injury/injuries in Afghanistan--he has been home ? 2 yrs--

that is about all I've got. Greta van Sustern is covering the story---you could watch those segments---or read the entire thread. Or if you have other means of getting at 'the truth' do that.
We are mere mortals---the sharing of information is about the best we can do.

'Maybe'--it is PTSD ---maybe he just mad a wrong turn. He is a soldier---moving to a new base--he had guns.

Make of that what you will.

If he was 'going to have dinner with friends', why did he have an AR15, a shotgun, and a .45 in his car?

Perhaps he planned to go target shooting or hunting. It doesn't matter.

Guns are just things. Why did he have a spare tire? Why did he have shoes? Why? Because they're his belongings and people often carry some of their belongings with them.

Bad answer.

Because the 2nd Amendment allows him that right.

Not in Mexico. And this guy appears to have mental problems, the 2nd amendment should not protect him.

ok---checked your profile. no need for us to try to discuss this further.

'Moderately Conservative' myself.

how threads get so complicated ----no need to take this into a discussion of the 2nd Amendment.

fyi--I don't own a gun--cannot use a gun--but I am fine with the 2nd Amendment--particularly when it comes to those who are 'responsible'.

out of this.

Last edited:
He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back. It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit? He never used his guns on anyone. Mexico has some very serious problems with drug dealers, and here they are jailing an innocent person for simply missing an exit.

Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico For Missing Exit and Bringing Guns Across Border

He was in the process of moving there from Fl and had all he owns in the truck box.

Not very responsible gun ownership.

He was in the process of moving there from Fl and had all he owns in the truck box.

Not true. He made an honest mistake and turned the wrong way, which is confirmed to be easy to do in that area.

Our "Apologist-In-Chief" should have already got the Marine home!

Not true. He made an honest mistake and turned the wrong way, which is confirmed to be easy to do in that area.

The excuse was that he just moved there. A responsible gun owner would have locked the guns away in his domicile.

Miss a turn? Yup, quite possible.

Approach the border crossing with building spanning the road that says Mexico with all the Mexican immigration and customs guys standing around where you have to slow down and enter thru one of the lanes? I don't see it.

The excuse was that he just moved there. A responsible gun owner would have locked the guns away in his domicile.
My understanding is he was on his way to San Diego, moving there. He stopped to have dinner with some friends on the way, then left there to continue on, and made the wrong turn. Thus he still had all his belongings locked in his truck box.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.

Approach the border crossing with building spanning the road that says Mexico with all the Mexican immigration and customs guys standing around where you have to slow down and enter thru one of the lanes? I don't see it.

It was winding and after you got on there were cement barricades between the lanes that prevented you from turning around once you went back south and THEN being able to see the crossing. It was not visible when you turned north first at the turn. You would have to see it to realize how poorly it is marked, and blind until too late.

I'll let you guys take it from here.

I feel bad for this guy. How do soldiers--do it---something I admire and would never be able to do.

I know I need to toughen up---more like his mother. I get 'upset'.

Forum List

Back