Made in Bangladesh.........

What about the parents who aren't using their children as human shields, Eb.
Are they simply poor investors?

what?? if they are not using their children as shields then their child are out of harms way!! How slow are you??
Slower than a Hellfire missile; how about you?

what?? if the terrorists are not using their children as shields then their children are out of harms way!! How stupid are you??

Bangladesh clothing factory toll goes over 1,000...
:eek:
Bangladesh factory collapse toll passes 1,000
9 May 2013 - The death toll from Bangladesh's worst industrial accident has passed 1,000 people, as recovery teams continue to find more bodies in the wreckage.
The eight-storey Rana Plaza factory building, in Dhaka, collapsed on 24 April, with an unknown number inside. The authorities say about 2,500 people were injured in the accident and 2,437 people were rescued. The recovery operation is expected to finish on Friday. The rubble will then be shifted by bulldozers. Army Captain Shahnewaz Zakaria told news agency AFP that 130 more bodies had been recovered from the rubble since Thursday morning.

_67230702_garment_workers624.gif

Many bodies were decomposed, but could be identified by mobile phones in their pockets or staff passes, he said, adding that "most [of the dead] are female garment workers". The authorities are taking DNA samples from the victims, which can be used in future compensation claims, AFP reported. The Rana Plaza building had housed a number of garment factories. A number of officials - including the building owner - have since been arrested and charged with causing deaths by negligence.

Protesters have taken to the streets calling for the death penalty for the owner, and garment workers have alleged that they were forced to work in the building despite cracks appearing on the walls. Bangladesh has one of the largest garment industries in the world, and some of the clothes produced in the Rana Plaza building were made for Western retailers. On Wednesday, Bangladesh announced a shut down of 18 garment factories for safety reasons, amid growing concerns over the issue of industrial safety across the country.

BBC News - Bangladesh factory collapse toll passes 1,000

You have to wonder if some capitalists in Bangladesh and their political cronies aren't praying for a Syrian invasion of Israel...

"The Bangladeshi Nobel Peace Prize winner, Muhammad Yunus, wrote in an article published by local newspapers on Thursday that the disaster was 'a symbol of our failure as a nation'.

"'The crack in Rana Plaza that caused the collapse of the building has only shown us that if we don't face up to the cracks in our state systems, we as a nation will get lost in the debris of the collapse,' he added.'"

More powerful states than Bangladesh or Syria or Israel are showing gaping cracks in their foundations. Their debris will glow in the dark.

BBC News - Bangladesh factory collapse toll passes 1,000

It's a miracle she's alive...
:clap2:
Finding woman alive lifts Bangladesh rescuers
May 10,`13 -- Even amid the euphoria over finding a woman alive in the rubble of a garment factory that collapsed more than two weeks ago, rescuers on Saturday returned to the grim task of dismantling the wreckage and retrieving decomposing bodies, knowing there was little chance of finding any more survivors.
The death toll from Bangladesh's worst industrial disaster is more than 1,000 and climbing. More than 2,500 people were rescued in the immediate aftermath of the April 24 disaster, but until Friday, crews had gone nearly two weeks without discovering anyone alive. Then, in the midst of what had become a grim search for decaying bodies following the world's worst garment industry disaster, rescuers found a woman alive, providing a much-needed boost for the weary workers. For 17 days, the woman, a seamstress, lay trapped in a dark basement pocket beneath thousands of tons of wreckage as temperatures outside climbed into the mid-30s Celsius (mid-90s Fahrenheit). She rationed food and water. She banged a pipe to attract attention. She was fast losing hope of ever making it out alive.

In the ruins of the collapsed eight-store garment factory building above her, the frantic rescue operation had long ago ended. "No one heard me. It was so bad for me. I never dreamed I'd see the daylight again," the seamstress, Reshma Begum, told Somoy TV from her hospital bed after her astonishing rescue on Friday. The miraculous moment came when salvage workers finally heard Begum's banging. They pulled her to safety. She was in shockingly good condition, wearing a violet outfit with a large, bright pink scarf. "I heard her say, `I am alive, please save me.' I gave her water. She was OK," said Miraj Hossain, a volunteer who crawled through the debris to help cut Begum free.

