Mainers defend Somali neighbors against Trump

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Source: Boston Globe
On Thursday, the real estate tycoon told supporters that “we’ve just seen many, many crimes getting worse all the time, and as Maine knows — a major destination for Somali refugees — right, am I right?”

“Well, they’re all talking about it,” he continued. “Maine. Somali refugees. We admit hundreds of thousands — you admit, into Maine, and to other places in the United States — hundreds of thousands of refugees.”

In Lewiston, where an estimated 7,000 Somalis live, police said Friday that crime is going down, not up.

Read more: Maine sees a Somalian community starkly different than what Donald Trump portrayed - The Boston Globe

Interesting that crime is going down.

The Somali's have pretty much made themselves to home, gotten to work or school and are as good neighbors as anyone else. I chuckled when I heard Trump saying that the other day, because I knew it was going to fall flat with the majority of Mainers, including our Republican senator, Susan Collins.

They defend Somali neighbors AGAINST Trump?
Did Trump attack them? How extensive are the personal injuries, hospitalization, intensive unit or not life threatening? Why did he do it? Is the motive unknown at the present? Please update as more info comes in.

Did Trump attack them? How extensive are the personal injuries, hospitalization, intensive unit or not life threatening? Why did he do it? Is the motive unknown at the present? Please update as more info comes in.

Shouldn't you be putting that tongue to use on Flush's 'tain't, Queefcon?

Shouldn't you be putting that tongue to use on Flush's 'tain't, Queefcon?
Slimdick, why don't you just go back to the hellhole you came from? Bye....

On Thursday, the real estate tycoon told supporters that “we’ve just seen many, many crimes getting worse all the time, and as Maine knows — a major destination for Somali refugees — right, am I right?”

“Well, they’re all talking about it,” he continued. “Maine. Somali refugees. We admit hundreds of thousands — you admit, into Maine, and to other places in the United States — hundreds of thousands of refugees.”

In Lewiston, where an estimated 7,000 Somalis live, police said Friday that crime is going down, not up.

Read more: Maine sees a Somalian community starkly different than what Donald Trump portrayed - The Boston Globe

Decades ago there was a cat named Eugene Farnsworth who went around Maine stirring up hatred against immigrants too. His organization recruited members and even got a governor elected there.

That organization was called the Ku Klux Klan (about which more here)

Fortunately they fizzled out, although that governor (Brewster) hung on long enough to become a Joe McCarthy fellow traveller.

These things are flashes in the pan -- bright for a short time and then : pop::

The Know Nothing Party -- spiritual antecedent of the Klan -- got the mayor of Portland elected too -- who then fell victim to the Portland Rum Riot.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Somalis all over Maine. I know people in Lewiston and they are not glowing at all. The Somalis have made life almost unbearable. Gangs of Somali young men assault and rob people on the street with impunity. Older people are all but hostages in their own homes. Reported crime is low. Within the Somali community it is close to zero.

Some years ago, the police agreed that petty crimes and random assaults would not be reported at all. A panel of Somali elders would deal with crimes perpetrated by their young men. If an American defended himself agsinst a somali attack, that would be reported.

The Somali's have pretty much made themselves to home, gotten to work or school and are as good neighbors as anyone else. I chuckled when I heard Trump saying that the other day, because I knew it was going to fall flat with the majority of Mainers, including our Republican senator, Susan Collins.

Ah, so you're a Maineiac :)

My father's roots go way back there.

Decades ago there was a cat named Deforest Perkins who went around Maine stirring up hatred against immigrants too. His organization recruited members and even got a governor elected there.

Fortunately they fizzled out, although that governor (Brewster) hung on long enough to become a Joe McCarthy fellow traveller.

These things are flashes in the pan -- bright for a short time and then ::pop::

The Know Nothing Party got the mayor of Portland elected too -- who then fell victim to the Portland Rum Riots.
So, Trump beat the Somali neighbor or not? The title of the thread says neighbors defended Somalis AGAINST Trump. It is a concrete reference to an physical attack personally carried out by somebody named Trump.

Trump was probably referencing the number of Somalis going overseas for terrorist training.

africans are terrifying. they'll chop your head off.

Ah, so you're a Maineiac :)

My father's roots go way back there.
'Splains the affinity, I guess. Mom and Dad's roots both go back before the Revolution, but they moved to upstate New York before I was born, so I will always be "from away." Lived here full-time for over 20 years, though, where my heart has always called home.
When I first moved up here I was subbing in a high school English class and a kid raised his hand and asked out of the blue if I was Swedish. I definitely don't look Swedish. It was years before I figured out he was trying to puzzle out my ACCENT.
Anyway, now with heavy heart I will go back and read your link about the KKK in Maine.

I don't know about the Somalis all over Maine. I know people in Lewiston and they are not glowing at all. The Somalis have made life almost unbearable. Gangs of Somali young men assault and rob people on the street with impunity. Older people are all but hostages in their own homes. Reported crime is low. Within the Somali community it is close to zero.

Some years ago, the police agreed that petty crimes and random assaults would not be reported at all. A panel of Somali elders would deal with crimes perpetrated by their young men. If an American defended himself agsinst a somali attack, that would be reported.

Imagine where we would all be if we didn't have a Canadian contract undulator to speak the truth the Lewiston police won't....

Decades ago there was a cat named Deforest Perkins who went around Maine stirring up hatred against immigrants too. His organization recruited members and even got a governor elected there.

The Know Nothing Party got the mayor of Portland elected too -- who then fell victim to the Portland Rum Riots.
So, Trump beat the Somali neighbor or not? The title of the thread says neighbors defended Somalis AGAINST Trump. It is a concrete reference to an physical attack personally carried out by somebody named Trump.

Only if your reading comprehension is on par with a weed.

"Attacks" don't have to be physical. Let me quote how another guy put it:
"There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy; and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone." -- Rod Serling, 1960

Imagine where we would all be if we didn't have a Canadian contract undulator to speak the truth the Lewiston police won't....
You're not mixing her up with TinyDancer, are you?

"There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy; and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is, that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone." -- Rod Serling, 1960
You do realize you are quoting the Twilight Zone, right?

It was a surreal show of 60 years ago. Seriously stupid stuff.

Trump broke the racial and religious barriers down in Palm Beach with his club. The FIRST to allow Jews and Blacks.

Fuck off Matthew.

You do realize you are quoting the Twilight Zone, right?

It was a surreal show of 60 years ago. Seriously stupid stuff.

I do realize I'm quoting Rod Serling, who detested bigotry and used that forum to run compelling morality plays on it.

But it's instructive that you characterize an anti-bigotry screed as "seriously stupid".

In this case the aliens landed and pulled a zen on the town, simply turning off their electrical power and watching the humans turn on each other and destroy the place out of ignorance, fear and suspicion. A lesson that indubitably flies over your pointed little head.

Only if your reading comprehension is on par with a weed.

Don't lecture me you anti-American Intelligentsia Elitist. If it were defense against rhetoric it should say so, thus : "Mainers defend Somali neighbors against Trump's rhetoric" or similar to that. You can stick your Academia inspired analysis up into your rear end.

Forum List

Back