Make You a Bit Nervous?

magma.jpg

The world's largest volcano. That's what they call the Yellowstone Caldera. Okay, so it hasn't erupted in 640,000 years – a mere drop in the bucket considering the age of the earth. What if it does? What would the impact be on North America? Or the world?

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/files/2015/04/huang2HR-1024x793.jpg

I'm not going to be tonight worrying about it. But...

Read more @ Missing Magma Found Beneath Yellowstone Park

California’s ‘Big One’ could trigger super cycle of destructive quakes – study @ Prison Planet.com California s Big One could trigger super cycle of destructive quakes study

Hurry up and buy future beachfront property in Baker, Calif.!!!

Well I do not know if there will be beach front property in Baker California, but if this finally happens then we will not have to worry about AGW, much less anything else.

Somewhere this a map that would show the possible devastation from this eruption.

The world would be a much cooler place with all the ash in the atmosphere.

A 10-foot layer of ash would spread up to 1,000 miles away, leaving two-thirds of the country completely uninhabitable.

If This Supervolcano Erupts Two-Thirds of America Will Be Screwed RYOT News

I have watched as Yellow stone breaths over the years. The rise and fall of the ground. The rise and fall of ground temperatures. The recent rise of ground temperatures and rise of the Norris Basin area which continues today.

I have watched as they have done seismic refractory work with in the park the last five years and monitored reactions of the ground through the University of Utah's seismic recording stations. I am also personal friends with some of the researchers.

There have been some sleepless nights over the past five years when things did not look good. I have watched as teams did work in winter (if you know about Wyoming winter you know this is uncommon) in urgent conditions.

Each time we get quake swarms, ground temperature increase and ground movement (lift) together there is great concern. Norris basin has been snow free for four years running while areas around it have upwards of 8 feet of snow.

There are indications the magma is rising and the chamber is full. Should it erupt, if I am not moving away from the wind flow I will be buried in a matter of an hour. WE will feel the initial blast wave but we are far enough away to not get rolled by the pyroclasitc flow. The ash fall will render our vehicle useless if not properly prepared and moving in time. Within two hours areas within the 300 mile secondary blast zone will be uninhabitable and hot magma ash will fall covering he area. Within a week the ranges will be out to 800-1600 miles down wind.

The death toll will be massive and most, like Pompey, will be trapped in the heap of rock and ash fragments. Those who get clear of the ash fall will deal with the failure of the power grid, loss of food, no water, and rapidly declining temperatures. It will be a global event.

This photo sums it up nicely...

images

And there isn't a dam thing anyone can do to stop it. If your not prepared and have somewhere to go up wind...Place your head between your legs and kiss it goodbye. Those left to fight for food and the scraps of a glacial world are going to be the ones fighting for survival.

We need to expand the geothermal power stations near the park. Over a span of centuries, that could suck the heat away safely. It will gradually ruin the Yellowstone geothermal features, but so it goes.
"Safely suck the heat away'!!!

You do realize that is ridiculously impossible?

The real story is how much of the magma is eruptable. While the chambers may be close to full, the amount of the chamber that is molten is what is eruptable.
Contrary to popular perception, the magma chamber and magma reservoir are not full of molten rock. Instead, the rock is hot, mostly solid and spongelike, with pockets of molten rock within it. Huang says the new study indicates the upper magma chamber averages about 9 percent molten rock – consistent with earlier estimates of 5 percent to 15 percent melt – and the lower magma reservoir is about 2 percent melt.
Source

But when it goes, a path is easily eaten by the molten lava, which will allow further melt and eruption. It is when water and basalts become intermixed that things become violently explosive.

Considering that we are on the ring of fire, what do you expect?
Yellowstone is a center plate volcano. The ring of fire is the plate edges. Your supposedly a geology student and you dont know these basic items and their locations?
Dumb ass, Longknife was speaking of the volcanoes erupting in the Americas at present. And the oldest calderas from the Yellowstone hot spot are only about 17 million years old, not 100 million.

Yellowstone is a center plate volcano. The ring of fire is the plate edges. Your supposedly a geology student and you dont know these basic items and their locations?
Dumb ass, Longknife was speaking of the volcanoes erupting in the Americas at present. And the oldest calderas from the Yellowstone hot spot are only about 17 million years old, not 100 million.

