Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico on Weapons Charges for Bringing Guns Across Border

Why in the world are we letting a soldier with PTSD drive around the country with weapons?

And if he's innocent why did he try to escape and then kill himself in jail?
Andrew Tahmooressi, Decorated U.S. Marine From Weston, Is Now Jailed in Mexico | New Times Broward-Palm Beach
PTSD does not disqualify one from owning weapons. Stress issues do not necessarily equate to having mental deficiencies. A court of law would need to determine that one is mentally unfit in order for the state to deny someone a carry permit.

As for why he tried to escape, if you were wrongfully arrested in a foreign country, and saw an opportunity to escape, wouldn't you consider it? I also don't buy that he tried to kill himself, it may have been an accident as he was in locked in solitary confinement at the time he allegedly stabbed himself.

Most criminals, dare I say all criminals, think they were unlawfully arrested.

And yes, we should have laws taking guns away from those with mental disorders like PTSD.

It is impossible to drive into Mexico by mistake, where in the hell was he going to accidently drive into Mexico?

San Ysidro maybe? And if he had business in San Ysidro one is more than familiar with the exits leading to Mexico.

The guy sounds like a complete Moron who should be busted taking guns into Mexico.

I have driven into Mexico, there are a lot of signs and its very clear. I have never missed the last exit for parking in the USA before reaching Tijuana.

Further not every car is stopped entering Mexico, I was stopped 1-10 times.

Anyone driving towards mexico who knowingly has guns in his car seems like an awfully stupid person, I would stop and back up before I went into Mexico, or simply have the border tax of 20$ to give to the Mexican Official, these guys can all be bribed, was this dumb jarhead broke as well, not even 10$? What was he doing driving south at the literal end america, california?

l.jpg

Last edited:
It is impossible to drive into Mexico by mistake, where in the hell was he going to accidently drive into Mexico?

San Ysidro maybe? And if he had business in San Ysidro one is more than familiar with the exits leading to Mexico.

The guy sounds like a complete Moron who should be busted taking guns into Mexico.

I have driven into Mexico, there are a lot of signs and its very clear. I have never missed the last exit for parking in the USA before reaching Tijuana.

Anyone driving towards mexico who knowingly has guns in his car seems like an awfully stupid person, I would stop and back up before I went into Mexico, or simply have the border tax of 20$ to give to the Mexican Official, these guys can all be bribed, was this dumb jarhead broke as well, not even 10$? What was he doing driving south at the literal end america, california?

l.jpg
I recall when driving to Mexico in the past (to purchase pharmaceuticals and stuff), I'd always park on the U.S. side, and then simply walk across the border. I had no choice as I could not bring my firearm across the border, so I'd leave it in my truck. At some of the border crossings (Nogales in particular), warnings are not clear. There are a few turns, and before you know it, you are at the border crossing without warning. At the Nogales border crossing there is a warning sign in regards to guns and ammunition maybe 100 feet before the border, in order to have one last chance to make a U-turn and go back. Problem is you come across the sign suddenly, and there is no time to make the U-turn unless you happen to be in the left lane, and slam on the brakes.

This topic was beat to death last month & the month before. You've just been in the Tavern too much to notice it.

Which rw news outlet is keeping this on their front page? Drudge? am radio?, Fox, who?

This topic was beat to death last month & the month before. You've just been in the Tavern too much to notice it.

Which rw news outlet is keeping this on their front page? Drudge? am radio?, Fox, who?

What difference does it make?

It's called the Circle Jerk of Attribution (c)

Is the signage adequate?
Could he have turned around?
Could he have stopped before the border and said, "Guys, I need to turn around because of my cargo? I came here by accident and wish to turn around?"
It doesn't matter if the signage is adequate, anyone travelling to a foreign country has a responsibility to know their laws.

Yes, he could have stopped. Nobody forces a car in the United States to keep moving forward into Mexico.

He could have been drinking or on meds. Who knows. Call your reps. and the white house is something we can do. Since Mexico strictly prosecutes people that break laws entering their country, we should do the same to people entering our country.

Last edited:

l.jpg
I recall when driving to Mexico in the past (to purchase pharmaceuticals and stuff), I'd always park on the U.S. side, and then simply walk across the border. I had no choice as I could not bring my firearm across the border, so I'd leave it in my truck. At some of the border crossings (Nogales in particular), warnings are not clear. There are a few turns, and before you know it, you are at the border crossing without warning. At the Nogales border crossing there is a warning sign in regards to guns and ammunition maybe 100 feet before the border, in order to have one last chance to make a U-turn and go back. Problem is you come across the sign suddenly, and there is no time to make the U-turn unless you happen to be in the left lane, and slam on the brakes.

still, he had guns and had to know the penalty, its not like jarheads are not schooled in the danger of going to tijuana, I know, I was in the marine corp. Many times Tijuana is off-limits to Jarheads. Most likely they are not allowed to go there to begin with. Either way, why, why, was it simply, dumb?

Was he like a moth drawn to a light? I would of backed up before I went into Mexico with guns.

I would of had 20 bucks in my hand to give anyone checking my truck. Many times I drive across and am never checked.

either way, I read that he was afraid for his life and all, it would be tough, you got to be tough in jail, able to make friends, stand your ground, just like in your jails.

Good, Americans must obey the laws of other countries when visiting them. What would be your reaction if a Mexican were carrying a gun in the US?

Is being a "US Marine" post Korea supposed to mean anything special?

