Mainers defend Somali neighbors against Trump

Source: Boston Globe
On Thursday, the real estate tycoon told supporters that “we’ve just seen many, many crimes getting worse all the time, and as Maine knows — a major destination for Somali refugees — right, am I right?”

“Well, they’re all talking about it,” he continued. “Maine. Somali refugees. We admit hundreds of thousands — you admit, into Maine, and to other places in the United States — hundreds of thousands of refugees.”

In Lewiston, where an estimated 7,000 Somalis live, police said Friday that crime is going down, not up.

Read more: Maine sees a Somalian community starkly different than what Donald Trump portrayed - The Boston Globe

Interesting that crime is going down.

Decades ago there was a cat named Deforest Perkins who went around Maine stirring up hatred against immigrants too. His organization recruited members and even got a governor elected there.

That organization was called the Ku Klux Klan (about which more here)

Fortunately they fizzled out, although that governor (Brewster) hung on long enough to become a Joe McCarthy fellow traveller.

These things are flashes in the pan -- bright for a short time and then ::pop::

The Know Nothing Party got the mayor of Portland elected too -- who then fell victim to the Portland Rum Riots.
So, Trump beat the Somali neighbor or not? The title of the thread says neighbors defended Somalis AGAINST Trump. It is a concrete reference to an physical attack personally carried out by somebody named Trump.

Only if your reading comprehension is on par with a weed.

"Attacks" don't have to be physical. Let me quote how another guy put it:
"There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy; and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone." -- Rod Serling, 1960
Don't lecture me you anti-American Intelligentsia Elitist. If it were defense against rhetoric it should say so, thus : "Mainers defend Somali neighbors against Trump's rhetoric" or similar to that. You can stick your Academia inspired analysis up into your rear end.

Ah, lost in literalism and can't figure his way out. :lol:

Good luck swimming in Asperger's soup without a life vest there, Natalie Wood.

"There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy; and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone." -- Rod Serling, 1960
You do realize you are quoting the Twilight Zone, right?

It was a surreal show of 60 years ago. Seriously stupid stuff.

I do realize I'm quoting Rod Serling, who detested bigotry and used that forum to run compelling morality plays on it.

But it's instructive that you characterize an anti-bigotry screed as "seriously stupid".

In this case the aliens landed and pulled a zen on the town, simply turning off their electrical power and watching the humans turn on each other and destroy the place out of ignorance, fear and suspicion. A lesson that indubitably flies over your pointed little head.
The stupidity Pogo, as always, is yours. You're hapless at so many things like math and just thinking. The thin veneer of self-righteousness you cloak yourself in doesn't make it any less obvious.

I watched the Twilight Zone as a child and it was pretty cool. It must be wonderful to never grow up - a veritable Toy-R-Us kid.

Read more: Maine sees a Somalian community starkly different than what Donald Trump portrayed - The Boston Globe

Decades ago there was a cat named Deforest Perkins who went around Maine stirring up hatred against immigrants too. His organization recruited members and even got a governor elected there.

Fortunately they fizzled out, although that governor (Brewster) hung on long enough to become a Joe McCarthy fellow traveller.

The Know Nothing Party got the mayor of Portland elected too -- who then fell victim to the Portland Rum Riots.
So, Trump beat the Somali neighbor or not? The title of the thread says neighbors defended Somalis AGAINST Trump. It is a concrete reference to an physical attack personally carried out by somebody named Trump.

Don't lecture me you anti-American Intelligentsia Elitist. If it were defense against rhetoric it should say so, thus : "Mainers defend Somali neighbors against Trump's rhetoric" or similar to that. You can stick your Academia inspired analysis up into your rear end.

Your spinning attempts never cease to amaze me. Words mean things, at least that's how it used to be before your anti-American Academia with the willing cooperation of the Global Elitist media started to wage war on the freedom of speech. It is called Political Correctness: a selective application of Freedom of Speech.

I do realize I'm quoting Rod Serling, who detested bigotry and used that forum to run compelling morality plays on it.

But it's instructive that you characterize an anti-bigotry screed as "seriously stupid".