The rescue was broadcast on television across Bangladesh. The prime minister rushed to the hospital, as did the woman's family to embrace a loved one they thought they'd never again see alive. On April 24, Begum was working in a factory on the second floor of Rana Plaza when the building began collapsing around her. She said she raced down a stairwell into the basement, where she became trapped near a Muslim prayer room in a wide pocket that allowed her to survive.

Her long hair got stuck under the rubble, but she used sharp objects to cut her hair and free herself, said Maj. Gen. Chowdhury Hasan Suhrawardy, the head of the local military units in charge of the disaster site. "There was some dried food around me. I ate the dried food for 15 days. The last two days I had nothing but water. I used to drink only a limited quantity of water to save it. I had some bottles of water around me," Begum told the television station, as doctors and nurses milled about, giving her saline and checking her condition.

MORE

See also:

Some have survived many days after calamities
May 10,`13 - Reshma Begum's survival for 17 days without medical assistance in the collapsed eight-floor garment factory building in Bangladesh isn't the only remarkable story of perseverance in recent years:
- 69 days: A crew of 33 Chilean miners were pinned nearly a half-mile underground for more than two months. The men stretched an emergency food supply meant to last just 48 hours over 2 1/2 weeks, taking tiny sips of milk and bites of tuna fish every other day. After that, they received food and water threaded down to them through a tiny borehole.

- 27 days: Rice vender Evans Monsignac, 27, was found in a collapsed flea market nearly a month after a Jan. 12, 2010 earthquake in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Countering speculation that he had access to food and clean water, he told a British newspaper that he survived by sipping sewage.

- 25 days: Three miners were found alive in July 2009 after being trapped in a flooded mine in southern China. The miners drank water that seeped through the earth, authorities said.

- 16 days: Sales clerk Park Sung-Hyun, 19, survived under a collapsed shopping mall in 1995 in Seoul, South Korea.

- 15 days: Construction worker Ari Afrizal survived on a raft at sea after the Indian Ocean tsunami in December 2004.

- 15 days: A 32-year-old fisherman and his brother and niece were rescued from their dinghy after surviving on raw fish and a bottle of water when Hurricane Pauline hit Mexico in 1997.

Source

Maybe the current prime minister who "rushed to the hospital" and a few of her rich crony capitalist friends deserve 17 days in a hole?

"Hasina's political career has spanned more than four decades during which she has been both Prime Minister and opposition leader. As opposition leader, she was the target of an assassination attempt in 2004.

"In 2007, she was arrested for corruption and charged with murder by the military-backed Caretaker Government during the 2006–2008 Bangladeshi political crisis, when the generals imposed a state of emergency. She returned as Prime Minister after a landslide victory for the Awami League-led Grand Alliance in 2008, when they took two-thirds of the seats in parliament."

Sheikh Hasina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe the current prime minister who "rushed to the hospital" and a few of her rich crony capitalist friends deserve 17 days in a hole?

"Hasina's political career has spanned more than four decades during which she has been both Prime Minister and opposition leader. As opposition leader, she was the target of an assassination attempt in 2004.

"In 2007, she was arrested for corruption and charged with murder by the military-backed Caretaker Government during the 2006–2008 Bangladeshi political crisis, when the generals imposed a state of emergency. She returned as Prime Minister after a landslide victory for the Awami League-led Grand Alliance in 2008, when they took two-thirds of the seats in parliament."

Sheikh Hasina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

buildings collapse in America too! We should not blame the builders though but rather capitalism even when we don't have capitalism just like Bangledesh does not have capitalism.

Now do you see how smart liberals are. If a duck coughs its an excuse to blame capitalism even when there is no connection whatsoever.

