Liberals Defend Charlie Hebdo but Wouldn't Allow it on Campus in America

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
That's the argument David Brooks makes

The journalists at Charlie Hebdo are now rightly being celebrated as martyrs on behalf of freedom of expression, but let’s face it: If they had tried to publish their satirical newspaper on any American university campus over the last two decades it wouldn’t have lasted 30 seconds. Student and faculty groups would have accused them of hate speech. The administration would have cut financing and shut them down.

Public reaction to the attack in Paris has revealed that there are a lot of people who are quick to lionize those who offend the views of Islamist terrorists in France but who are a lot less tolerant toward those who offend their own views at home.

Just look at all the people who have overreacted to campus micro-aggressions. The University of Illinois fired a professor who taught the Roman Catholic view on homosexuality. The University of Kansas suspended a professor for writing a harsh tweet against the N.R.A. Vanderbilt University derecognized a Christian group that insisted that it be led by Christians.

Americans may laud Charlie Hebdo for being brave enough to publish cartoons ridiculing the Prophet Muhammad, but, if Ayaan Hirsi Ali is invited to campus, there are often calls to deny her a podium.

So this might be a teachable moment. As we are mortified by the slaughter of those writers and editors in Paris, it’s a good time to come up with a less hypocritical approach to our own controversial figures, provocateurs and satirists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/o...html?rref=collection/column/david-brooks&_r=0

Interesting.

Wasn't it conservatives who insisted that any funding be cut that was going to organizations associated with Serrano's Piss Christ and the works of Robert Mapplethorpe?

Last edited:
My Hungarian-American immigrant boss made this quip: Why didn't (the staff of Charlie Hebdo) people just put their hand up, and say DON'T SHOOT! Where are all those Ferguson protesters about now...

That's the argument David Brooks makes

The journalists at Charlie Hebdo are now rightly being celebrated as martyrs on behalf of freedom of expression, but let’s face it: If they had tried to publish their satirical newspaper on any American university campus over the last two decades it wouldn’t have lasted 30 seconds. Student and faculty groups would have accused them of hate speech. The administration would have cut financing and shut them down.

Public reaction to the attack in Paris has revealed that there are a lot of people who are quick to lionize those who offend the views of Islamist terrorists in France but who are a lot less tolerant toward those who offend their own views at home.

Just look at all the people who have overreacted to campus micro-aggressions. The University of Illinois fired a professor who taught the Roman Catholic view on homosexuality. The University of Kansas suspended a professor for writing a harsh tweet against the N.R.A. Vanderbilt University derecognized a Christian group that insisted that it be led by Christians.

Americans may laud Charlie Hebdo for being brave enough to publish cartoons ridiculing the Prophet Muhammad, but, if Ayaan Hirsi Ali is invited to campus, there are often calls to deny her a podium.

So this might be a teachable moment. As we are mortified by the slaughter of those writers and editors in Paris, it’s a good time to come up with a less hypocritical approach to our own controversial figures, provocateurs and satirists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/09/opinion/david-brooks-i-am-not-charlie-hebdo.html?rref=collection/column/david-brooks&_r=0

They sort of defended Charlie Hebdo. They mostly said the magazine brought it on itself. Perhaps some backtracked after the massive outpouring of support in Europe.

If someone published such a magazine on a college campus, the editors would be expelled from school for "hate speech."

Interesting.

Wasn't it conservatives who insistrd that any funding be cut that was going to organizations associated with Serrano's Piss Christ and the works of Robert Mapplethorpe?

Yeah, so? are you trying to equate cutting off spending with slaughtering people?

My Hungarian-American immigrant boss made this quip: Why didn't (the staff of Charlie Hebdo) people just put their hand up, and say DON'T SHOOT! Where are all those Ferguson protesters about now...
theo2.jpg

The hardcore American Left is more than ready to punish people for offending them.

The similarities are obvious.

Why aren't you blaming the cartoonists for getting themselves shot? Didn't they instigate it?

You blamed the protestors over Garner in NY for getting the 2 cops shot. You said they were to blame...

Why the fuck not? I can't think of a reason, not a one.

Making fun of Muslims or Muhammad is "hate speech," don't you know. They don't allow that on university campuses.

The hardcore American Left is more than ready to punish people for offending them.

Why aren't you blaming the cartoonists for getting themselves shot? Didn't they instigate it?

You blamed the protestors over Garner in NY for getting the 2 cops shot. You said they were to blame...

I did?

When?

Link?

Still trying that old lie?

This is why I no longer try to communicate with you. Lie after lie. Pathological.

Making fun of Muslims or Muhammad is "hate speech," don't you know. They don't allow that on university campuses.
Never head that before about a publication. You get that out of your butt again my little infant?

You serious?

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

If you wanted a more accurate analogy you would blame the Muslims in France who condone the massacre of anyone who insults Islam.

Never head that before about a publication. You get that out of your butt again my little infant?

Do you ever watch the news? Many students have been suspended from school for so-called "hate speech." They don't practice freedom of speech on universality campuses.

Last edited:

I did?

When?

Link?

This is why I no longer try to communicate with you. Lie after lie. Pathological.

Goddam, you're now denying you said this:

The PC Police should apologize....
. ... to the families of the two dead NY cops. You fan the flames, you are responsible for the consequences. .

So,again, did the cartoonists fan the flames or not...applying YOUR OWN REASONING...

Do you ever watch the news? Man students have been suspended from school for so-called "hate speech." They don't practice freedom of speech on universality campuses.
They don't have to. They don't in corporations or the military either, that's for the sidewalk. Now find me a link where a kid was expelled for reading a publication? Go...

I did?

When?

Link?

Goddam, you're now denying you said this:

The PC Police should apologize....
. ... to the families of the two dead NY cops. You fan the flames, you are responsible for the consequences. .

So,again, did the cartoonists fan the flames or not...applying YOUR OWN REASONING...

That's a delightful link, thanks.

Quote, please.

You serious?

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?

If you wanted a more accurate analogy you would blame the Muslims in France who condone the massacre of anyone who insults Islam.

He's flailing, he doesn't want to admit the similarities.

Too bad.

Now let's see if he keeps lying about me.

Were have all the phony police brutality protests gone since the media is now target of terrorism? Anyone notice that after the first journalist was beheaded by ISIS, riots have subsided, then when the media returned to the Ferguson matter, the riots simultaneously reoccurred? I don't think that was just a coincidence. No. Policemen were murdered, and NOW Police are on the hit list of terrorists TOO.

Forum List

Back