Listen to your young republicans

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Young Republicans feeling left out - Washington Post - MSNBC.com

The future of the Republican Party looks dim. A who's who of young conservatives had gathered, but they were few, and they were frustrated.

For most of them, Ronald Reagan and the good times he personified for conservatives were not even vague memories.

One young conservative said, referring to the GOP candidates talking about Reagan: They sounded like old fogies mentioning him at least a dozen times.

The Republicans are sort of talking down to Gen-Nexters, not bringing them in.

You don't hear Barack Obama going around saying, 'I'm John F. Kennedy.' He's saying, 'I'm Barack Obama.

There's a reason for that. He's inspiring an entire generation, and it's a generation that's trying to change the world in 160 characters or less through text messages.

Voters under 30 are more than twice as likely to identify themselves as Democrats, according to the most recent Washington Post-ABC News poll.

"I think the Republican Party is staring down a very long, dark, quiet night," All says.

Republicans haven't always been so disconnected. A quarter-century ago, Reagan charmed young voters and won 59 percent of their vote in 1984. In 1992, on the heels of the Reagan Revolution, voters under 30 split their allegiance about evenly between the two major parties. But every presidential cycle since then, Democrats have gained ground. This year, according to the Post-ABC poll, 44 percent of those under 30 call themselves Democrats, and only 18 percent identify as Republicans.

do we have historical records for how the under 30's have voted? im wondering if it is a clear trend or a recent development with obamamania.

i wish my generation were smart enough to start supporting a moderate 3rd party instead of the dems.

The Reagan generation is middle aged now.

The youth of America are looking longer term and realizing that there isn't much room in that revolution for them, I think.

You see, they saw their parents going slowly broke and they're not amused.

The Reagan generation is middle aged now.

The youth of America are looking longer term and realizing that there isn't much room in that revolution for them, I think.

You see, they saw their parents going slowly broke and they're not amused.

i see how much the country is in debt because of the dimwits my parents generation voted for. and now I have to pay for it. i imagine that makes a lot of people my age upset.

wasteful consumption, unsustainable suburbal sprawl, lazy lifestyles, decline of the traditional family, reckless spending and lack of saving, decline of mass transit, huge dependence on foreign oil, near destruction of the fishing industry, allowing jobs and manufacturing to be exported overseas, decline of the education system, revolving door prison systems, it goes on and on. thanks a lot you freaking babyboomers and kids. my generation is so glad to be left with your mess :mad:

This year, according to the Post-ABC poll, 44 percent of those under 30 call themselves Democrats, and only 18 percent identify as Republicans.

And this is what scares the Republicans so much, the youth of our nation vote, and want change, and will elect Obama for President.

Busara said:

"I wish my generation were smart enough to start supporting a moderate 3rd party instead of the dems. "

I think a LOT of Americans, young and old agree with that. But the problem is HOW do we do this? What fire can we light under peoples asses to get them to change their way of thinking, voting, to get them to really MAKE A CHANGE in our political parties?

i see how much the country is in debt because of the dimwits my parents generation voted for. and now I have to pay for it. i imagine that makes a lot of people my age upset.

wasteful consumption, unsustainable suburbal sprawl, lazy lifestyles, decline of the traditional family, reckless spending and lack of saving, decline of mass transit, huge dependence on foreign oil, near destruction of the fishing industry, allowing jobs and manufacturing to be exported overseas, decline of the education system, revolving door prison systems, it goes on and on. thanks a lot you freaking babyboomers and kids. my generation is so glad to be left with your mess :mad:

:clap2:

That's why I now say never trust anyone under 30, either, kid.

Youth can clearly see the crime but they haven't a clue who should do the time.

Here's a hint, though...it probably wasn't your parents running your nation into the ground.

They were more likely ground into it.

But I cannot wait to see how you folks fix it, I really can't.

I have faith in you.

Being a young republican just shows one's ignorance of politics. Republicans have done nearly nothing for our youth, except send us to wars over oil and tell us it's about our safety. Obama will win this year, get us out of Iraq by 2010, and be re-elected in 2012, as long as he doesn't get any BJ's in the oval office.

And this is what scares the Republicans so much, the youth of our nation vote, and want change, and will elect Obama for President.