Its 100% pure liberal ignorance

Miraculous survival and recovery...
Woman rescued from Bangladesh rubble recovering
May 11,`13 -- A seamstress who survived 17 days before being rescued from a collapsed garment factory building was panicked, dehydrated and suffering from insomnia as she recovered in a Bangladesh hospital Saturday, but was in generally good condition, according to her doctors.
The rescue Friday of 19-year-old Reshma Begum brought a boost to the workers who had spent more than two weeks pulling decaying bodies from the rubble. By Saturday, they had resumed their grim task and the death toll surpassed 1,100 in the world's worst garment industry disaster. `'We will not leave the operation until the last dead body and living person is found," said Maj. Gen. Chowdhury Hasan Suhrawardy, the head of the local military units in charge of rescue operations.

Lt. Col. Azizur Rahman, a doctor at the military hospital where Begum is being treated, said she was exhausted and badly stressed when she was brought in an ambulance Friday afternoon. She suffered scratches, but no major injuries, he said. Her kidneys were functioning at less than 45 percent and she suffered insomnia. "She is panicked, sometimes she holds nurses' hands tight," he said. Doctors were giving her semi-solid food and saline for her dehydration. They advised complete rest, and barred reporters from speaking with her for fear their questions would worsen her fragile psychological state. "We don't want those memories to haunt her now, so we are not allowing anybody to ask her anything," Rahman said, adding that a team of psychiatrists will be examining her. Nevertheless, Suhrawardy said Begum told him she was fine.

Several photographers and cameramen were allowed to take pictures of Begum on Saturday afternoon as she lay on her hospital bed. Her head was covered in a neon green scarf, and she looked tired but alert. A white sheet covered her up to her neck. She was hooked to a monitor and had an intravenous drip in her left arm. Begum had spent 17 days in a room-like area under the rubble high enough for her to stand, surviving on dried food, bottled water and rain water, Suhrawardy said. She got fresh air from some of the 27 air holes that rescuers had dug in the rubble. She even found cartons of dresses inside and was able to change her clothes, he said. "Her return is amazing, miraculous," he said.

Begum's family said they - like many other families of workers still missing - had been losing hope of finding her alive. Her brother Zayed Islam said her relatives had initially camped out at the collapse site and then moved to the hospital in the first days after the disaster, hoping to find her among the injured. Eventually, they moved to the school ground that had been turned into a makeshift morgue, so they could try to find her among the dead bodies. Then, Friday, they were told to come back to the hospital - she was alive. "I just could not believe it when I saw her in the hospital," her mother, Zobeda Begum, said through tears. "My daughter has come back to me. God, you are merciful and I don't have anything else to ask for from you."

MORE

Miraculous survival and recovery...
Woman rescued from Bangladesh rubble recovering
May 11,`13 -- A seamstress who survived 17 days before being rescued from a collapsed garment factory building was panicked, dehydrated and suffering from insomnia as she recovered in a Bangladesh hospital Saturday, but was in generally good condition, according to her doctors.
The rescue Friday of 19-year-old Reshma Begum brought a boost to the workers who had spent more than two weeks pulling decaying bodies from the rubble. By Saturday, they had resumed their grim task and the death toll surpassed 1,100 in the world's worst garment industry disaster. `'We will not leave the operation until the last dead body and living person is found," said Maj. Gen. Chowdhury Hasan Suhrawardy, the head of the local military units in charge of rescue operations.

Lt. Col. Azizur Rahman, a doctor at the military hospital where Begum is being treated, said she was exhausted and badly stressed when she was brought in an ambulance Friday afternoon. She suffered scratches, but no major injuries, he said. Her kidneys were functioning at less than 45 percent and she suffered insomnia. "She is panicked, sometimes she holds nurses' hands tight," he said. Doctors were giving her semi-solid food and saline for her dehydration. They advised complete rest, and barred reporters from speaking with her for fear their questions would worsen her fragile psychological state. "We don't want those memories to haunt her now, so we are not allowing anybody to ask her anything," Rahman said, adding that a team of psychiatrists will be examining her. Nevertheless, Suhrawardy said Begum told him she was fine.

