Local Pennsylvania bridal shop harassed and threatened by LGBT activist after turning away same sex

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MindWars, Mar 6, 2018.

1. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,453
    Sure, they're doing something that isn't very ethical.

But then again the bridal shop is also doing something that is unethical.

Some believe in fighting fire with fire, don't they?

You turn around and not only threaten, but actually act on those threats, of kicking people out of your shop, what do you expect to happen back?

2. RoshawnMarkwees

RoshawnMarkwees Assimilationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,003
    It was very clear. It demonstrated the lack of logic in your argument.

3. Ghost of a Rider

Ghost of a Rider Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +521
    There's nothing in this article to suggest that the gay couple was threatened or even that the shop owner was rude. All it says is that the shop refused them service based on their religious convictions which is entirely within their rights. If a gay couple believes they have the right to marriage then it's only fair to allow others to either disagree or choose not to commit actions that would support it.

Discrimination laws in this country provide for disciplinary action when discrimination is committed against employees or potential employees or contractors or things of that nature. It does not, and should not, mean that shop owners and retailers shouldn't have the right to refuse service to a customer for whatever reason.

I don't like it any more than you (I am an advocate for gay rights and gay marital rights) but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Even if, hypothetically, the shop owner was rude or threatening, how does it help the LGBT community to be threatening in return? Gays regard the Christian beliefs about homosexuality to be a form of hate and abolishing the hate has been the main focus. But how does "You f***ing bigots. We're coming for you and your family" abolish hate?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. frigidweirdo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,453
    Well, I'm telling you it wasn't very clear.

You wanted to communicate, you failed in that. I've given you the opportunity to correct that, you go into pendant mode.

Dude, I don't care what your point is now.

5. frigidweirdo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,453
    You don't find it offensive that people with their "religious beliefs" refuse someone serve, I do.

Look, the Bible says kill adulterers.

Exodus 20:14 "You shall not commit adultery."

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

This is their "religious belief", or should be, right? Do they refuse service to adulterers? No, they almost certainly do not.

It's hypocritical, it's picking and choosing parts of the Bible that they want to choose, it's basically using the Bible as an excuse to hide their prejudices.

So, it's offensive, regardless of whether you think so or not.

6. Ghost of a Rider

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +521
    Do I find it offensive? Not really. But then, I'm not easily offended because I know who I am and I am secure in my place in the world and their ignorance doesn't change that. In short, being offended is a choice.

Of course it is hypocritical. Hey, I'm with you when it comes to the hypocrisy and bigotry of some Christians. But people need to understand that while discrimination is illegal, bigotry is not. They have every right to hate whoever they want and to refuse their business to whoever they want.

Having said that, hate begets hate. Can you honestly deny that some of these voicemails came from a place of hate? Someone has to choose to stop the cycle of hate and telling someone "We're coming for you and your family" is not it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. badger2

badger2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +444
    We're thankful, at least, that militant homos are annoying the pathology of christian mafia values, especially post-genocide of the Indigenes whose crops were burned, precursor of the modern term, "flaming."

Will some nutcase throw a molotov on the day that Russian Roulette comes out in bookstores? What will the insurance mafia do?

8. frigidweirdo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,453
    Maybe being offended is a choice. Maybe some people see that offence is a way of forcing society to be a little better than neanderthal culture.

So, discrimination is illegal and bigotry is not, and they managed to do both......

9. Ghost of a Rider

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +521
    Not being offended will disarm haters much better than more hate and besides, simply being offended these days doesn't mean shit anyway. Everybody is offended by everything to the point that people are tiptoeing around each other. The word "racist" gets thrown around so much these days that it has lost all meaning. I always considered myself to be non-racist but imagine my surprise when I found out my white skin made me racist. Go figure.

I could go on and on but the bottom line is that more hate won't stop the hate and being offended won't stop the hate. Being triggered by someone's bigotry says as much about you as it does them.

You might say they discriminated but think about this: If it had been, say, a regular clothing store and the two came in just to buy dresses or whatever, I doubt they would have been turned away. The bridal shop turned them away not so much because the couple was gay but because they felt that to do business with them and sell them bridal gowns would have seemed that, in the eyes of God, they approved of the gay marriage and were complicit in the couple's sin.

Maybe that's a minor distinction, I don't know. But what concerned me the most about this story was the naked hatred coming from the callers. In my opinion, because of these disgusting threats, I see them as no better than the shop owner.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. frigidweirdo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,453
    What is society?

In the beginning society was a small group of people who worked together as a unit to be stronger than as the individual.
    If you broke the rules of the society, you'd be kicked out of that society, or you'd serve some sort of punishment.

Basically if you thought you were better as an individual, you could go and prove, or not, that this was the case.

If you preferred having the protection of society and the benefits of society, then you followed and obeyed the rules of that society.

Now you're saying it's the other way around. That the individual is the most important in society and that individuals should be able to rub other individuals up the wrong way, and not suffer any consequences of those actions.

I disagree that this is the case.

Yes, individuals have more freedom now than they've ever had. Both due to economic factors but also because society is more willing to accept that than ever before.

However this doesn't mean that society should totally break down and that people shouldn't be offended by things, as they have done for the whole of humanity.

Being offended by things tells others what is acceptable as part of society, and what isn't.

You don't like that, go find your own piece of land and keep away from others.

I understand what these people's EXCUSE is. I just don't buy it. It's people using religion as an excuse for their bigotry and they think they can get away with it because there are a large number of Christians in the country with the same disgustingly bigoted views.

However it's a society that IS NOT a Christian society. This has been firmly written into the Constitution.

So, these people should not get their way because that is not what the country is about.

• Winner Winner x 1