Making animal rights and biocentrism a major political topic

AlexWA

Alexandra
Nov 11, 2012
Seattle, Wash
What is the most effective way of making animal rights a real political and ethical focus in this country? In addition, what is the most effective way to influence the masses towards a biocentric focus towards life instead of the superiority of the human species?

Should people be shown the images of slaughterhouses and processing plants around the country in order to truly know how they got their pork chop? Should people be forced to help kill and gut their cow before they sit down for their steak at a restaurant? Should people be allowed to use animals as entertainment even when that animal has no concept of what it is that is it being exploited for? Should people be allowed to abuse or neglect an animal? Should people experience the same anguish that animals feel when experimented on in order for them to have empathy for that life?

This is not an attempt to change minds. I am genuinely curious what everybody simply thinks on the matter. I myself am a proud vegan and advocate of animal rights and biocentrism, but i am just wondering what your thoughts are.

Why would one want to.

The same reason people want gun control laws, abortion laws, seat belt laws, healthcare, fishing laws, power usage rules, social programs, and other issues addressed and talked about...they care about the issue and see the importance of it. For example I would consider animal rights to be more important than spending billions of dollars on a new attack helicopter.

What is the most effective way of making animal rights a real political and ethical focus in this country? In addition, what is the most effective way to influence the masses towards a biocentric focus towards life instead of the superiority of the human species?

Should people be shown the images of slaughterhouses and processing plants around the country in order to truly know how they got their pork chop? Should people be forced to help kill and gut their cow before they sit down for their steak at a restaurant? Should people be allowed to use animals as entertainment even when that animal has no concept of what it is that is it being exploited for? Should people be allowed to abuse or neglect an animal? Should people experience the same anguish that animals feel when experimented on in order for them to have empathy for that life?

This is not an attempt to change minds. I am genuinely curious what everybody simply thinks on the matter. I myself am a proud vegan and advocate of animal rights and biocentrism, but i am just wondering what your thoughts are.

You can already decide to go to a BETTER regulator and buy only Kosher or Halal meat products.

We don't have much leverage on the crack whore mom who's abusing her kids. Not likely we're gonna get a political solution better than demanding slightly more humane treatment.

Go see what 4H and Future Farmers are doing. You might be surprised how much that helps..

What rights do humans wish to ascribe to other animals (rights being a human invention)?

What rights do humans wish to ascribe to other animals (rights being a human invention)?

Humane treatment in our interactions with all other conscious beings on the planet. It's already mostly there in our current law. It existed in the Old Testament Bible. We just need consumers and animal owners to help strengthen the rules.

Increasing awareness and consciousness in our own species is the basic issue. That alone will eliminate the largest part of our problems. Setting up a separate battle for cats and trees will only defuse energy even more. All the struggles for rights for this group and that cause makes it seem things are divided and apart when they are one.

Nothing wrong with you being a vegan...until you start to force your views about meat eating onto others. Then you start to sound like just another PETA extremist.

I'm not a vegetarian so take my views for what they are. I don't think standing in streets with shocking images will work, it hasn't done anything for abortion.

I think Michael Pollen and movies like Food Inc have at least given the other views in a reasonable way. Nothing in the movie was too shocking but reasonable. Education is probably a better way to go instead of condemnation.

Nothing wrong with you being a vegan...until you start to force your views about meat eating onto others. Then you start to sound like just another PETA extremist.

an extremist to one person is a well intentioned and ethical person to another. If forcing views on someone through media, guilt, or other forms of communication ends some of the obscenely cruel treatment many people and companies direct towards animals then that's a necessary evil in my opinion.

Have you ever visited a farm ? No not what peta calls a farm I am talking about a real farm. One like mine , a small place where my wife and I try to make a living doing what we love -milking cows. We work 12-20 hour days growing feed ,cleaning barns, milking,checking the girls at 2 am because we heard a weird noise in the maternity pen . I know my cows are happy and i don't want or need someone who doesn't have a clue making new rules or laws .

Have you ever visited a farm ? No not what peta calls a farm I am talking about a real farm. One like mine , a small place where my wife and I try to make a living doing what we love -milking cows. We work 12-20 hour days growing feed ,cleaning barns, milking,checking the girls at 2 am because we heard a weird noise in the maternity pen . I know my cows are happy and i don't want or need someone who doesn't have a clue making new rules or laws .

I have been to a farm before, not a milk cow farm but to a farm with animals in it yes.

Alex, you should be more concerned about the slaughter of humans around the globe rather than the slaughter of animals.
If you can convince the masses to stop the first, your chances of convincing them to end the second increase.
Though it could be a hard sell. I love cow.

an extremist to one person is a well intentioned and ethical person to another. If forcing views on someone through media, guilt, or other forms of communication ends some of the obscenely cruel treatment many people and companies direct towards animals then that's a necessary evil in my opinion.

That's just it. It's Your Opinion, which becomes an offense to others, when it is imposed without regard or imposed by decree. You have every right to your perspective on the fair and ethical treatment of Animals. Best to live by example and try to educate. Matters of Conscience belong to Each of Us, Individually, in part that translates to Us Not being able to force feed against Someones will. Government by the consent of the governed does have consequences, both good and bad. Stupidity is on the list. ;)

Terrorism isn't the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex, you should be more concerned about the slaughter of humans around the globe rather than the slaughter of animals.
If you can convince the masses to stop the first, your chances of convincing them to end the second increase.

I'm concerned about both

That's just it. It's Your Opinion, which becomes an offense to others, when it is imposed without regard or imposed by decree. You have every right to your perspective on the fair and ethical treatment of Animals. Best to live by example and try to educate. Matters of Conscience belong to Each of Us, Individually, in part that translates to Us Not being able to force feed against Someones will. Government by the consent of the governed does have consequences, both good and bad. Stupidity is on the list. ;)

Ideas, perspectives, political stances, and opinions are imposed on people every single day. Showing people the cruelty behind certain businesses and practices is free speech and in many cases necessary in my opinion.

I'm concerned about both

All change starts from within. Volunteering is generally always a good thing. Doing something, helps in more ways than one.

Terrorism isn't the answer.

I'm not doing any terrorist activities and neither does PETA. I do not agree with every single thing that PETA does and i am not even a paying member of PETA, but I do agree with many of their stances but that does not make me a terrorist nor does it make PETA a terrorist group. You are thinking of organizations like the animal liberation front.

I'm concerned about both

All change starts from within. Volunteering is generally always a good thing. Doing something, helps in more ways than one.

I have and still do volunteer for a number of causes in the Seattle area. My concern for humans though is less due to the fact that in many cases humans have the ability to help themselves and control their own destiny whereas animals and our environment are at many times at our mercy. We experiment on animals, we use them as entertainment, and we enslave them for various uses. We pollute and destroy the Earth due to humans misguided belief that we are the superior species that has dominion over everything. It it those areas of concern in my opinion that need to be changed, not my point of view.

Forum List

Back