Several photographers and cameramen were allowed to take pictures of Begum on Saturday afternoon as she lay on her hospital bed. Her head was covered in a neon green scarf, and she looked tired but alert. A white sheet covered her up to her neck. She was hooked to a monitor and had an intravenous drip in her left arm. Begum had spent 17 days in a room-like area under the rubble high enough for her to stand, surviving on dried food, bottled water and rain water, Suhrawardy said. She got fresh air from some of the 27 air holes that rescuers had dug in the rubble. She even found cartons of dresses inside and was able to change her clothes, he said. "Her return is amazing, miraculous," he said.

Begum's family said they - like many other families of workers still missing - had been losing hope of finding her alive. Her brother Zayed Islam said her relatives had initially camped out at the collapse site and then moved to the hospital in the first days after the disaster, hoping to find her among the injured. Eventually, they moved to the school ground that had been turned into a makeshift morgue, so they could try to find her among the dead bodies. Then, Friday, they were told to come back to the hospital - she was alive. "I just could not believe it when I saw her in the hospital," her mother, Zobeda Begum, said through tears. "My daughter has come back to me. God, you are merciful and I don't have anything else to ask for from you."

MORE

buildings collapse in America too! We should not blame the builders though but rather capitalism even when we don't have capitalism just like Bangledesh does not have capitalism.

Bangladesh clothing factory collapse search ends...
:eusa_eh:
Bangladesh collapse search over; death toll 1,127
May 13,`13 -- Nearly three weeks after a Bangladesh garment-factory building collapsed, the search for the dead ended Monday at the site of the worst disaster in the history of the global garment industry. The death toll: 1,127.
The collapse of the Rana Plaza building focused worldwide attention on the hazardous conditions in Bangladesh's low-cost garment industry and strengthened pressure for reforms. On Monday, the government said it will begin allowing garment workers to form trade unions without permission from factory owners. Swedish retailing giant H&M also announced it has accepted a safety plan drawn up by labor groups that includes independent inspections of factories.

Mohammed Amir Hossain Mazumder, deputy director of fire service and civil defense, told The Associated Press the search for bodies from the April 24 collapse was called off at 6 p.m. "Now the site will be handed over to police for protection. There will be no more activities from the fire service or army," he said. Bulldozers and other vehicles have been removed from the building site, which will be fenced with bamboo sticks. Red flags were erected around the site to bar entry.

The last body was found on Sunday night. A special prayer service will be held Tuesday to honor the dead, said army Brig. Gen. Mohammad Siddiqul Alam Shikder. For more than 19 days, the collapsed Rana Plaza in the Dhaka suburb of Savar had been the scene of frantic rescue efforts, anguished families and the overwhelming smell of decaying flesh. Miracles were few, but on Friday, search teams found Reshma Begum, a seamstress who survived under the rubble for 17 days on cookies and bottled water.

Begum spoke to reporters Monday from the hospital where she is being treated. She told them she never expected to be rescued alive, and she vowed, "I will not work in a garment factory again." Working conditions in the $20 billion industry are grim, a result of government corruption, desperation for jobs, and industry indifference. Minimum wages for garment workers are among the lowest in the world at 3,000 takas ($38) a month. The Rana Plaza owner and eight other people, including garment factory owners, have been detained in the collapse investigation. Authorities say the building owner added floors to the structure illegally and allowed the factories to install heavy equipment that the building was not designed to support.

MORE

See also:

Bangladesh collapse survivor gives up garment work
May 13,`13 -- The 19-year-old seamstress who spent 17 days trapped in the rubble of a collapsed factory building said Monday that she will never again work in a Bangladesh garment factory.
Reshma Begum was pulled in remarkably good shape from the wreckage of the eight-story Rana Plaza building on Friday. Stunned rescue workers were drawn to the wide pocket under the rubble where she had taken refuge when they heard her banging on a pipe. Begum was brought in a wheelchair to speak with journalists just outside her room in the intensive care unit of a military hospital. She suffered a head injury in the collapse, and part of her head was covered Monday with a light violet shawl. Flanked by a nurse a psychiatrist and another doctor, she initially appeared dazed and fragile and spoke in a voice so low it was impossible to hear. Finally, in a low shaky voice, she recounted her ordeal.

