the end to global warming?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
yellowstone supervolcano

Is the Yellowstone Supervolcano
Ready to Erupt?

Over the past two million years, the Yellowstone supervolcano has erupted every 600,000 years. It was 640,000 years ago when it last exploded. Another eruption, geologically speaking, is therefore, threatening.

Five miles beneath Yellowstone, lies an immense pool of red hot magma. Fed from the Earth's mantle, it has been growing. This reservoir of magma and gas is now 31 miles long, 19 miles wide, and six miles deep. The building pressures must be enormous.

The Yellowstone "hot spot" is considered the foundation of a rare "supervolcano." It is estimated that a supervolcano would erupt with the power at least 1000 times greater than that of an 'ordinary' volcano.

The eruption 640,000 years ago created an extremely large crater - the caldera - that today comprises a major portion of the center of the park.

Signs of increased volcanic activity have recently been observed in and around Yellowstone National Park. The north part of Yellowstone Lake has bulged by nearly 170 feet over the past 50 years. The lake has spread into forest on one side of the lake as the surface beneath the water has inflated.

A massive eruption of the Yelowstone supervolcano would be catastophic for North America and would also result in years of freezing temperatures for the rest of the planet as volcanic dust and ash obscured the warmth of the sun.

Should we all run for the hills....errrrr....flatland, and hide?

If Gaia wants to rid the earht of humans, there is nothing we can do about it. I won't lose a bit of sleep over the impending doom "The Litany" professes, from geologist or environmental nutjobs.

There have been predictions of impending doom about Yellowstone since man first discovered it. How is the danger any more imminent than it was 15 years or 15 minutes ago? (scientific guesses?)

I guess it's time to break out the Ouija board and see what it has to say about this winter's snowmobile trip.

I wonder if you would be able to drill a hole to relieve some of that pressure so the impeding eruption wouldn't be quite as bad?

gop_jeff said:
I wonder if you would be able to drill a hole to relieve some of that pressure so the impeding eruption wouldn't be quite as bad?

6 miles deep?

also, If theres that big of a bulge, drilling to relieve pressure would look like the scene from armegeddon where Max hit a gas pocket and it jettisoned him into space.

Here's food for thought, though:

If a volcano erupts in Wyoming, and the jet stream flows west to east, everyone west of Wyoming will be spared the massive ash dump. Therefore, property values on the West Coast should skyrocket if this actually happens.

Not that rising real estate values are my only concern in such a catastrophe...

gop_jeff said:
Here's food for thought, though:

If a volcano erupts in Wyoming, and the jet stream flows west to east, everyone west of Wyoming will be spared the massive ash dump. Therefore, property values on the West Coast should skyrocket if this actually happens.

Not that rising real estate values are my only concern in such a catastrophe...

along with the earthquake that would split the southwest US, you'd end up with the american gulf and alot of shoreline.

DKSuddeth said:
6 miles deep?

also, If theres that big of a bulge, drilling to relieve pressure would look like the scene from armegeddon where Max hit a gas pocket and it jettisoned him into space.

they say there is oil 25,000 feet deep here in Nevada. So I guess it can be done.

freeandfun1 said:
they say there is oil 25,000 feet deep here in Nevada. So I guess it can be done.

I'm sure the drilling could be done but would be expensive and hazardous, at best.

DKSuddeth said:
I'm sure the drilling could be done but would be expensive and hazardous, at best.

That's why they won't drill here. They said it costs something like $23.00 a barrel to drill the oil in Nevada but only $3.80 a barrel to take oil out of the ME.

Forum List

Back