Lifestyle: Black Tie

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

My wife and I have recently been invited to two weddings, where the invitation stipulates, "Black Tie." One of them is out of town and would require a hotel stay of at least one night in...wait for it...Washington Fucking DeeCee.

Since I've never seen this before - at least among my circle of friends and relatives - I'm wondering if this is now a "thing."

When attending such things, I always make it a point to launder my bib overalls...just kidding. I wear a suit (not a sportscoat) and tie, in which I look dashing as hell. Black Tie? A TUX????????

To be vulgar for a moment, both of these invitations come from relatives who would normally warrant a gift of approximately $250.

If I wanted to comply with the invitation's request, I'd be looking at spending at least $150, and going to some considerable trouble to clothe myself appropriately, and for the DC fiesta, the weekend would cost me close to a grand, all things considered.

Option A: Send both of the regrets and a check.

Option B: Go, wearing my customary funeral/wedding suit and fuck them if they don't like it.

Option C: Do my social duty and not whine about the cost.

And a related question is, if they are stipulating Black Tie, does that mean that my niggardly $250 would be insufficient or insulting to the Happy Couple?

After all, I'm a retired guy on a fixed income.

My wife and I have recently been invited to two weddings, where the invitation stipulates, "Black Tie." One of them is out of town and would require a hotel stay of at least one night in...wait for it...Washington Fucking DeeCee.

Since I've never seen this before - at least among my circle of friends and relatives - I'm wondering if this is now a "thing."

When attending such things, I always make it a point to launder my bib overalls...just kidding. I wear a suit (not a sportscoat) and tie, in which I look dashing as hell. Black Tie? A TUX????????

To be vulgar for a moment, both of these invitations come from relatives who would normally warrant a gift of approximately $250.

If I wanted to comply with the invitation's request, I'd be looking at spending at least $150, and going to some considerable trouble to clothe myself appropriately, and for the DC fiesta, the weekend would cost me close to a grand, all things considered.

Option B: Go, wearing my customary funeral/wedding suit and fuck them if they don't like it.

And a related question is, if they are stipulating Black Tie, does that mean that my niggardly $250 would be insufficient or insulting to the Happy Couple?

^^^^^

Comply with the dress code, attend and have a blast. You won't regret it.

Just don’t go. Stats say it’ll prolly end up in divorce anyway.

I would suggest either Option A or C depending on how close you are with the couple.

As to whether this is a new trend… it is much more common these days for couples to indicate the level of dress expected of guests. Not necessarily Black Tie, but whatever level the couple expects. My wife and I noted that our wedding was Formal attire, to ensure certain family members were appropriately attired . Several declined the invitation. We missed them, but not the shorts, tshirts and sandals they tend to wear wherever they go.

Forum List

Back