She said she moved to the Dhaka area three years ago and began working. On April 2, she joined a garment factory on the second floor of Rana Plaza, where she earned 4,700 takas ($60) a month. On the morning of April 24, she heard there were cracks in the building and saw co-workers, mainly men, refusing to enter. The managers reassured them: "There is no problem. You do your work," she said. Soon after, the building crashed down around her. "When it happened I fell down and was injured in the head heavily. Then I found myself in darkness," she said. She tried to crawl to safety, but could not find a way out, she said.

She survived on four packets of cookies she had with her and some water, she said. "Another person, a man, was near me. He asked for water. I could not help him. He died. He screamed, `Save me,' but he died," she said. `'I can't remember everything that happened." "I never thought of coming back alive," she said. Brig. Gen. Ashfaq, a psychiatrist at the hospital who uses only one name, said Begum was puzzled and confused when she was rescued. "She got panicked when someone touched her," he said. `'Now she is doing fine, better. We have talked a lot with her."

Begum's survival has been a rare moment of joy amid the morbid task of removing bodies from the disaster site. On Monday, with a death toll of 1,127, the military announced it was ending its search for bodies from the building. The tragedy has created global pressure for reform in the Bangladeshi garment industry. But Begum said she will not be drawn back into such work. "I will not work in a garment factory again," she said.

Source

Bangladesh clothing factory collapse search ends...
:eusa_eh:
Bangladesh collapse search over; death toll 1,127
May 13,`13 -- Nearly three weeks after a Bangladesh garment-factory building collapsed, the search for the dead ended Monday at the site of the worst disaster in the history of the global garment industry. The death toll: 1,127.
The collapse of the Rana Plaza building focused worldwide attention on the hazardous conditions in Bangladesh's low-cost garment industry and strengthened pressure for reforms. On Monday, the government said it will begin allowing garment workers to form trade unions without permission from factory owners. Swedish retailing giant H&M also announced it has accepted a safety plan drawn up by labor groups that includes independent inspections of factories.

Mohammed Amir Hossain Mazumder, deputy director of fire service and civil defense, told The Associated Press the search for bodies from the April 24 collapse was called off at 6 p.m. "Now the site will be handed over to police for protection. There will be no more activities from the fire service or army," he said. Bulldozers and other vehicles have been removed from the building site, which will be fenced with bamboo sticks. Red flags were erected around the site to bar entry.

The last body was found on Sunday night. A special prayer service will be held Tuesday to honor the dead, said army Brig. Gen. Mohammad Siddiqul Alam Shikder. For more than 19 days, the collapsed Rana Plaza in the Dhaka suburb of Savar had been the scene of frantic rescue efforts, anguished families and the overwhelming smell of decaying flesh. Miracles were few, but on Friday, search teams found Reshma Begum, a seamstress who survived under the rubble for 17 days on cookies and bottled water.

Begum spoke to reporters Monday from the hospital where she is being treated. She told them she never expected to be rescued alive, and she vowed, "I will not work in a garment factory again." Working conditions in the $20 billion industry are grim, a result of government corruption, desperation for jobs, and industry indifference. Minimum wages for garment workers are among the lowest in the world at 3,000 takas ($38) a month. The Rana Plaza owner and eight other people, including garment factory owners, have been detained in the collapse investigation. Authorities say the building owner added floors to the structure illegally and allowed the factories to install heavy equipment that the building was not designed to support.