I drive through the blackest, most hispanic parts in America without weapons in my car. Why would this nutcase need firearms in a country of 5 foot tall turds who cannot fight?

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back. It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit? He never used his guns on anyone. Mexico has some very serious problems with drug dealers, and here they are jailing an innocent person for simply missing an exit.

TIJUANA, Mexico – A Marine veteran jailed in Mexico on weapons charges for allegedly bringing guns across the border said he never intended to leave the country but missed an exit when heading to meet friends in a border town.

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, 25, said he was headed to dinner in San Ysidro on March 31 when he mistakenly wound up at a border crossing point in Tijuana, U-T San Diego reported Sunday.

"I was going to call them after I drove off the exit, but I never got off the exit, I blew right past it," he told the newspaper in an interview from jail. "I wasn't paying attention, thinking I had way farther to go. I ended up in Mexico with no way to turn around."

He said Mexican authorities found three guns inside the truck he had recently driven from Florida to make a new start in San Diego. He was jailed, and is now being held in Tijuana's La Mesa Penitentiary without bail.

Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter last week wrote a letter asking Secretary of State John Kerry to secure Tahmooressi's release. State Department officials said they were aware of an arrest of a U.S. citizen in Mexico, but they do not comment on arrests of private individuals without the person's permission.

Similar cases have occurred before. In 2008, an active-duty Army soldier was jailed in Ciudad Juarez, across from El Paso, Texas, for driving into Mexico with guns, knives and ammunition. In 1999, a Marine was detained in Tijuana for two weeks after driving into Mexico with guns, the newspaper reported.

If Tahmooressi is convicted, he faces six to 21 years in a Mexican prison, his lawyers said, adding that alternatively the case could be dropped if the Mexican attorney general's office in Mexico City requests dismissal.

Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico For Missing Exit and Bringing Guns Across Border

If he was 'going to have dinner with friends', why did he have an AR15, a shotgun, and a .45 in his car?

He will be in that hell hole of a country - which hundreds of thousands of its own citizens are desperate to escape from - until all the typically corrupt officials involved in this case, from the border guards to the judge, to the governor of the state and perhaps the president, even, are generously bribed and paid off.

He will be in that hell hole of a country - which hundreds of thousands of its own citizens are desperate to escape from - until all the typically corrupt officials involved in this case, from the border guards to the judge, to the governor of the state and perhaps the president, even, are generously bribed and paid off.

If he survives the experience.

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back. It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit? He never used his guns on anyone. Mexico has some very serious problems with drug dealers, and here they are jailing an innocent person for simply missing an exit.

TIJUANA, Mexico – A Marine veteran jailed in Mexico on weapons charges for allegedly bringing guns across the border said he never intended to leave the country but missed an exit when heading to meet friends in a border town.

Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi, 25, said he was headed to dinner in San Ysidro on March 31 when he mistakenly wound up at a border crossing point in Tijuana, U-T San Diego reported Sunday.

"I was going to call them after I drove off the exit, but I never got off the exit, I blew right past it," he told the newspaper in an interview from jail. "I wasn't paying attention, thinking I had way farther to go. I ended up in Mexico with no way to turn around."

He said Mexican authorities found three guns inside the truck he had recently driven from Florida to make a new start in San Diego. He was jailed, and is now being held in Tijuana's La Mesa Penitentiary without bail.

Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter last week wrote a letter asking Secretary of State John Kerry to secure Tahmooressi's release. State Department officials said they were aware of an arrest of a U.S. citizen in Mexico, but they do not comment on arrests of private individuals without the person's permission.

Similar cases have occurred before. In 2008, an active-duty Army soldier was jailed in Ciudad Juarez, across from El Paso, Texas, for driving into Mexico with guns, knives and ammunition. In 1999, a Marine was detained in Tijuana for two weeks after driving into Mexico with guns, the newspaper reported.

If Tahmooressi is convicted, he faces six to 21 years in a Mexican prison, his lawyers said, adding that alternatively the case could be dropped if the Mexican attorney general's office in Mexico City requests dismissal.

Marine Veteran Jailed in Mexico For Missing Exit and Bringing Guns Across Border

If he was 'going to have dinner with friends', why did he have an AR15, a shotgun, and a .45 in his car?

He just keeps them with him. Soldier. certain this has been explained more fully elsewhere.

He just keeps them with him. Soldier. certain this has been explained more fully elsewhere.

Where was it explained that an ex soldier needs an arsenal to have dinner with friends?

Where was it explained that an ex soldier needs an arsenal to have dinner with friends?

his mother gave an explanation--you may not think much of it--made some sense to me.

He suffered a head injury--or several in Afghanistan--he hasn't been well--presume he has tried to deal with this on his own. He takes his guns everywhere.

So whatever you think of that---I don't pretend to understand PTSD--it makes some sort of sense to me. In his mind --the guns are his 'tools'---that is what she said.

He simply missed an exit, and had no way of turning back.
Bullshit, nobody forced him to cross a clearly marked international border. If had to pull his car over and ask the US CBP guys what to do then that is what you do, there isn't a "no turning back" scenario unless he's in one of those toyotas with the stuck accelerator.

cbsnews-com-mexican-border.jpg

It could have happened to any one of us. I don't get how he can potentially get 6 to 25 years for simply missing an exit?
Nope, it wouldn't have happened to me.

He isn't getting 6 to 25 years for missing an exit, he's getting it for entering a country with prohibited firearms.

Forum List

Back