In this case the aliens landed and pulled a zen on the town, simply turning off their electrical power and watching the humans turn on each other and destroy the place out of ignorance, fear and suspicion. A lesson that indubitably flies over your pointed little head.
The stupidity Pogo, as always, is yours. You're hapless at so many things like math and just thinking. The thin veneer of self-righteousness you cloak yourself in doesn't make it any less obvious.

I watched the Twilight Zone as a child and it was pretty cool. It must be wonderful to never grow up - a veritable Toy-R-Us kid.

Then it's odd you turn around and call it "seriously stupid stuff" when it's used to denounce the bigotry you nap under.

Get it --- bigotry... nap under?

Nah, you prolly don't.

Your spinning attempts never cease to amaze me. Words mean things, at least that's how it used to be before your anti-American Academia with the willing cooperation of the Global Elitist media started to wage war on the freedom of speech. It is called Political Correctness: a selective application of Freedom of Speech.

Actually it's called "willing to appear stupid because you can't bear having missed the point".

Hey, go with what yer good at.

[

Then it's odd you turn around and call it "seriously stupid stuff" when it's used to denounce the bigotry you nap under.

Nah, you prolly don't.
I'm pretty sure the nappy hair is yours. You're just an idiot, but not so much so that you don't know it.

The twilight zone is much closer for some of us

[

Nah, you prolly don't.
I'm pretty sure the nappy hair is yours. You're just an idiot, but not so much so that you don't know it.

Called it.
That's OK I post jokes for those intelligent enough to get them. I can be patient.

Actually it's called "willing to appear stupid because you can't bear having missed the point".

What I did not miss is your spin and support for non-vetted Muslims flooding the country posing potential terrorist threat. Gotta go watching U.S. Women's soccer team playing against the Frogs. If you watched you would root for the Frogs for two reasons.
1./ you are anti-American
2./ your fondness of Robespierrean cruelty

On Thursday, the real estate tycoon told supporters that “we’ve just seen many, many crimes getting worse all the time, and as Maine knows — a major destination for Somali refugees — right, am I right?”

“Well, they’re all talking about it,” he continued. “Maine. Somali refugees. We admit hundreds of thousands — you admit, into Maine, and to other places in the United States — hundreds of thousands of refugees.”

In Lewiston, where an estimated 7,000 Somalis live, police said Friday that crime is going down, not up.

Are they Somali or are they American? If they're not American, fuck them!

What I did not miss is your spin and support for non-vetted Muslims flooding the country posing potential terrorist threat. Gotta go watching U.S. Women's soccer team playing against the Frogs. If you watched you would root for the Frogs for two reasons.

Rilly. And what "non-vetted Muslims" would these be then? Hm?

No I'm not watching the Olympiads for two reasons:
1. I'm not that interested -- never have been....
2. It offends my intelligence to have them called the "Summer" Olympics. It's WINTER in Brazil. Dat's hemispherist.

As long as they're not in my neighborhood.

In fact, let's recommend that when Hillary ups the refugee count coming in by over 500%, like she says she will, let's have them move to Maine since they are welcome there.

2. It offends my intelligence to have them called the "Summer" Olympics. It's WINTER in Brazil. Dat's hemispherist.

Of course you're not interested in the Olympics, you're a liberal for gods sake, and there are winners and losers in the Olympics, and the non-medal losers don't get trophy's for trying.

They defend Somali neighbors AGAINST Trump?
Did Trump attack them? How extensive are the personal injuries, hospitalization, intensive unit or not life threatening? Why did he do it? Is the motive unknown at the present? Please update as more info comes in.
After they interpreted Trumps compliment toward Kahn's wife, I conclude they think everything coming out of his mouth is an attack.

Ironically, his speeches are always comprised of saying how great everyone is. It would be interesting if someone actually counted the number of times he builds people up in his speeches. I bet it's a very high number.

Of course you're not interested in the Olympics, you're a liberal for gods sake, and there are winners and losers in the Olympics, and the non-medal losers don't get trophy's for trying.

It just ain't my thing, man. I'm a baseball fan.
Besides -- I don't have a TV.

Forum List

Back