Busara said:

"I wish my generation were smart enough to start supporting a moderate 3rd party instead of the dems. "

I think a LOT of Americans, young and old agree with that. But the problem is HOW do we do this? What fire can we light under peoples asses to get them to change their way of thinking, voting, to get them to really MAKE A CHANGE in our political parties?

What? Do you see the number of young kids showing up supporting Obama? They, and I, have found our candidate.

:clap2:
Being a young republican just shows one's ignorance of politics. Republicans have done nearly nothing for our youth, except send us to wars over oil and tell us it's about our safety. Obama will win this year, get us out of Iraq by 2010, and be re-elected in 2012, as long as he doesn't get any BJ's in the oval office.

And I think/hope/believe that he, Pelosi and Reed are going to shut these Republicans up once and for all.

Your gay republican thing reminded me, we can't let McCain appoint the next Supreme Court Justices.

We also need to get the GOP out of the White House because Bush politicized every branch of government, the militiary, every politicial appointee is a loyal bushy political hack. I would worry that McCain would keep a lot of those people in place. Because he is old and lazy.

Oh, and be warned, when Obama does win, all those Bush appointees plan on running for politics. And they will have impressive resume's. They won't say they spent 8 years fucking up the country. They'll probably omit that part. LOL.

What? Do you see the number of young kids showing up supporting Obama? They, and I, have found our candidate.

Me too, and I'm glad to see the youth of America getting involved.

But you have to admit there are things wrong with BOTH the repub and dem parties, and an independent party that wants what's best for the AMERICAN PEOPLE, would be great. And our youth are the ones to make that change.

Me too, and I'm glad to see the youth of America getting involved.

But you have to admit there are things wrong with BOTH the repub and dem parties, and an independent party that wants what's best for the AMERICAN PEOPLE, would be great. And our youth are the ones to make that change.

I highly doubt it. I make no assumptions that a 3rd party would want anything more than a piece of the pie just like the reps and dems.

I highly doubt it. I make no assumptions that a 3rd party would want anything more than a piece of the pie just like the reps and dems.

They're start out sweeping clean like new brooms but eventually they'll end up sweeping it under the carpet, too.

Power corrupts, folks.

I agree, but that will not stop me from Voting 3rd party this election.

Like Randi Rhodes says, us liberals don't really care if you voted for us or not, we are going to make things right for all Americans. So all you middle class Americans that think the Democrats can't fix what the GOP did, relax, we will stop your jobs from going overseas, we will fix your roads and bridges too. We will save your social security too, whether you want it or not. We will make health care more affordable for you too. We will stop the oil companies from gouging you too. We'll get the value of your dollar back to where it should be too, not just ours. We'll get liberal and conservative consumer confidence up again. Not just the top 1% who are buying mansions and yachts while the masses suffer.

You guys voted for the GOP and they shit on all of us. Not just us, you too.

Bob Barr is a wolf in sheeps clothing. He's like Liebermann, only opposite.

Last edited:
Like Randi Rhodes says, us liberals don't really care if you voted for us or not, we are going to make things right for all Americans.

Would you please stop making assumptions and generalizations, I am far from middle class :)

Oh and you are going to vote for the Dems and they are going to Shit all over us too. Nothing will change but the faces.

Would you please stop making assumptions and generalizations, I am far from middle class :)

Oh and you are going to vote for the Dems and they are going to Shit all over us too. Nothing will change but the faces.

That explains a lot. What, are you upper class or upper middle class?

So really, you and the rest of us really don't have a lot in common.

You seem to belong to the "I got mine" party.

That explains a lot. What, are you upper class or upper middle class?

So really, you and the rest of us really don't have a lot in common.

You seem to belong to the "I got mine" party.

wrong again, I support a family of 4 on a single income which last year was only 38k. On a good year I might clear 45k.

What class would that put me in?

sorry that I am able to see beyond my own situation and not make all my decisions based on it.

yea, you loby for the rich. I also think you have liebermann syndrm.

What's HR1955? look it up. and what pisses me off is 95 percent of congress went along, that includes dems.

and yes I vote for me, and I am part of the masses. I also vote for ppl like you. so I don't think conservatives care about anyone but the rich and they didn't make it so hard work got rewarded.

if you are rich, welcome. but good luck if you aren't .

even kids get it.

just can't unbrainwash old dogs set in their ways.

at least you aren't gop anymore. that's something, sort of.

barr at least a constitutionalist.

Forum List

Back