Making animal rights and biocentrism a major political topic

Native-American tribes believe that animals possess special spiritual powers.

Our modern world of industrialization has strayed away from ideas about biocentrism, naturalism, or animal spiritualism.

However, American comic books have the potential in bringing such perspectives back into the mainstream.

Naturalism or animal spiritualism American comic book avatars such as Wolverine (Marvel Comics), Hawkgirl (DC Comics), and Penguin (DC Comics) represent society curiosity about the potency of Earth, nature, and animal instincts. Animals do, after all, exhibit extraordinary powers of tracking and hunting.

Given that the American comic book has risen in popularity in our modern era of populism-centric art (i.e., graffiti), we can posit creating a people-friendly animalism themed imaginarium avatar.

How about Herbie the the Talking Turtle. Herbie is a turtle with extraordinary intelligence and foresight. He roams the lands of Earth trying to understand how creatures and humans interact with Mother Nature and turmoil.

Such storyboarding lends great weight to the arena of street talk politics actually.

:banana:

Penguin - DC Comics Database

Herbie.jpg

Have you ever visited a farm ? No not what peta calls a farm I am talking about a real farm. One like mine , a small place where my wife and I try to make a living doing what we love -milking cows. We work 12-20 hour days growing feed ,cleaning barns, milking,checking the girls at 2 am because we heard a weird noise in the maternity pen . I know my cows are happy and i don't want or need someone who doesn't have a clue making new rules or laws .

Just as long as you don't take away the calves after they're born.
Calves need to nurse, just like any mammal. Corn products are not healthy in any living creatures' diet.

Have you ever visited a farm ? No not what peta calls a farm I am talking about a real farm. One like mine , a small place where my wife and I try to make a living doing what we love -milking cows. We work 12-20 hour days growing feed ,cleaning barns, milking,checking the girls at 2 am because we heard a weird noise in the maternity pen . I know my cows are happy and i don't want or need someone who doesn't have a clue making new rules or laws .

Just as long as you don't take away the calves after they're born.
Calves need to nurse, just like any mammal. Corn products are not healthy in any living creatures' diet.

newborn calves are not feed corn...

We are all living, breathing creatures of this earth. What we call "animals" are intelligent, thinking creatures that can feel pain, sadness, and anger.
Grief in Animals AnimalWise

Do Animals Have Emotions The Bark

Do you think animals give a shit when they kill a human???
Animal Attacks Why Increased Aggression
I believe animals attack in order to protect themselves if they feel threatened or they're short on food.
Humans also keep expanding and therefore decreasing many animals natural habitats.
This puts them at risk because many animals are territorial and feel the need to protect what is rightfully theirs.

Rory Young, Professional Safari Guide, Ran... (more) Professional Safari Guide, Ranger and Tracker.Suggest Bio
378 upvotes by
Pranesh Pandurangan
Follow620
Pranesh Pandurangan,
Brian Fey
Cultural Designer
Follow6k
Brian Fey, Adriana Heguy, (more)Loading...
"There are five main reasons an animal will attack you, The first is fear. Cape Buffaloes are a classic example. They are really bad news. This is not because they want to eat you but because they believe you want to eat them. Why else would we be walking around on our back legs, showing our teeth and the whites of our eyes? Lions, when completely unused to people will run away when they encounter humans but of course if surprised at close range could attack out of fear to defend themselves (and then eat you as a bonus).

The second is for food. Lions are pure predators (forget Simba - think Dexter), unlike us who are half predator. They are geniuses at killing. When you see lions lounging around gazing at antelope in the distance, they are not goofing off, they are constantly updating their knowledge of their prey's habits. So, when they lose their fear of man they will begin to test you. There was a very sad case in a park where I once worked in Zimbabwe of a young British chap working for a fellow walking safari guide for his gap year. He left his tent slightly unzipped and was pulled out of it and killed by a lioness. In the lead up to this, several guides/rangers including myself, had close calls with lions walking right up to check us out. Normally they would let you know you were getting too close by growling, running away or even mock charging. However, walking casually up to you was not the usual MO. These lions had become so used to being approached on foot that they lost their fear of man and began to wonder if we were easy food and eventually tried.

The third is territory. A good example of this is hippos. They are responsible for killing more people than any other wild mammal. Most of these are unexpected attacks by territorial animals in the water. They will attack out of fear, such as when they are in the shallows, cut off from the safer deep water by a canoe or run you down if you get between them and the water when they are surprised; but most attacks are deliberate.

