Let's Reward Chicago's Dumbest Students With A Laptop!

Remote learning is where this country is headed.

A laptop is much cheaper than a building, lights, gas, teacher, principle, janitor, and on and on.

The right jsut always fails to see the big picture which is why they are so bad for this country.

Where do you park all the bandito babies so Mommasita can go home and watch I Love Lucy on her 52" DTV or screw out another bandito.

A laptop is much cheaper than a building, lights, gas, teacher, principle, janitor, and on and on.

The right jsut always fails to see the big picture which is why they are so bad for this country.
Operative word, implies future.

and may i add "unions"

You dont ever get to the future by always throwing out the anchor and screaming NO to everything. hooray !!!

Last edited:

Where do you park all the bandito babies so Mommasita can go home and watch I Love Lucy on her 52" DTV or screw out another bandito.

shut the fuck up bullfucker, we're talkin here

There is something to be said for interaction with a teacher. But remote classes are good to supplement the classroom experience, but imho, not replace it.

Very true, They will not replace the teacher but make the learning experience much more personal.

Imagine a teacher the kids see once a week and then from home with the teacher they see in class on the line with them providing the one on one.

The main reason our kids fail today is huge assed schools where the kids feel like pond scum because vertually no one really knows them.

Why just Chicago? Why not the whole country? Just Chicago kids count?

Seriously, if one is to take this seriously, you don't see better ways TODAY to spend money then on electronics that cannot TODAY take the abuse that is certain to come their way? As I said, check out your local schools computers now in use, close to 50% are down and most of those will be pcs. That assumes you live in a middle class area.

There is something to be said for interaction with a teacher. But remote classes are good to supplement the classroom experience, but imho, not replace it.

Very true, They will not replace the teacher but make the learning experience much more personal.

Imagine a teacher the kids see once a week and then from home with the teacher they see in class on the line with them providing the one on one.

The main reason our kids fail today is huge assed schools where the kids feel like pond scum because vertually no one really knows them.

go t.m. i like the wordplay on "virtually" no one knows them. what say you annie, you're the teacher here...

Seriously, if one is to take this seriously, you don't see better ways TODAY to spend money then on electronics that cannot TODAY take the abuse that is certain to come their way? As I said, check out your local schools computers now in use, close to 50% are down and most of those will be pcs. That assumes you live in a middle class area.

the thread started with chicago, one of the poorest "dumbest" places in america, . i'm already thinking somalia... i grew up on the southside. i need to find one kid from cabrini, that made a great life for herself, to ask her, would your life, or those of the kids around you have been better with a computer.

Last edited:
This is a really stupid idea and it is pointless to talk about it.
Handing out laptop computers to hundreds of thousands of students is cost prohibitive.
The mayoral candidate is proposing the residents Chicago to fork over a larger portion of their earnings to pay for an idea that is at best nonsensical in it's conception.

This thread should wither on the vine.
Let the do-gooders and the professional spenders of other people's money hash it out in la la land. Because in reality, it isn't happening.

i thought you made a big deal of resigning from this thread that won't wither. what do you care if we talk about it. sounds to me as if you are still "in". i respect your view, i just think it's wrong...
Hey..i simply told another poster I'd not e replying to HIM.
How can an opinion be "wrong"..Ok you keep throwing out invectives on how laptops are available on some market that sells them cheaply or is willing to give them away.
Got a link?....and another issue you forget is a support system. These lappers will have to be repaired and maintained at great expense. A Wifi network would have to be specially built at each campus to handle the heavy traffic. that network has to be maintained.
These things all cost tons of money.
Perhaps in the future when technology of this kind becomes affordable, a program such as this can in fact function.
Now is not the time.

go t.m. i like the wordplay on "virtually" no one knows them. what say you annie, you're the teacher here...

No wordplay just bad spelling.

It is what will happen in this country, Its cost effective.

Look for the book publishers to fight it big time.

Texas wont be able to deside what books we all use anymore.

The books will be in cyberspace.

the thread started with chicago, one of the poorest "dumbest" places in america, . i'm already thinking somalia... i grew up on the southside. i need to find one kid from cabrini, that made a great life for herself, to ask her, would your life, or those of the kids around you have been better with a computer.

I'd love a new computer! I could get more done, much more efficiently. Wanna buy me one? I'll even use it to teach!

This is a really stupid idea and it is pointless to talk about it.
Handing out laptop computers to hundreds of thousands of students is cost prohibitive.
The mayoral candidate is proposing the residents Chicago to fork over a larger portion of their earnings to pay for an idea that is at best nonsensical in it's conception.

