Make it mandatory

Far too many youth are fat. Make it mandatory that every American school student be on a sports team and on a good diet.

Imagine if every student got the chance to look just as good as them?

Yeah, as if sticking fat kids on sports teams and making them even more uncomfortable is going to help.

There are SO MANY ways to help people with obesity, this is simply not one of them.

Kids playing sports is a good thing.

Far too many youth are fat. Make it mandatory that every American school student be on a sports team and on a good diet.

It's parents' job to raise their kids, not the schools. Statist idea is statist.

It's the parents' job to do this, yet no one is telling them how to do it PROPERLY, and they're teaching their kids how to do it BADLY. And so the cycle of stupidity continues.

And? Still not the government's job to be the parent.

1) The childhood obesity epidemic is a myth.

2) Not all parents are willing to sign a liability waiver for their kids to play on a sports team.

3) The government is notoriously corrupt and incapable recommending a healthy diet. For instance, currently the federal government recommends an unhealthy high-carb diet and has even approved the use of toxic industrial waste in school lunches.

It's parents' job to raise their kids, not the schools. Statist idea is statist.

It's the parents' job to do this, yet no one is telling them how to do it PROPERLY, and they're teaching their kids how to do it BADLY. And so the cycle of stupidity continues.

I didn't say it was their job to be the parent.

I said it was their job to sort out social problems. In order to solve this social problem them need to be educating people in how to do things properly. Clearly, I suggest it is quite clear, that many people have a problem when they're lacking the education which used to be passed down through the generations and now isn't, there is a big problem with people bringing up their kids, especially from poorer families, but also other families.

There was a program on TV, very interesting, by a guy called Jaime Oliver, a British chef who's into trying to educate kids so they have the skills for life.

Jamie Oliver s Food Revolution - TV.com

This is the program, I haven't watched it for a long time, but it's really worth watching to see how the US is simply not dealing with its problems on any level, this being one such example, and how the people fought against this, and even when he got some on his side he still had problems then with the govt.

I said it was their job to sort out social problems. In order to solve this social problem them need to be educating people in how to do things properly. Clearly, I suggest it is quite clear, that many people have a problem when they're lacking the education which used to be passed down through the generations and now isn't, there is a big problem with people bringing up their kids, especially from poorer families, but also other families.

There was a program on TV, very interesting, by a guy called Jaime Oliver, a British chef who's into trying to educate kids so they have the skills for life.

This is the program, I haven't watched it for a long time, but it's really worth watching to see how the US is simply not dealing with its problems on any level, this being one such example, and how the people fought against this, and even when he got some on his side he still had problems then with the govt.

NO, it isn't.

Jamie Oliver would have done better to hold seminars to educate parents rather than going directly into the schools. Schools shouldn't even be feeding kids anyway, that is also the parents job. Jamie Oliver got fat.

1) The childhood obesity epidemic is a myth.

2) Not all parents are willing to sign a liability waiver for their kids to play on a sports team.

3) The government is notoriously corrupt and incapable recommending a healthy diet. For instance, currently the federal government recommends an unhealthy high-carb diet and has even approved the use of toxic industrial waste in school lunches.

Yeah, the govt has done some really bad things. This is why government needs to change.

Govt is the cause of many of the problems, it's incapable of representing the people. AND YET, the people keep voting for the same two incompetent parties. I don't get it.

NO, it isn't.

Jamie Oliver would have done better to hold seminars to educate parents rather than going directly into the schools. Schools shouldn't even be feeding kids anyway, that is also the parents job. Jamie Oliver got fat.

Yes it is. It's even in the constitution.

"The Congress shall have Power To.....provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States"

Jaime WOULD NOT have been better to hold seminars. One thing that came out of the whole program was that he couldn't convince the govt that his program was a good one until it had been proven to work in schools, he couldn't prove it in schools until he was allowed to go into schools, he couldn't prove it worked in schools because the govt wouldn't let him prove it. The circular argument that gets everyone absolutely nowhere.

Educating parents without showing them it can be done. He was on TV showing them the big problems. How many do you think took notice? Maybe some, most not. So a seminar would have been a nice applause, telling him how great he was then ignoring him.

Schools shouldn't feed kids? I mean, they're at school from morning to afternoon and the kids SHOULDN'T BE EATING unless it's parents' food?

The BIG PROBLEM with your lovely utopia of an argument is that many parents are too busy working. I mean, seeing as the whole capitalism is best in the US is that many people work TOO MUCH and don't have the time to look after their parents.

