Lucy Thomas vs Jackie Evancho

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
I will post videos of the same song by both singers. Lucy Thomas sings solo. Jackie Evancho sings the song with a male singer Peter Hollens who is excellent.

Who do you like the best of the two women? Lucy is 19 and now Jackie is 23. Jackie was on America's got talent. Jackie sang at the Trump inauguration.

Jackie:

Can you evaluate them for the singing? I have long favored Jackie Evancho. Today I found out about Lucy Thomas.

I am at the moment on the fence about who to favor as a singer.

Neither is nearly as good as the original. In fact, I have yet to hear a version as good as Leonard Cohen's.

Neither is nearly as good as the original. In fact, I have yet to hear a version as good as Leonard Cohen's.
Leonard of course is not a woman singer. Anyway, hopefully a post will evaluate the two women and not some other singer. I am sure the world is loaded with gifted singers.

This husband/wife duo is great...

Well, how does that translate to evaluating the two singers in the OP?
Your pair have good voices. They also have accents that make it hard to understand some of the words they both sing.

Jackie. This video still blows me away when she was still a kid.

Thank you Marathon M. Jackie to my ears, seems to be a bit different than when she was 12 years old. But that child had a voice of the angels. I have to listen to more of her more recent songs and compare them to the genius she was on America's got talent. Years ago when she was live on AGT, a woman used to tell me she should not sing at such a young age that her voice would not improve, that it would get worse. I did not understand such a claim then.

Thank you Marathon M. Jackie to my ears, seems to be a bit different than when she was 12 years old. But that child had a voice of the angels. I have to listen to more of her more recent songs and compare them to the genius she was on America's got talent. Years ago when she was live on AGT, a woman used to tell me she should not sing at such a young age that her voice would not improve, that it would get worse. I did not understand such a claim then.
That is true. I have had voice training and my teacher said the same thing. She will probably need surgery to remove nodules from her vocal chords like Adele and others before her. So sad, it's somewhat exploitive to put a young girl through that I think.

That is true. I have had voice training and my teacher said the same thing. She will probably need surgery to remove nodules from her vocal chords like Adele and others before her. So sad, it's somewhat exploitive to put a young girl through that I think.
Honestly i did not know that. I felt she was simply anti Jackie Evancho. Wow, I wonder if Jackie already had this surgery? Can you tell by her current singing? What i recall from her as a child was she had a very special timber to her voice. It seems less today from the song I presented here.

Honestly i did not know that. I felt she was simply anti Jackie Evancho. Wow, I wonder if Jackie already had this surgery? Can you tell by her current singing? What i recall from her as a child was she had a very special timber to her voice. It seems less today from the song I presented here.
It's hard to say if Jackie's voice difference is from early damage or just normal maturation. I don't see anything about her having the nodule surgery, but Adele had her first surgery about the age that Jackie is now.

Jackie has a much better tone and feeling. I didn't hear her sing until my cousin got me her Awakening CD. she was 14 when she made that one, and I went and bought her earlier CD's. It is still my favorite, with her earlier one, at age 11 or so, Songs of the Silver Screen where she did the show biz tunes, is second , and I don't even like show tunes, but her cover of Se alone made the CD worth buying. Je Taime is another big favorite of mine off of Awakening. The latter one is hard to top; I have her later CD's, and am not sorry I bought any of them. I have all but the latest one.

All of her later CD's show improvement from when she was on AGT. She's long past the novelty act stage. As we all know, or should, rock and pop have a lot less to do with musical talent than novelty and dancing around.

Last edited:

Her parents and brother looked out for her pretty closely fro a young age; she's had no vocal cord surgery and has never over worked her voice. She does have osteoporosis, though. Peaking that early does bring with it perception problems, since it's pretty hard to improve from near perfect. It becomes a matter of song choices and marketing after that. She's already covered a lot of the tough ones in opera, so nobody is going to buy those over and over and over again.

Jackie has a much better tone and feeling. I didn't hear her sing until my cousin got me her Awakening CD. she was 14 when she made that one, and I went and bought her earlier CD's. It is still my favorite, with her earlier one, at age 11 or so, Songs of the Silver Screen where she did the show biz tunes, is second , and I don't even like show tunes, but her cover of Se alone made the CD worth buying. Je Taime is another big favorite of mine off of Awakening. The latter one is hard to top; I have her later CD's, and am not sorry I bought any of them. I have all but the latest one.
She should top the song lists by this time. Jackie is a treasure.

When a person conditions a comment using the word probably, I know they are not positive.

Forum List

Back