This thread should wither on the vine.
Let the do-gooders and the professional spenders of other people's money hash it out in la la land. Because in reality, it isn't happening.

i thought you made a big deal of resigning from this thread that won't wither. what do you care if we talk about it. sounds to me as if you are still "in". i respect your view, i just think it's wrong...
Hey..i simply told another poster I'd not e replying to HIM.
How can an opinion be "wrong"..Ok you keep throwing out invectives on how laptops are available on some market that sells them cheaply or is willing to give them away.
Got a link?....and another issue you forget is a support system. These lappers will have to be repaired and maintained at great expense. A Wifi network would have to be specially built at each campus to handle the heavy traffic. that network has to be maintained.
These things all cost tons of money.
Perhaps in the future when technology of this kind becomes affordable, a program such as this can in fact function.
Now is not the time.

it's a good goal irrespective if invectives and bureaucratic entanglement. it's not that insurmountable. a thousand kids would cost 200,000 g's, that includes a generous maintenance budget) that's way less than cocaine monkeys, joke telling machines, and seven million dollars of stimuls money for hillary clinton's campaign pollster to create three jobs. these are the facts. priorities.

Last edited:
A Laptop in Every Pot:

Gery Chico's Promises to Chicago Public Schools

By Carol Felsenthal
At a news conference Tuesday, mayoral candidate Gery Chico offered so much good stuff to students and their parents that it’s hard to imagine why any voter with a child, grandchild, niece, or nephew in the Chicago public schools wouldn’t vote for him.

Here’s some of what Chico is offering:
  • Laptops for all
  • School days extended by two hours—a boon to working parents
  • School year extended by 25 days
  • Full-day kindergarten
  • Preschool for all three- and four-year-olds
I asked him on Thursday how he plans to pay for all this.
“The first place I would look is in the textbook budget that we have today, which is tens of millions of dollars,” Chico said. Sleek laptops would replace the universally despised tomes. Though he held up an Apple MacBookPro at the news conference, he said the computers he plans to offer—first to high school students, next to first- through eighth-graders—could be Apples, Dells, or another brand. By the end of his first term, every student would have a state-of-the-art laptop to bring to class and to take home. “If I can do it sooner, I’ll do it sooner.”

Chico said he hopes that those nice people at Apple, who renovated the dingy North and Clybourn stop on the Red Line abutting the new Apple store, might want to kick in some money. “This would be the largest bulk purchase of hardware maybe in the history of education, and so you’re darn right we would have direct conversations with manufacturers.” Asked if he has heard yet from the likes of Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, he said, “No, not yet, but they will [call].”

His second step to pay for his proposed items would be to cut the central office staff by a third. “In the HR department when I was there [as board president from 1995-2001], it was about 90 people. Today it’s about 170 to 180, with fewer employees to manage.”

Chico told me that the feedback—particularly to the laptop part of his plan—has been ecstatic. “I walk down the street, and strangers shout, ‘Chico, great idea on the laptops.’”

I asked him about the student who gets jumped walking home with his computer, or the kid whose home life is so unstable that the laptop disappears in a drug deal. “I have more faith than that—in our parents and our kids. You’re going to have a certain percentage of loss, but that doesn’t mean we don’t do the program. We have to aspire to be better.”
“Has anyone accused you of offering a bribe?” I asked. “A laptop for a vote?”

“I’m not trying to pander to anybody,” Chico said. “I’m trying to make schools in this city the best in the country, and you’re not going to get there by namby-pamby, band-aid approaches.”

Chico’s opinions about the bloated bureaucracy at CPS were a surprise to Mayor Daley, who said Thursday: “He never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever mentioned that to me.” Asked if he had read Chico’s plan to revamp the schools, Daley snapped, “I have better things to do.” The mayor’s response was quite a turn from what he said about Chico in a September interview just after announcing his retirement. He had called Chico “a wonderful public servant” who was “closer to [him] than anyone else.”
Later on Thursday, Chico called another press conference and credited Daley for doing a “tremendous job” for Chicago. But the candidate held his ground: “This isn’t about Mayor Daley or any one person. I stand on my own two feet. If it ruffles feathers, what am I going to do about it?”

A Laptop in Every Pot: Gery Chico's Promises to Chicago Public Schools - Felsenthal Files - November 2010

-------------------------------------------------

Only the most corrupt of politicians would tangle a free laptop in front of the parents of some of the dumbest students in America. I guess Chico feels he can grease his way into the Office of Mayor of Chicago with this stunt. And look at the extra 2 hours of free baby sitting he is giving the parents of those bandit babies from south of the border.

What next: Small arms and explosives training for the invading third world students under the Dream Act?

That is the most ridiculous plan I've read about in a long, long time.

If you teach kids by computor you can avoid huge costs involved in a brick and mortar school.

Why are all you righties so brick brained?

Seems to me that the conversation has moved from 'giving' each student a laptop, costs, effectiveness, dangers, benefits to arguing for online classes? There's a place for them, they already exist. Generally are part of the homeschool movement, but also used for special needs kids, gifted, and those that don't want to be 'in school.'

Works for me, keep the kids at home all day with a screen for a teacher.

GREAT left idea you got going there tm.

OH jjjjeeaaaazzzzuuuuusssss

Get off that soap box tm. Do try and stick with one topic at a time.

OH jjjjeeaaaazzzzuuuuusssss

Get off that soap box tm. Do try and stick with one topic at a time.

man... you are so cynical and negative.

Forum List

Back