You really are a moron.. A geology student would know the volcano's long, well established history. You however do not. Tells me all I need to know about your so called schooling.

magma.jpg

The world's largest volcano. That's what they call the Yellowstone Caldera. Okay, so it hasn't erupted in 640,000 years – a mere drop in the bucket considering the age of the earth. What if it does? What would the impact be on North America? Or the world?

California’s ‘Big One’ could trigger super cycle of destructive quakes – study @ Prison Planet.com California s Big One could trigger super cycle of destructive quakes study

Not at all. What makes me nervous is the fact that the magma chamber is rising, the ground's deforming (rising,) and earthquake swarms are being reported. All signs of impending eruptions. That the last 3 super-eruptions were 600k years apart and we're at 640k now (40k years overdue) doesn't help.

If it erupted, the plant life in the Northern hemisphere (where we live by the by) would die due to volcanic winter effects blocking out too much sunlight plants need. The resulting loss of crops would result in mass famine. Even if the actual eruption, and spreading ash cloud didn't kill us in the US, the famine and related effects would.

If we determine an eruption is imminent and unavoidable how about trying to place a few hundred megaton-class nukes all over the underground caldera magma chamber and vaporizing it? Gonna erupt and kill everybody anyway, but maybe if we vaporize a good portion of the magma the resulting eruption would be less?

Not difficult to survive radiation underground. Real hard to survive no sunlight.

magma.jpg

Not at all. What makes me nervous is the fact that the magma chamber is rising, the ground's deforming (rising,) and earthquake swarms are being reported. All signs of impending eruptions. That the last 3 super-eruptions were 600k years apart and we're at 640k now (40k years overdue) doesn't help.

If it erupted, the plant life in the Northern hemisphere (where we live by the by) would die due to volcanic winter effects blocking out too much sunlight plants need. The resulting loss of crops would result in mass famine. Even if the actual eruption, and spreading ash cloud didn't kill us in the US, the famine and related effects would.

If we determine an eruption is imminent and unavoidable how about trying to place a few hundred megaton-class nukes all over the underground caldera magma chamber and vaporizing it? Gonna erupt and kill everybody anyway, but maybe if we vaporize a good portion of the magma the resulting eruption would be less?

Not difficult to survive radiation underground. Real hard to survive no sunlight.

Funny...

SO not only do we deal with the ash cloud, no sun light, deep freeze, starvation, and the loss of the way of life, you want to irradiate the whole dam planet..

I know progressives want to depopulate the earth but my god man... the stupidity is breathtaking to behold..

You really are a moron.. A geology student would know the volcano's long, well established history. You however do not. Tells me all I need to know about your so called schooling.

Billy, really, just pulling numbers out of your ass is kind of stupid.

Interactive A Hotspot Trail

Geology on an epic scale the Yellowstone caldera Highly Allochthonous

Yellowstone_hotspot_pathpng.png

The chain of calderas left in the wake of the Yellowstone hotspot.

magma.jpg

Funny...

SO not only do we deal with the ash cloud, no sun light, deep freeze, starvation, and the loss of the way of life, you want to irradiate the whole dam planet..

I know progressives want to depopulate the earth but my god man... the stupidity is breathtaking to behold..
Now Booby, just what the hell do 'progressives' have to do with volcanic eruptions?

I daily read the calls that Mankind somehow stop doing whatever it is doing to prevent disasters to the planet.

I also read report after report of Nature showing its awesome power. Massive storms that destroy Man's puny structures. Floods and inundations that carry away towns and villages. Volcanic eruptions that bury everything in their path with lava or ash.

So, in the end, I know there's little I can do about it. I go to bed every night, thankful when I awake in the morning to find I'm alive and the world's still here.
Right now, I'm looking out my window at a most ominous cloud - extremely rare for Las Vegas. I hear thunder and know a bolt of lightning could strike at any second.

So?

You do know there dumb fuck that those are just the recent ones... Don't you? The path is much longer than what you have shown...

You do know there dumb fuck that those are just the recent ones... Don't you? The path is much longer than what you have shown...
Doubling down on stupid, Billy Boob?

New geologic evidence for additional 16.5-15.5 Ma silicic calderas in
northwest Nevada related to initial impingement of the Yellowstone
hot spot
Matthew A. Coble and Gail A. Mahood
Dept. Geological and Environmental Sciences, 450 Serra Mall, Bldg 320, Stanford
University, Stanford, CA 94305-3115, USA

2008 IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 3 012002
(http://iopscience.iop.org/1755-1315/3/1/012002)

Doubling down on stupid, Billy Boob?

