Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico on Weapons Charges for Bringing Guns Across Border

This event could easily have happened to any one of us...
You can say this a million times but you speak for yourself, I would not have accidentally driven across the border into Mexico from San Diego and this could never have happened to me.

I have missed many an exit.
If you are thinking about your problems, you can become distracted.
I forget things all of the time.
Some people need "down" time.

Don't judge unless you are willing to walk in another man's shoes and his includes jail time.

I drive a lot and sometimes I lose my geographical memory and other times I drive until something looks familiar (a joke).

PTSD can also cause brain injury.

Last edited:
Not true. He made an honest mistake and turned the wrong way, which is confirmed to be easy to do in that area.

Our "Apologist-In-Chief" should have already got the Marine home!

The excuse was that he just moved there. A responsible gun owner would have locked the guns away in his domicile.
He was on his way to his new residence, he had to carry all his belongings with him. Even if he didn't, nothing prevents him from having his guns in his truck.

With his mental disorder, something should have prevented it.

um---'no proven mental disorder'

won't say more. have drawn my own conclusions.

'his mother said'.

now do we need to be concerned that 'Mexico PD' reads internet forums.

critical thinking. I believe in that. couple of degrees--fwiw---once taught by a professor from Rutgers. step it up.

with no disrespect.

There should be a more reasonable way to handle it like designing a place to make U-Turns or being able for him to call their authorities and getting some help if he tells on himself.
He could have taken his foot off the gas and applied it to the brake. Despite what jughead keeps blindly chanting, the actual border crossing is quite obvious and even with no u-turn lane nobody is forced to drive into Mexico.

Do all lapses of judgment deserve criminalization if no one gets hurt and shows no intent?
This is an interesting question, so back to the three beers. If I have three beers, don't feel a buzz and believe my body weight makes me legal for driving, do I deserve punishment if I get stopped and blow over a 0.08 even if I didn't intent to drive while intoxicated (I though I was fine) and nobody was hurt?

yup busted

There should be a more reasonable way to handle it like designing a place to make U-Turns or being able for him to call their authorities and getting some help if he tells on himself.
He could have taken his foot off the gas and applied it to the brake. Despite what jughead keeps blindly chanting, the actual border crossing is quite obvious and even with no u-turn lane nobody is forced to drive into Mexico.

Do all lapses of judgment deserve criminalization if no one gets hurt and shows no intent?
This is an interesting question, so back to the three beers. If I have three beers, don't feel a buzz and believe my body weight makes me legal for driving, do I deserve punishment if I get stopped and blow over a 0.08 even if I didn't intent to drive while intoxicated (I though I was fine) and nobody was hurt?
Yes, you're going to stop your vehicle in the darkness of night on a busy multilane road with traffic behind you. Good luck not getting rear ended.

As for the beer, you can't accidently drink 3 beers like you could accidently miss an exit and wind up at the border. Mexican officials do indeed consider intent on whether or not they will press charges. We can look at a prior case of another Marine who was jailed in Mexico in 2012 for similarly bringing a gun across the border. He was eventually released as Mexican officials determined that there was no intent involved.

A defense lawyer said it was determined Hammar had no intent to commit a crime, Nelson said Friday.
Former Marine released from Mexican prison - CNN.com

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back. It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit? He never used his guns on anyone. Mexico has some very serious problems with drug dealers, and here they are jailing an innocent person for simply missing an exit.

TIJUANA, Mexico – A Marine veteran jailed in Mexico on weapons charges for allegedly bringing guns across the border said he never intended to leave the country but missed an exit when heading to meet friends in a border town.

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, 25, said he was headed to dinner in San Ysidro on March 31 when he mistakenly wound up at a border crossing point in Tijuana, U-T San Diego reported Sunday.

"I was going to call them after I drove off the exit, but I never got off the exit, I blew right past it," he told the newspaper in an interview from jail. "I wasn't paying attention, thinking I had way farther to go. I ended up in Mexico with no way to turn around."

He said Mexican authorities found three guns inside the truck he had recently driven from Florida to make a new start in San Diego. He was jailed, and is now being held in Tijuana's La Mesa Penitentiary without bail.

Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter last week wrote a letter asking Secretary of State John Kerry to secure Tahmooressi's release. State Department officials said they were aware of an arrest of a U.S. citizen in Mexico, but they do not comment on arrests of private individuals without the person's permission.