Secondly, school is about EDUCATION. Food education is important. Teaching kids about healthy eating should be a must. Teaching them and also following their own guidelines (ie, those educating should be educated and follow by example) and when parents CHOOSE to take up school food (that's parents feeding their kids, right? I mean, they're paying for it, the same as when they go to McDonalds to buy McShit Burgers, they're feeding their kids) they should do so in the knowledge that this food is HEALTHY FOOD.

But then I remember the thread about Michelle Obama and ketchup sachets and everyone going mental (on the right) about the govt telling kids what to eat. They weren't, the parents could have chosen NOT TO GIVE THEM the school meal.

NO, it isn't.

Yes it is. It's even in the constitution.

"The Congress shall have Power To.....provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States"

Jaime WOULD NOT have been better to hold seminars. One thing that came out of the whole program was that he couldn't convince the govt that his program was a good one until it had been proven to work in schools, he couldn't prove it in schools until he was allowed to go into schools, he couldn't prove it worked in schools because the govt wouldn't let him prove it. The circular argument that gets everyone absolutely nowhere.

Educating parents without showing them it can be done. He was on TV showing them the big problems. How many do you think took notice? Maybe some, most not. So a seminar would have been a nice applause, telling him how great he was then ignoring him.

Schools shouldn't feed kids? I mean, they're at school from morning to afternoon and the kids SHOULDN'T BE EATING unless it's parents' food?

The BIG PROBLEM with your lovely utopia of an argument is that many parents are too busy working. I mean, seeing as the whole capitalism is best in the US is that many people work TOO MUCH and don't have the time to look after their parents.

Secondly, school is about EDUCATION. Food education is important. Teaching kids about healthy eating should be a must. Teaching them and also following their own guidelines (ie, those educating should be educated and follow by example) and when parents CHOOSE to take up school food (that's parents feeding their kids, right? I mean, they're paying for it, the same as when they go to McDonalds to buy McShit Burgers, they're feeding their kids) they should do so in the knowledge that this food is HEALTHY FOOD.

But then I remember the thread about Michelle Obama and ketchup sachets and everyone going mental (on the right) about the govt telling kids what to eat. They weren't, the parents could have chosen NOT TO GIVE THEM the school meal.

The gen welfare clause does not grant Congress the power to legislate for the general welfare of the country, it allows Congress to spend federal money for the general welfare. Their power is limited to collecting the money for defence and general welfare ... not sorting out social problems.

"The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States."

No, schools should not be in the business of feeding kids. It's the parent's job to provide for their children. Pack their lunch ... then parent's have control over what's being fed to their kids. Get rid of the vending machines in schools too, soda as well. All of it (water is ok). No, my taxes shouldn't be going to feed your kids. You feed them so my taxes can go to educating kids, which is what schools are suppose to do. Teach them about nutrition? No problem. Get them out of the food business though.

Oliver couldn't convince the government because the government wants full control. Government's food chart is completely wrong and if followed, keeps people fat. But you want government to just have full control. Dumb. Big agri is in bed with big gov ... of course they want to keep common sense Oliver out.

What sports team would you suggest for kids who are handicapped?

The gen welfare clause does not grant Congress the power to legislate for the general welfare of the country, it allows Congress to spend federal money for the general welfare. Their power is limited to collecting the money for defence and general welfare ... not sorting out social problems.

"The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States."

No, schools should not be in the business of feeding kids. It's the parent's job to provide for their children. Pack their lunch ... then parent's have control over what's being fed to their kids. Get rid of the vending machines in schools too, soda as well. All of it (water is ok). No, my taxes shouldn't be going to feed your kids. You feed them so my taxes can go to educating kids, which is what schools are suppose to do. Teach them about nutrition? No problem. Get them out of the food business though.

Oliver couldn't convince the government because the government wants full control. Government's food chart is completely wrong and if followed, keeps people fat. But you want government to just have full control. Dumb. Big agri is in bed with big gov ... of course they want to keep common sense Oliver out.

General welfare doesn't involve general welfare..... hmmm.......

I think you need to re-read the clause.

If Congress has the power to collect taxes for the general welfare, don't you think it actually has the power to use this money for general welfare?

