LinkedIn

Nobody? You oughta check it out... it is pretty cool for managing your business contacts online and it is a neat way to "network".

Johnney said:
never heard of it to tell the truth
I joined a few months ago (it is free) and have been building my "on line network" since. I sent invites to people I know and they decide to join or not. What I like about is that if you do a search for say jobs, research on a company, anything, you have to go through a "contact". So if somebody is three degrees from me, it tells me who in my network I can reach that person through. I send them a request, they forward and then that person may or may not have to forward it and then it gets to the person I want to contact. They then decide if they want to complete the contact or not. I have actually re-connected with old business associated that I had lost track of this way. It is really kinda cool.

Uncle Ferd says, "Whadaya mean creepy?...

Women posting 'uglier' photos on LinkedIn to stop 'creepy'
Sep 12, 2015, Women are changing their photos on professional networking site LinkedIn in a bid to stop unwarranted attention from "creepy" men
Following a heated debate ignited this week by 27-year-old family law barrister Charlotte Proudman, women have taken to Twitter to share their experiences of being approached by men on LinkedIn about their looks. Staunch feminist and Cambridge University PhD student Ms Proudman sparked a media storm after she tweeted a private message she had received on the site from Alexander Carter-Silk, a lawyer at London solicitors firm Brown Rudnick, who she had contacted to 'connect' with. "I appreciate that this is probably horrendously politically incorrect but that is a stunning picture," he wrote.

To which Ms Proudman responded: "I am on LinkedIn for businesses purposes not to be approached about my physical appearance or to be objectified by sexist men. "The eroticisation of women's physical appearance is a way of exercising power over women. It silences women's professional attributes as their physical appearance becomes the subject. "Unacceptable and misogynistic behaviour. Think twice before sending another woman (half your age) such a sexist message." But it seems Ms Proudman is not the only one who has been contacted on the site with remarks about how she looks, rather than her professional experience. After publishing the message, the barrister was approached by law graduate Mandeer Kataria who said she had been forced to change her LinkedIn profile picture, from one in which she was wearing a dress to a turtleneck top, to stop receiving unwanted attention.

Ms Kataria tweeted: "I changed my LinkedIn profile photo to an uglier one so I'd get fewer creepy men adding/messaging me." She later added: "The irony of me saying I changed my LinkedIn pic to get fewer views is that I'm now getting more views than I've ever had." Ms Kataria, who is doing a Masters in International Law, told Sky News: "I was just getting loads of random men who were trying to connect - we weren't even in the same business line. They were not interested in my professional credentials. "I took my picture down and replaced it with one that I considered was less attractive - and the messages stopped. "But after hearing about Charlotte's case, I feel I shouldn't have had to do that."

Writing in The Independent, Ms Proudman said she did not regret publicizing the message, despite being branded a "Feminazi" by Daily Mail columnist Sarah Vine. She said: "If people don't experience the repercussions for their actions, which are plainly wrong, then their behaviour will not change, and neither will sexist culture. "All too often, women are afraid to speak up about these small but significant comments on their appearance which happen every single day."

Women posting 'uglier' photos on LinkedIn to stop 'creepy' messages - The Times of India

Millions of LinkedIn IDs 'for sale'...
icon_omg.gif

Millions of hacked LinkedIn IDs advertised 'for sale'
Wed, 18 May 2016 - LinkedIn plans to reset many of its users' passwords after logins for about 117 million of its accounts were advertised for sale.
A hacker is advertising what he says is more than one hundred million LinkedIn logins for sale. The IDs were reportedly sourced from a breach four years ago, which had previously been thought to have included a fraction of that number. At the time, the business-focused social network said it had reset the accounts of those it thought had been compromised. LinkedIn now plans to repeat the measure on a much larger scale. One expert said the service should have reset all its accounts the first time round. LinkedIn is often used to send work-related messages and to find career opportunities - activities its members would want to stay private.

Criminals could make use of this information or see if its subscribers had used the same passwords elsewhere. "We are taking immediate steps to invalidate the passwords of the accounts impacted, and we will contact those members to reset their passwords," a spokeswoman for the California-based firm told the BBC. "We have no indication that this is a result of a new security breach. "We encourage our members to visit our safety centre to ensure they have two-step verification authentication and to use strong passwords in order to keep their accounts as safe as possible."

Login leak

Details of the sale were first reported by the news site Motherboard. It said the details were being advertised on at least two hacking-related sites. A total of 117 million passwords are said to be included. The passcodes are encoded, but in a form that appears to have be relatively easy to reverse-engineer. LinkedIn had about 165 million accounts at the time of the breach, but the discrepancy in the figures might be explained by the fact that some of its users logged in via Facebook.

Invalidated IDs

After the breach first occurred, a file containing 6.5 million encrypted passwords was posted to an online forum in Russia. LinkedIn reacted by saying it had invalidated all the accounts it believed had been compromised and emailed affected members saying they needed to register new passwords. But Motherboard has tracked down one user, whose details are in the batch currently on sale, and found that the password listed for him was still active.

MORE

icon_omg.gif

Wed, 18 May 2016 - LinkedIn plans to reset many of its users' passwords after logins for about 117 million of its accounts were advertised for sale.
A hacker is advertising what he says is more than one hundred million LinkedIn logins for sale. The IDs were reportedly sourced from a breach four years ago, which had previously been thought to have included a fraction of that number. At the time, the business-focused social network said it had reset the accounts of those it thought had been compromised. LinkedIn now plans to repeat the measure on a much larger scale. One expert said the service should have reset all its accounts the first time round. LinkedIn is often used to send work-related messages and to find career opportunities - activities its members would want to stay private.

Criminals could make use of this information or see if its subscribers had used the same passwords elsewhere. "We are taking immediate steps to invalidate the passwords of the accounts impacted, and we will contact those members to reset their passwords," a spokeswoman for the California-based firm told the BBC. "We have no indication that this is a result of a new security breach. "We encourage our members to visit our safety centre to ensure they have two-step verification authentication and to use strong passwords in order to keep their accounts as safe as possible."

Login leak

Details of the sale were first reported by the news site Motherboard. It said the details were being advertised on at least two hacking-related sites. A total of 117 million passwords are said to be included. The passcodes are encoded, but in a form that appears to have be relatively easy to reverse-engineer. LinkedIn had about 165 million accounts at the time of the breach, but the discrepancy in the figures might be explained by the fact that some of its users logged in via Facebook.

Invalidated IDs

After the breach first occurred, a file containing 6.5 million encrypted passwords was posted to an online forum in Russia. LinkedIn reacted by saying it had invalidated all the accounts it believed had been compromised and emailed affected members saying they needed to register new passwords. But Motherboard has tracked down one user, whose details are in the batch currently on sale, and found that the password listed for him was still active.

MORE
Yep Linked in is sketchy and fraudulent.

icon_omg.gif

Login leak

Invalidated IDs

MORE
Yep Linked in is sketchy and fraudulent.

What made you say that? Do you think FaceBook is less sketchy?

For the most part, it has been my experience that people use it trying to find out who is doing business with who.
It can be very advantageous to find out who your competitor is talking to at what company.
Indeed, rarely a week goes by I don't get an invite from a salesperson I never heard of.

Some people do use it for "spying" purposes so I think it is important to be careful on adding someone to your network.

Forum List

Back