Similar cases have occurred before. In 2008, an active-duty Army soldier was jailed in Ciudad Juarez, across from El Paso, Texas, for driving into Mexico with guns, knives and ammunition. In 1999, a Marine was detained in Tijuana for two weeks after driving into Mexico with guns, the newspaper reported.

If Tahmooressi is convicted, he faces six to 21 years in a Mexican prison, his lawyers said, adding that alternatively the case could be dropped if the Mexican attorney general's office in Mexico City requests dismissal.

Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico For Missing Exit and Bringing Guns Across Border

He "missed" an exit.

Bullshit.

I have missed many an exit.
So have I.

However I have not accidentally pulled up to an international border with signs saying Mexico and slowly driven on through while distracted daydreaming.

Don't judge unless you are willing to walk in another man's shoes and his includes jail time.
Okay lets close down the message board, Chuckt doesn't want us trying to make judgement about a current event in the current events forum of a discussion board.

He was on his way to his new residence, he had to carry all his belongings with him. Even if he didn't, nothing prevents him from having his guns in his truck.

With his mental disorder, something should have prevented it.

what mental disorder

There are plenty of people who aren't perfect who would never think of hurting anyone.

You drink coffee? Why? To stay awake? Should people who drink coffee be allowed to drive on it? They might fall asleep. Why not take away the licenses of everyone who drinks coffee?

Yes, you're going to stop your vehicle in the darkness of night on a busy multilane road with traffic behind you. Good luck not getting rear ended.
Yes, as the cars all begin to slow down approaching the structure that spans the road marked "MEXICO" you turn the wheel until your car is on either side of the road and stop. Do not drive into the country that will put you in prison for the guns in your car.

I can't believe you are still claiming it is impossible to not enter Mexico once you are visibly approaching the border checkpoint in a car.

As for the beer, you can't accidently drink 3 beers like you could accidently miss an exit and wind up at the border.
Not sure your point, I never claimed you can accidentally drink three beers. I said you can accidentally misjudge whether you are impaired.

Yes, as the cars all begin to slow down approaching the structure that spans the road marked "MEXICO" you turn the wheel until your car is on either side of the road and stop. Do not drive into the country that will put you in prison for the guns in your car.

I can't believe you are still claiming it is impossible to not enter Mexico once you are visibly approaching the border checkpoint in a car.
I am not under any circumstance going to stop at night, on a busy road with no shoulder, and block a lane, border or no border. It's not safe, and there is a very good probability that a car would hit me from behind.

Today I heard the barriers were up due to construction and they said the u turn sign was actually laying against something in front of the far left lane at ground level, unlit so it couldn't be seen by any other lane.

Maybe Obama might get involved if he sees this covered on news outlets.

And if he was black.

He wanted to turn around but Mexican police surrounded the vehicle? He needed to turn around... duh before he entered Mexico. I sympathize with the guy and maybe he forgot that he had a gun in the car and obviously there was no criminal intent on his part but I still don't buy his story.

Yeah he wanted to turn around. That was clearly explained when the brain damaged moron called 911 asking them to help with the Mexican police.There is clearly something wrong with the guy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmW8hnx3BbQ]911 Call by the Imprisoned Marine Corps Andrew Tahmooressi Before Mexican Police Arrest Him - YouTube[/ame]

Do you consider yourself a "moron" for the many mistakes you've made. I can answer that for you if you like. :eusa_angel:

Yeah I am the moron. So a US 911 operator can control the Mexican police? Do tell.

Where was it explained that an ex soldier needs an arsenal to have dinner with friends?

his mother gave an explanation--you may not think much of it--made some sense to me.

He suffered a head injury--or several in Afghanistan--he hasn't been well--presume he has tried to deal with this on his own. He takes his guns everywhere.

So whatever you think of that---I don't pretend to understand PTSD--it makes some sort of sense to me. In his mind --the guns are his 'tools'---that is what she said.

Someone suffering from a mental disorder should not be carrying guns. The Mexicans arrested a person with a mental disorder who brought guns into their country. This sounds as if they had every right to arrest him.

Yeah yeah you hate guns we get it. And no he was arrested for bringing guns across the border.

Greta showed the road on her show....
If you are in the far right lane as he was and the u Turn is in the far left lane and there are cement
barricades preventing you from turning and the sign for the UTurn is the size of a postage stamp...

Well he was screwed.

I'm sure there are a bunch of folks here happy that one of our servicemen who had guns in his truck that he was taking to where he was moving to got in this mess.

Yeah and there was a u turn. he could have used. Either way no one made him press the gas and drive the car across the border.

Forum List

Back