Taxing and Spending Clause - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"
Implicit power to spend[edit]
With the power to tax implicitly comes the power to spend the revenues raised thereby in order to meet the objectives and goals of the government. To what extent this power ought to be utilized by the Congress has been the source of continued dispute and debate since the inception of the federal government, as will be explained below. However, interpretations recognizing an implicit power to spend have been questioned.[15]

The Supreme Court has also found that, in addition to the power to use taxes to punish disfavored conduct, Congress can also use its power to spend to encourage favored conduct. In South Dakota v. Dole,[16] the Court upheld a federal law which withheld highway funds from states that did not raise their legal drinking age to 21."

Again, if the parent CHOOSES to have their kid fed at school, what's the problem?

So, if parents go to McDonalds they should take packed lunches, it's not the responsibility of private companies to feed the kids, it's the parents' responsibility?

Yes, get rid of vending machines, I never had them at school.

I didn't say taxes should be going to feed kids. I said that schools should provide meals for kids that they pay for. But those they do provide should be healthy food and parents have the choice of whether to accept or not.

Sure, Oliver couldn't convince a govt that is only interested in itself and those who fund their re-elections. This is what's wrong with the US. It' goes down so far that many people are arguing for govt to stay out of everything because they do it badly. So people rely on themselves and many do it badly because they simply don't have the skills necessary to be live a life as an adult properly.

Oliver knows a few good unoriginal recipes but he doesn't know jack about nutrition.

Yeah, as if sticking fat kids on sports teams and making them even more uncomfortable is going to help.

There are SO MANY ways to help people with obesity, this is simply not one of them.

Kids playing sports is a good thing.

"Good" does not equate to "so the government should mandate it".

Oliver knows a few good unoriginal recipes but he doesn't know jack about nutrition.

Does he need to know much about nutrition? I don't know much, but I know enough to know there's a massive problem and people need to know a lot more than they do.

General welfare doesn't involve general welfare..... hmmm.......

I think you need to re-read the clause.

If Congress has the power to collect taxes for the general welfare, don't you think it actually has the power to use this money for general welfare?

Taxing and Spending Clause - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"
Implicit power to spend[edit]
With the power to tax implicitly comes the power to spend the revenues raised thereby in order to meet the objectives and goals of the government. To what extent this power ought to be utilized by the Congress has been the source of continued dispute and debate since the inception of the federal government, as will be explained below. However, interpretations recognizing an implicit power to spend have been questioned.[15]

The Supreme Court has also found that, in addition to the power to use taxes to punish disfavored conduct, Congress can also use its power to spend to encourage favored conduct. In South Dakota v. Dole,[16] the Court upheld a federal law which withheld highway funds from states that did not raise their legal drinking age to 21."

Again, if the parent CHOOSES to have their kid fed at school, what's the problem?

So, if parents go to McDonalds they should take packed lunches, it's not the responsibility of private companies to feed the kids, it's the parents' responsibility?

Yes, get rid of vending machines, I never had them at school.

I didn't say taxes should be going to feed kids. I said that schools should provide meals for kids that they pay for. But those they do provide should be healthy food and parents have the choice of whether to accept or not.

Sure, Oliver couldn't convince a govt that is only interested in itself and those who fund their re-elections. This is what's wrong with the US. It' goes down so far that many people are arguing for govt to stay out of everything because they do it badly. So people rely on themselves and many do it badly because they simply don't have the skills necessary to be live a life as an adult properly.

The g/w clause doesn't give congress the power to legislate general welfare ... you know, like making mandatory the joining of a sports team and eating the foods the gov't says people should.

You may be paying for the meal but taxes go towards paying the workers and food purchases.

No, schools should not be feeding kids. Schools are there to teach children; parents are the children's providers of necessities, like food. If you want to buy a Mickey D lunch and pack it for your kid, have at it I don't care. Take all the money spent on food/cafeteria workers, etc and give it to the teachers.

"So, if parents go to McDonalds they should take packed lunches, it's not the responsibility of private companies to feed the kids, it's the parents' responsibility?" wtf does this even mean? Since when is McD's a school funded with taxpayer money?

Had Oliver taught the parents about good food/prep/nutrition then the parents would be better able to send their kids to school with a proper lunch, no need for purchasing the schools food. If everyone did this then the school food could just go away ... as it should.

Does he need to know much about nutrition? I don't know much, but I know enough to know there's a massive problem and people need to know a lot more than they do.

People have all the knowledge they need right at their fingertips via the internet. If they really wanted to know about nutrition/healthy eating, etc they would. A lot of people are simply lazy, they'd rather go to the drive-through rather than spend the time/energy preparing food at home.

Forum List

Back