LeVar Burton wants you to read banned books

What drives people to silence others, and quash the free exchange of ideas?

“When I read Fahrenheit 451 for the first time,” LeVar Burton says, “I couldn’t imagine that situation in my reality. It was a shame, right? Wow. Those poor people in that misguided society. I live in that society now. That dystopian story has become my truth.”

LeVar Burton Wants You to Read Banned Books

Florida, the leading state, banned over 500 books. Florida’s governor is a huge proponent of that. This is massively concerning to the majority of Americans who do not support book bans.

Burton compares the banning of books to attempts to control women's bodies:

"This is part of a movement that we are battling for control over our minds and our bodies."

While liberals have been justifiably criticized for their efforts to alter classic works of fiction, conservatives seem to be pursuing a deeper and more pervasive effort to deny access to books they deem unacceptable.

But these same conservatives are the first to decry what they correctly describe as the war on conservative speech online, and the so-called "cancellation" of those who may have engaged in unpopular/unfashionable expression.

Why this disconnect?

Will the Constitution prevail, or are we on a steep slide into cultural darkness?
Banning books what a stupid idea. So many great books out there on that ban list that I say are must reads. Florida wants to ban books and will deprive their children of a good education in the process by taking great books off the reading list.

Asked and answered dozens of times in numerous threads.

There's also Google and the Bible itself.

But conservatives, as is their pattern, insist on denying reality, and denouncing the simple truth as well as those who speak it.
It’s not up to me to verify your claims. You made the claim, now you prove it, or your full of shit.

Banning books what a stupid idea. So many great books out there on that ban list that I say are must reads. Florida wants to ban books and will deprive their children of a good education in the process by taking great books off the reading list.
Oh? Enlighten us…

A heartbreaking piece from Ms. which talks about this, and cites books a teacher salvaged from destruction:

It advocates for the rape, torture and murder of children; are you okay with that?

See above.

We can agree to disagree, but I think books like the ones you shared, and the Bible, are okay for 12+s.

None should be banned.

The Bible is pretty horrendous, yes, but as with the graphic novels pictured, fine for 12+s who seek them out.

Numerous comments in this thread, and numerous other threads here.

This is 100% driven by conservative homophobia/hysteria.

The Bible is far worse than anything you shared, but I think it's fine for 12+s.

LGBTQ+ content; hundreds if not thousands of comments.

Denying this is denying basic reality.

You may perhaps be more of a soldier in the war on expression then.

What you beleive it is, but I think you lack objectivity.

I have no idea what you're talking about; the topic is banned books.

I think any rational person can see this, and also many conservatives who have said this hundreds/thousands of times on this thread/forum.

You're denying reality.

Not at all; I oppose it.

It advocates for the rape, torture and murder of children; are you okay with that?

Really? I’m waiting for you to provide that evidence, links to Bible passages. I don’t believe it advocates any of that. If you have that proof, then post it.

We can agree to disagree, but I think books like the ones you shared, and the Bible, are okay for 12+s.

None should be banned.

Yes, we will disagree, but the issue is, while YOU might think it’s ok for kids, most other people don’t, society in general disagrees with you. The parents of those schools have a say in what is available to their children.

And again, none of those books are banned, they are not allowed to be placed in school libraries, but can likely be bought in bookstores.

Numerous comments in this thread, and numerous other threads here.

The comments on this forum are not why the books were removed from schools in Florida. As
If yet, I’ve not seen any evidence that anyone has said the books were removed because of the trans content. I’m sure people don’t like that content, but it wasn’t listed as the reason for the removal from schools.

Also, please show me where any books that depict straight sex with inappropriate images still remain on the shelves in florida schools.

LGBTQ+ content; hundreds if not thousands of comments.

Denying this is denying basic reality.

well, If it’s basic then you’ll be able to provide quotes from those in Florida who want those books removed because they just don’t like trans/gay content.

I have no idea what you're talking about; the topic is banned books.

You mentioned the “hysteria”, I’m pointing out that it was the left embroiled in hysteria with all of the whole non existent “don’t say gay” nonsense.

I think any rational person can see this, and also many conservatives who have said this hundreds/thousands of times on this thread/forum.

I think those on the left inflate the story to make it worse than what it is. Do a lot of people oppose the homosexual lifestyle? Sure, but that doesnt
mean they removed the books because of that. Again, if it was because of the gay content and not the graphic images, then you should be able to find books in those school libraries that have similar graphic content but are about straight sex, that still remain.

Feel free to Google this.

It's also been shared dozens of times on most/all the book ban threads here.

Conservatives ignore all the information provided, and ask for it again and again, and I have no interest in playing that troll game any longer.

I have…I didn’t find anything. You apparently have knowledge of this so it should be quick and easy to copy and paste some links to Bible verses that say what you claim.

A new documentary on these book bans:

(SOUNDBITE OF DOCUMENTARY, "THE ABCS OF BOOK BANNING")

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #1: You can look at a shelf, and they've left us with "Junie B. Jones," which...

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #2: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #1: ...Personally, is a second-grade level book...

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #2: Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #1: ...For me.

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #3: A lot of the Black history books are being pulled.

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #1: Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #2: Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED CHILD #4: I don't know if we have any LBGTQ books in our thing, but if we did, they would be taking them away.

So sad.

I have…I didn’t find anything.
That's VERY strange, This.

Can you share the search term/s you used, and which search engine/s?

I'll duplicate these terms/searches, and report back on what I find.

If necessary, I can add a word - like "Bible" perhaps - to expand the search.

TIA
You apparently have knowledge of this so it should be quick and easy to copy and paste some links to Bible verses that say what you claim.
Very much so; I'm astonished that you didn't pull up millions of returns in your no doubt profoundly diligent search.

But if you share what you entered and where as requested above, I'm sure we can sort it all out.

:)

Forum List

Back