Looks like Trump's lawyers are out to get him too

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

New York Judge Arthur Ergoron on Monday said that he is holding a bench trial in New York Attorney General Letitia James fraud lawsuit against former President Donald Trump because "nobody asked for" a jury trial on either side, The Messenger's Adam Klasfeld reported. "Trump isn't getting a jury trial in his $250m civil fraud suit brought against him by New York AG James because his legal team didn't request one on the paperwork," explained The Guardian's Hugo Lowell.

Legal experts were stunned by the revelation, characterizing it as a blunder by the former president's lawyers. "So Alina Habba didn't demand a jury trial?!" wrote MSNBC legal analyst Katie Phang. "I wonder how Trump feels about this screw-up by his legal team." Former U.S. Attorney Harry Litman called the decision "mind-blowing."

Instead, his lawyer will depend on the judgement of a judge who has TDS.

This, of course, is not true.
I'm convinced that there is only one good kind of lawyer, and that is one that has never been born.

I say this from personal experience, and from what I see others go through.

New York Judge Arthur Ergoron on Monday said that he is holding a bench trial in New York Attorney General Letitia James fraud lawsuit against former President Donald Trump because "nobody asked for" a jury trial on either side, The Messenger's Adam Klasfeld reported. "Trump isn't getting a jury trial in his $250m civil fraud suit brought against him by New York AG James because his legal team didn't request one on the paperwork," explained The Guardian's Hugo Lowell.

Legal experts were stunned by the revelation, characterizing it as a blunder by the former president's lawyers. "So Alina Habba didn't demand a jury trial?!" wrote MSNBC legal analyst Katie Phang. "I wonder how Trump feels about this screw-up by his legal team." Former U.S. Attorney Harry Litman called the decision "mind-blowing."

you are aware, I am sure, that this "accusation" by the left leaning media is not at all true.

If not, learn the law before commenting on it.

You really think an impartial jury in NYC could have been empaneled?

At least with a bench trial the appeals courts can go strictly on the merits of the case and the law in question, and not worrying about overturning a jury ruling, which in general appeals courts set a higher bar to overturn.

At least with a bench trial the appeals courts can go strictly on the merits of the case and the law in question, and not worrying about overturning a jury ruling, which in general appeals courts set a higher bar to overturn.
He is probaly screwed either way

To think you can get a fair trial in either New York or DC is laughable.

They are the epicenter of corruption in the US.

you are aware, I am sure, that this "accusation" by the left leaning media is not at all true.

If not, learn the law before commenting on it.
Trump has a history of being screwed over by lawyers.

Or had you not noticed?

Just expecting more of the same because the more things change, the more they stay the same.

He is probaly screwed either way

To think you can get a fair trial in either New York or DC is laughable.

They are the epicenter of corruption in the US.

At the trial level he is screwed. Again, by having a judge write the verdict you now have much more direct rulings to appeal.

Also it puts the judge in the spotlight as there is no jury to pass blame on for various rulings during the trial.

The case was brought under a little known but powerful New York state law, that requires a bench trial with a Judge and not a jury trial.

All the USMB lawyers crowing about President Trump's lawyers missing a deadline - well, dumb as a stump as always.

The case was brought under a little known but powerful New York state law, that requires a bench trial with a Judge and not a jury trial.

All the USMB lawyers crowing about President Trump's lawyers missing a deadline - well, dumb as a stump as always.

Good point, But Even if a jury trial was an option it would have been foolish to take it.

I don't understand why anyone would laugh at this fact.
Is it just overwhelming ignorance?

This, of course, is not true.
Yes, extremely unlikely. Trump's defense would have been heavily tax and corporate law based. A jury would more likely have seen the disparities and ruled some liability based on equity grounds alone.

Further, if it was an error, it could have easily been corrected before trial.

Forum List

Back