New geologic evidence for additional 16.5-15.5 Ma silicic calderas in
northwest Nevada related to initial impingement of the Yellowstone
hot spot
Matthew A. Coble and Gail A. Mahood
Dept. Geological and Environmental Sciences, 450 Serra Mall, Bldg 320, Stanford
University, Stanford, CA 94305-3115, USA

2008 IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 3 012002
(New geologic evidence for additional 16.5 15.5 Ma silicic calderas in northwest Nevada related to initial impingement of the Yellowstone hot spot - Abstract - IOP Conference Series Earth and Environmental Science - IOPscience)

Lets see if we can show your intellectual lacking..

images

There have been many volcanic areas where the North American Craton has been shoved across the hole in the plate over the millions of years. Given plate movements there are many others, the Yellowstone foot print just happens to be the most visible. A real geologist would look for clues and evidence, while using commonsense.

You can continue to show your ignorance and lack of cognitive thought on the matter. Go right on ahead, I won't stop you.. Its pure entertainment fun...

Your little cartoon even says plume flattening at 17 Ma. Once again you have been caught pulling nonsense numbers from your ass. Does nothing at all for your credibility.

We need to expand the geothermal power stations near the park. Over a span of centuries, that could suck the heat away safely. It will gradually ruin the Yellowstone geothermal features, but so it goes.
"Safely suck the heat away'!!!

You do realize that is ridiculously impossible?

What made you make such a crazy claim? Did you not think to run the numbers? I did. Remember, reason-based community here.

Heat energy in molten rock, about 1000 kj/kg

Density of magma, 2.5, or 2500 kg/m^3, or 2.5E12 kg/km^3

So, heat energy, 2.5 E15 kj/km^3

magma chamber, 400 km^3

Total heat energy, 1.0 E18 kj

You don't need to make the whole chamber cold rock. You just need to cool the top a little. 1% will do. 1.0E16 kj, or 1.0 E19 j

A 10 megawatt geothermal plant is 1.0 E7 joules/sec

100 wells operating continuously ... that would take 1^E10 sec. 317 years

The math and physics work exactly like I said. And the bedwetters will hate me forever for being good at math and physics, not to mention brimming with common sense.

Last edited:
I have watched as Yellow stone breaths over the years. The rise and fall of the ground. The rise and fall of ground temperatures. The recent rise of ground temperatures and rise of the Norris Basin area which continues today.

And I have watched as Billy makes up these nutty stories. He's personal friends with the researchers, you know. He has even read news from his computer as others worked in winter, that's the kind of sacrifice Billy makes.

Let's see what the people who actually monitor Yellowstone say.

USGS Volcano Hazards Program - Yellowstone Volcano Observatory Featured Articles Archive
---
1) First, everyone should know that geological activity, including earthquakes and ground uplift/subsidence is well within historical norms and seismicity is actually a bit low at present. (May 8, 2015)
---

Steam Explosions Quakes and Volcanic Eruptions What s in Yellowstone s Future USGS Fact Sheet 2005-3024
---
Any renewed volcanic activity at Yellowstone would most likely take the form of such mainly nonexplosive lava eruptions. An eruption of lava could cause widespread havoc in the park, including fires and the loss of roads and facilities, but more distant areas would probably remain largely unaffected.
---

Last edited:

And I have watched as Billy makes up these nutty stories. He's personal friends with the researchers, you know. He has even read news from his computer as others worked in winter, that's the kind of sacrifice Billy makes.

Let's see what the people who actually monitor Yellowstone say.

USGS Volcano Hazards Program - Yellowstone Volcano Observatory Featured Articles Archive
---
1) First, everyone should know that geological activity, including earthquakes and ground uplift/subsidence is well within historical norms and seismicity is actually a bit low at present. (May 8, 2015)
---

Steam Explosions Quakes and Volcanic Eruptions What s in Yellowstone s Future USGS Fact Sheet 2005-3024
---
Any renewed volcanic activity at Yellowstone would most likely take the form of such mainly nonexplosive lava eruptions. An eruption of lava could cause widespread havoc in the park, including fires and the loss of roads and facilities, but more distant areas would probably remain largely unaffected.
---
You really dont have a clue about progression of eruptions do you.. Nice cut and pastes but no context.

As to your claims about who I know or dont know, you really should remain silent. You simply dont know shit about anything. Making accusations about persons you cant support with verifiable knowledge is called libel.

Forum List

Back