Let's Reward Chicago's Dumbest Students With A Laptop!

My teenagers both have straight A's in high school, and no one in the family owns a laptop, nor do we own a printer. They use our PC and email their assignments to themselves in order to print at school.

They get a lot out of the school environment socially. They interact and adapt to different teachers. They work out the intricacies of social interactions in an group settings that do mimic the workplace in many ways.

My teenagers both have straight A's in high school, and no one in the family owns a laptop, nor do we own a printer. They use our PC and email their assignments to themselves in order to print at school.

They get a lot out of the school environment socially. They interact and adapt to different teachers. They work out the intricacies of social interactions in an group settings that do mimic the workplace in many ways.

I think you speak for the vast majority of students. Schools are not only about teaching, but also about the socialization process. Granted there are dangerous schools and perhaps online instruction would be a viable alternative, if there is supervision at home.

But this off the top of his head proposal, but a candidate for mayor? Ridiculous at this economic moment, ridiculous at this moment in technology development and costs.

I think you speak for the vast majority of students. Schools are not only about teaching, but also about the socialization process. Granted there are dangerous schools and perhaps online instruction would be a viable alternative, if there is supervision at home.

But this off the top of his head proposal, but a candidate for mayor? Ridiculous at this economic moment, ridiculous at this moment in technology development and costs.

Its Chicago.

The socialization can be a community effort.

Part of the school cirriculum could be community service in which every student helped the community in some way.

They could also earn points for social events by helping the community or local businesses.

Donations by participating community members for a Dance or whatever.

Part of the school cirriculum could be community service in which every student helped the community in some way.

They could also earn points for social events by helping the community or local businesses.

Kids need to interact with other kids on a daily basis. How else do you think they are going to learn how to deal with social situations and problems. A few meetings with others every now and again wont help them one bit.

Weren't you the one pushing for MORE brick and mortar schools? More more more schools is the ONLY WAY to go? Or did i misunderstand your meltdown?

or are you just for spending other peoples money?

Last edited:

Most jobs involve being away from the home for at least 8 hours..and also involve interaction with others.

Schools provide a training ground to foster behavior necessary to be in that sort of environment.

I am all for the laptops. But not for closing down schools.

Most jobs involve being away from the home for at least 8 hours..and also involve interaction with others.

Schools provide a training ground to foster behavior necessary to be in that sort of environment.

I am for the laptops if and when each parent can afford one along with being responsible for the laptops care and upkeep.

With laptops, though, there wouldn't be so much time lost because of "snow days" like last year. The teachers could simply work with the kids on the computer--unless there were heavy power outages.

Remote learning is where this country is headed.

A laptop is much cheaper than a building, lights, gas, teacher, principle, janitor, and on and on.

The right jsut always fails to see the big picture which is why they are so bad for this country.

There is something to be said for interaction with a teacher. But remote classes are good to supplement the classroom experience, but imho, not replace it.

Very true, They will not replace the teacher but make the learning experience much more personal.

Imagine a teacher the kids see once a week and then from home with the teacher they see in class on the line with them providing the one on one.

The main reason our kids fail today is huge assed schools where the kids feel like pond scum because vertually no one really knows them.

This is my suggestions

I'm not keen on huge sized schools for k-5. Especially in grades k-2 when children are learning to separate, read, and socialize, the more consistency the better for most.

Middle school? Not as big of an issue, especially if the students are in blocs for the subjects. They'll have the same teachers generally for 2-4 years depending how the school is organized from 5-8 or 6-8 or 6-9.

High school? Seems the bigger the school, the better for most kids. The numbers allow for the greatest diversity of choices in classes, teachers, honor/AP courses, and a multitude of ability levels. There are more opportunities for clubs, sports, and other extracurricular activities.

Class sizes are very important for some, especially in primary grades where the need for one-on-one may be high. Not so much so in higher level grades and less so for honors types of programs.

All of this discussion though is about kids without serious issues. Some kids do have big problems and need special classes or perhaps staying home and virtual teachers.

AND just a thought folks.

If this laptop is just for the elimination of text books, Why would they need loaded laptops? All they need is a striped down word processing program for homework and memory for each text book.

How do you think that would go over? A glorified typewriter with a memory and a screen. Still think they want one?

Big high schools are why kids are not graduating.

They are treated like crap because no one knows them.

It makes kids hate school.

I have seen it over and over and over

I'm not keen on huge sized schools for k-5. Especially in grades k-2 when children are learning to separate, read, and socialize, the more consistency the better for most.

Middle school? Not as big of an issue, especially if the students are in blocs for the subjects. They'll have the same teachers generally for 2-4 years depending how the school is organized from 5-8 or 6-8 or 6-9.

High school? Seems the bigger the school, the better for most kids. The numbers allow for the greatest diversity of choices in classes, teachers, honor/AP courses, and a multitude of ability levels. There are more opportunities for clubs, sports, and other extracurricular activities.

Class sizes are very important for some, especially in primary grades where the need for one-on-one may be high. Not so much so in higher level grades and less so for honors types of programs.

All of this discussion though is about kids without serious issues. Some kids do have big problems and need special classes or perhaps staying home and virtual teachers.

And from a teachers POV. Just how much resistance would you get for

1- suggesting parents keep their kids home all day while parents need to go to work?
2- suggesting bullies and troublemakers no longer attend class and stay home because they are disruptive?
3- suggesting ANY special needs student stay home because they are just that, special needs?

Just isn't born out. In this area the best high schools are among the largest: New Trier, Hinsdale, York, Naperville, Glenbard, Wheaton.

In the city Lane-Tech and Whitney Young are huge and amongst the best in the country.

It all has to do with administration and organization. There are solid plans on addressing the needs of the kids, whether they are challenged in some way or gifted. The program needs to fit the kid.

A class to help 10th graders with reading, math, or study skills-needs to be small. No more than 11 or 12. Same problem but with 3rd graders, no more than 4 or 5 kids.

AP courses? Not unusual today to have 28-35 kids in a class. The students are motivated and capable. They are where we'd want all kids to be.

Remote learning is where this country is headed.

A laptop is much cheaper than a building, lights, gas, teacher, principle, janitor, and on and on.

The right jsut always fails to see the big picture which is why they are so bad for this country.
I must have missed the bit in the candidate's vote-buying scheme where he said he'd shut down the brick-and-mortar schools and let kids learn from home.

Speaking of big picture: How are you going to pay for this? The Left just always fails to come up with any way to pay for their unicorns-and-meadows utopian schemes.

Let me guess: "Tax the rich!!"

Stupid kids are why they are not graduating

And just how much interaction do you think they will get so others will "know them". Or do you think isolation and social networks are the better way to go?

Parents have the option of home schooling or paying for a private school.

I am for the laptops if and when each parent can afford one along with being responsible for the laptops care and upkeep.

This is the sort of attitude that fosters a permanent underclass of people in this country.

Cheers.

Last edited:
When was the last time you talked to a group of teens who saw you as someone that would listen?

The high schools today are like little prisons where they are treated like cattle.

Go ask some kids.

When was the last time you talked to a group of teens who saw you as someone that would listen?

The high schools today are like little prisons where they are treated like cattle.

Go ask some kids.

So you prefer veal in a crate?

Forum List

Back