The reason for the differing behaviour is due to the habits in different environments. Hippos feed on grass inland during the day and then lie up in pods, large groups squashed next to each other. If a hippo who is not from the pod approaches they will either kill it or chase it away. They'll do the same with boats.

The fourth reason is anger. A good example of this is when male elephants go into season. This is called "musth". They have huge amounts of testosterone pumping through them and will attack anything.

The fifth reason is to protect their young. In this case you need to back off quickly, walking backwards. Good luck.

P.S. I will post a story on my blog tomorrow, written by a friend who bumped into a leopard with her cubs. He was badly mauled but survived. You are actually better off being attacked by a leopard, especially in a group, as they will attack and maul each person, resulting in a number of mauled people, whereas a lion will stay on the first person till they are dead."

This is a great article.

an extremist to one person is a well intentioned and ethical person to another. If forcing views on someone through media, guilt, or other forms of communication ends some of the obscenely cruel treatment many people and companies direct towards animals then that's a necessary evil in my opinion.

Why is society so afraid of learning about such a basic part of everyone's life as how meat is raised? Any basic info about life is widely available now but not about treatment of animals.

Anyone can handle it, and it can only make them better individuals. Many will choose to eat less meat and be healthier.

Ignoring animal cruelty is wrong.

What is the most effective way of making animal rights a real political and ethical focus in this country? In addition, what is the most effective way to influence the masses towards a biocentric focus towards life instead of the superiority of the human species?

:lmao:

I wonder if this nut has been eaten by a predator he was trying to hug yet.

Eating animals is the natural order of things. If you wish to deny nature and eat 100% roughage I have no issue with that whatsoever. If it makes you feel better to know that I kill, gut, clean, and butcher my own meat...you can now officially feel better.

Humans are animals too. Don't forget that. We are no better than any other species.
We're much better than other species. If we're not, why are you being so unfair to the raccoons? Don't they deserve to live in your house while you go and live in the woods?

Humans are animals too. Don't forget that. We are no better than any other species.
We're much better than other species. If we're not, why are you being so unfair to the raccoons? Don't they deserve to live in your house while you go and live in the woods?
That statement is completely unfounded.
I treat animals as equals. I don't even kill spiders or insects, especially when they're in their natural habitat.

I treat animals as equals. I don't even kill spiders or insects, especially when they're in their natural habitat.

What does it mean to treat animals as equals? Is it simply not killing them?

If you saw a human being and, let's say, a rat trapped in a fire, and you could only save one, would you have a hard time deciding which to save?

Have you had any deeply moving discussions with a non-human animal recently?

My point is that while I've heard numerous people talk about animals as being the equal of humans, on the same level as humans, etc., I find that it isn't usually actually the case.

If you saw a human being and, let's say, a rat trapped in a fire, and you could only save one, would you have a hard time deciding which to save?

My point is that while I've heard numerous people talk about animals as being the equal of humans, on the same level as humans, etc., I find that it isn't usually actually the case.

Animals of a different species than our own may not be able to speak our language but they still communicate with us. They still experience the same emotions as us. For all we know, they may even be able to think complexly--but we don't know this and probably never will. You underestimate the intelligence of our fellow creatures.

Animals of a different species than our own may not be able to speak our language but they still communicate with us. They still experience the same emotions as us. For all we know, they may even be able to think complexly--but we don't know this and probably never will. You underestimate the intelligence of our fellow creatures.

That in no way answered my questions.

What does it mean to treat animals as equals?

Some animals may experience the same emotions as humans. Of course, since it's hard to be sure that even other individual humans experience emotions the same way we do, and since our emotions are often tied to our intellect, it seems unlikely that a crab experiences the same emotions I do. ;)

I can only go by the available evidence for the intelligence of other species. There are some pretty intelligent animals out there. Others, not so much. However, since I cannot communicate with any other creature in the complex manner available through language, I cannot question them about their emotional or intellectual capacities, I cannot get to know them the way I can a human being, I cannot connect to them in the same ways.

I also believe that there is nothing wrong with placing a different value on different lives. Everyone does it. Even if you value all animal life equally, you will value plants differently, or perhaps microscopic organisms. That being the case, I find valuing human life above that of animals perfectly acceptable. Now, this is not an endorsement of any kind of abuse of animals. However, I can think of no situation in which I would allow a human baby to die to save any animal.

Forum List

Back