Let's say the Republicans take the Senate

It's the day after the elections (or the run-offs) and the Republicans now hold 51 to 54 Senate seats.

Now what? What would we see? What's the plan? And remember that Obama is still in the White House.

What will their victory mean in tangible terms?

Be specific, please.

The day after the election? Obama signs amnesty legislation he illegally drew up and Harry Reid does nothing, refusing to support impeachment.

Do you think a GOP-controlled Congress would take up impeachment?

Not what you want them to do, what you think they'll do?

And if so, is that a good idea politically?

No but they should if Obama goes around them and creates amnesty legislation to sign. We don't have a king.

Depends on what you mean by "amnesty".

He could legalize the illegals' existence without making them voting citizens.

I think.

Bills that Harry ignores will get put to vote.
Bills will get passed and sent to Obama. He can then veto and chance pissing off the people and insuring a republican presidency.
Or he will sign and things might improve. Like they did under Clinton.

Yeah, this may be as good a guess as we'll get. The GOP would almost certainly pass the bills that Reid has been holding back.

So two questions would remain: How many Obama would sign, and how well he and the Democrats could sell his vetoes.

The last time this country was purring, Clinton was in the White House and the GOP controlled Congress.

Both knew how to play ball. Balance, baby.

Forget that. That was prior to the TEA party. By June of next year, I think Obama's approval rating is 10 to 20 points higher if he vetoes these bills. You never look stronger than you do after you've slapped down the opposition.

Key stone may pass because he left himself an out on it.

Bills will get passed and sent to Obama. He can then veto and chance pissing off the people and insuring a republican presidency.

Yeah, this may be as good a guess as we'll get. The GOP would almost certainly pass the bills that Reid has been holding back.

So two questions would remain: How many Obama would sign, and how well he and the Democrats could sell his vetoes.

The last time this country was purring, Clinton was in the White House and the GOP controlled Congress.

Forget that. That was prior to the TEA party. By June of next year, I think Obama's approval rating is 10 to 20 points higher if he vetoes these bills. You never look stronger than you do after you've slapped down the opposition.

That's my guess as to what he's thinking.

If the Congress approves some hardcore, Tea Party-fueled stuff, he can point at it, say "holy shit, look at THAT" and veto it.

The more moderate members of the party had better be careful here, and the party had better be cautious about what it wishes for.

If the Congress approves some hardcore, Tea Party-fueled stuff, he can point at it, say "holy shit, look at THAT" and veto it.

The more moderate members of the party had better be careful here, and the party had better be cautious about what it wishes for.

The problem with having the football is that you're expected to score. When you can't...two things happen.

First...the opposition looks stronger. Not good when there is a six month window between now and the '16 election season kick off.

Two...if you don't aim high and try to flex your new found muscles...your own backers begin to wonder if the coach is trying. So Boehner had better watch his flank.

On the plus side is that the GOP can throttle the engine and decide what to push and what to save for an issue. They can also recraft legislation to appear more mainstream.

The problem with having the football is that you're expected to score. When you can't...two things happen.

First...the opposition looks stronger. Not good when there is a six month window between now and the '16 election season kick off.

Two...if you don't aim high and try to flex your new found muscles...your own backers begin to wonder if the coach is trying. So Boehner had better watch his flank.

On the plus side is that the GOP can throttle the engine and decide what to push and what to save for an issue. They can also recraft legislation to appear more mainstream.

I'm harboring a morbid curiosity about how the TP-approved new senators would behave on votes.

If they have control, would they stick to their guns to please their base, or would they moderate, knowing that going too far would hurt them?

I guess we'll see.

I'm harboring a morbid curiosity about how the TP-approved new senators would behave on votes.

If they have control, would they stick to their guns to please their base, or would they moderate, knowing that going too far would hurt them?

I guess we'll see.

Well, here's the thing. Most of the new senators this year will not be Teabaggers. the Establishment managed to beat down every TP challenge except maybe Iowa, and even there, Joni Ernst is doing well because most people don't know how batshit crazy she is.

The real problem will be the Teabaggers who are already there posturing to either run for President in 2016 (Cruz and Paul) or grandstanding because they know they are going to get swept out in 2016. (Johnson, Toomey)

Nothing will happen because the Democrats will filibuster anything Republican that tries to get out of the Senate and the president will veto the rest, and, comically,

the GOP, the most obstructionist party in history, will be crying Democrat obstruction all the way.

Since when have either the pres or the GOP been willing to work together?

When has the President talked to any Republican leaders, let alone any Democrat leaders. If he wants favorable legislation, he needs to deal with them, and he doesn't even try.

Oh, you are smarter than that. Our party leaders won't deal with the Pres until we are in lame duck sessions, then we give him what he wants.

ACA is not going way.

Unfortunately for the American people you may be right about the lame duck session. That would be the first time you were right.

Any impeachment effort by the GOP House will energize the Democratic Party in this nation at a time it will be in the driver's seat for a Dem win in 2016 the like we have not seen since 1936.

It's the day after the elections (or the run-offs) and the Republicans now hold 51 to 54 Senate seats.

Now what? What would we see? What's the plan? And remember that Obama is still in the White House.

Be specific, please.

have a senate vote on the hundreds of bills that Reid has been sitting on. Send the ones that pass to obama for signature. Then make it public which ones he signs and vetos.

Any impeachment effort by the GOP House will energize the Democratic Party in this nation at a time it will be in the driver's seat for a Dem win in 2016 the like we have not seen since 1936.

there is not going to be any impeachment. The only people who want it are partisan dem fools like you. The GOP will be much better off in 2016 after obama has two more years to screw up the country.

Nothing will happen because the Democrats will filibuster anything Republican that tries to get out of the Senate and the president will veto the rest, and, comically,

the GOP, the most obstructionist party in history, will be crying Democrat obstruction all the way.

I see that you have had you bowl of bullshit this morning. Do you ever post anything except lies and talking points?

I see that you have had you bowl of bullshit this morning. Do you ever post anything except lies and talking points?

What do you wish to dispute?

All I expect is for republicans be able to stop obola from doing more damage. At least significant damage. Just stop obola. Find a way to roadblock him.

Replace Bohner. Start passing some bills that were not making it to the floor and stand up for what is right. Recall funding for parts of ACA.

Recall some of the EO's. Review funding of federal programs that are ineffective or duplicates and cut them. Republicans take charge, listen to Democrats and Independents who have good ideas and get Congress working again.

Be specific, please.

Block everything Obama tries to do, get some if the bills passed that Harry "the douchebag" Reid refuses to vote on. Try to reverse the damage done by Obama and his idiot cronies.

Yep, follow that strategy, and lose in 2016, big time.

Meh, who says? You? You're nothing but an ignorant left wing nut job.

You can bet that Obama would rather see the country go down the toilet before he'd ever play ball.

You mean to say that he will not see his keystone accomplishment destroyed, you are correct. But try that now, and the rest of the nation will see the GOP as nothing but sore losers.

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz......

there is not going to be any impeachment. The only people who want it are partisan dem fools like you. The GOP will be much better off in 2016 after obama has two more years to screw up the country.
Translating Redfish: He knows I am Republican, and he can't stand that I rebuke continually his anti-American cultural mccarthyism. He is right there will not be any impeachment. He may be right that we have a chance in 2016 if we get rid of any decision or policy making by such as he in party matters.

Be specific, please.

I wish the win could be more lob sided but let's say what contend is true. What it does in NOT reward Harry Reid and company for the dismal state of affairs for the last disastrous 8 years. There is little I even want the Senate to do which they will actually do. But the democrats entrenched in power need a butt whopping I hope it happens.

Forum List

Back