MORE

See also:

Bangladesh collapse survivor gives up garment work
May 13,`13 -- The 19-year-old seamstress who spent 17 days trapped in the rubble of a collapsed factory building said Monday that she will never again work in a Bangladesh garment factory.
Reshma Begum was pulled in remarkably good shape from the wreckage of the eight-story Rana Plaza building on Friday. Stunned rescue workers were drawn to the wide pocket under the rubble where she had taken refuge when they heard her banging on a pipe. Begum was brought in a wheelchair to speak with journalists just outside her room in the intensive care unit of a military hospital. She suffered a head injury in the collapse, and part of her head was covered Monday with a light violet shawl. Flanked by a nurse a psychiatrist and another doctor, she initially appeared dazed and fragile and spoke in a voice so low it was impossible to hear. Finally, in a low shaky voice, she recounted her ordeal.

She said she moved to the Dhaka area three years ago and began working. On April 2, she joined a garment factory on the second floor of Rana Plaza, where she earned 4,700 takas ($60) a month. On the morning of April 24, she heard there were cracks in the building and saw co-workers, mainly men, refusing to enter. The managers reassured them: "There is no problem. You do your work," she said. Soon after, the building crashed down around her. "When it happened I fell down and was injured in the head heavily. Then I found myself in darkness," she said. She tried to crawl to safety, but could not find a way out, she said.

She survived on four packets of cookies she had with her and some water, she said. "Another person, a man, was near me. He asked for water. I could not help him. He died. He screamed, `Save me,' but he died," she said. `'I can't remember everything that happened." "I never thought of coming back alive," she said. Brig. Gen. Ashfaq, a psychiatrist at the hospital who uses only one name, said Begum was puzzled and confused when she was rescued. "She got panicked when someone touched her," he said. `'Now she is doing fine, better. We have talked a lot with her."

Begum's survival has been a rare moment of joy amid the morbid task of removing bodies from the disaster site. On Monday, with a death toll of 1,127, the military announced it was ending its search for bodies from the building. The tragedy has created global pressure for reform in the Bangladeshi garment industry. But Begum said she will not be drawn back into such work. "I will not work in a garment factory again," she said.

Source
Sounds like Begum would make one hell of a labor organizer...on her way to a pauper's grave:

"ASHULIA, Bangladesh — His tiny office was lost among the hulking garment factories that churn out cargo pants or polo shirts for brands like Gap or Tommy Hilfiger, yet workers managed to find Aminul Islam. They came with problems. Unpaid wages. Abusive bosses. Mr. Islam, a labor organizer, fought for their rights.

"Mr. Islam was an organizer in Ashulia.

"Babul Akhter, head of a labor group, who said that a government agent warned him 'to refrain from' discussing labor rights with workers or 'strong action' would be taken against them.

"Security forces found Mr. Islam, too. His phone was tapped, the police regularly harassed him, and domestic intelligence agents once abducted and beat him, his co-workers and family say. More than once, he was told his advocacy for workers was hurting a country where garment exports drive the domestic economy.

And then no one could find Mr. Islam.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/10/world/asia/killing-of-bangladesh-labor-leader-spotlights-grievances-of-workers.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Capitalists... stuck on murder for money and market share?

Don't buy anything made in Bangladesh. Make sure those people starve. Maybe they can do what the poor in Mumbai do and live off the garbage of others.

Don't buy anything made in Bangladesh. Make sure those people starve. Maybe they can do what the poor in Mumbai do and live off the garbage of others.
Or we could enact Fair Trade Laws that would prohibit capital from murdering labor for market share. Are you really as stupid as your posts?

too stupid as usual! work place accidents go way down as capitalism drives up wealth so people can afford more and more safety measures. Imposing our high standards on poor countries would simple mean that their workers would starve to death.

A liberal will simply lack the IQ to understand.

Or we could enact Fair Trade Laws that would prohibit capital from murdering labor for market share. Are you really as stupid as your posts?

too stupid as usual! work place accidents go way down as capitalism drives up wealth so people can afford more and more safety measures. Imposing our high standards on poor countries would simple mean that their workers would starve to death.

How many US workers die in job related injuries every year compared to terror attacks?
Hint: West, Texas v Boston Marathon.

How many US workers die in job related injuries every year compared to terror attacks?
Hint: West, Texas v Boston Marathon.

can you say what your point is or do you lack the IQ to do so as a liberal??

Forum List

Back