Let us do Yoga

Yoga is the platform on which organized martial art disciplines were formed. When Bodhidharma made his challenging journey from India to Shaolin temple, he spent lots of solitary time as to be expected.During this journey, he observed animals attack each other and defend themselves from each other. He started to develop blocking and punching techniques inspired by natural movements of various animals partly to defend himself on the rugged journey. Yoga itself has poses that are inspired by stances of various animals. Once he founded Shaolin temple, he devised an exercise plan to promote better health and self defense of the monks. This routine spread throught out far east along with Buddhism and is considered the foundation for all eastern martial arts such as Kyokushin kaikan, Taekwando, etc.

Here is a tough Yogi demonstrating One Legged Peacock (among few other poses); it requires incredible upper body strength:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from teaching you physical postures, a Yoga teacher (Guru) also imparts you with words of wisdom. Here are some words of wisdom. I hope you will draw inspiration from them.

I think some of you will benefit from this simple aasan (pose). It is easy to do and is packed with benefits. Chelsey Korus, a Yoga instructor will walk you through Warrior Pose 1 in this video.

Benefits of Warrior I Pose:
Strengthens your shoulders, arms, legs, ankles and back
Opens yours hips, chest and lungs
Improves focus, balance and stability
Encourages good circulation and respiration
Stretches your arms, legs, shoulders, neck, belly, groins and ankles
Energizes the entire body

http://www.cnyhealingarts.com/2011/05/20/the-health-benefits-of-virabhadrasana-i-warrior-i-pose/

We will continue with our Warrior Pose series and do the Warrior Pose II today. Here is Julie Wilcox showing you how to do this:

Benefits:

Increases the strength and flexibility of the legs, ankles and feet.
Therapeutic for flat feet, sciatica, backaches and osteoporosis.
Stretches the groin, hip muscles and connective tissue of the hips.
Opens the chest, lungs and shoulders.
Builds stamina.

Strike A Yoga Pose: Warrior II Basics and Benefits | Yoga with Lindsay Fields

^ Just curious. What made you stop? I am relatively new to Yoga. I used to think it was only for pretty girls. Anyhow, now I am a firm believer in Yoga. I have noticed following benefits for myself:

- I used to have lazy left foot which created awkward walking and standing posture but doing Tree Pose few times a week seemed to strengthen and turned my lazy foot into active foot.

- I used to have heavy dependence on acid reducers but since I started doing Yoga regularly, I have to rarely take acid reducers.

- I have much more relaxed attitude towards life, work and stress.

^ Just curious. What made you stop? I am relatively new to Yoga. I used to think it was only for pretty girls. Anyhow, now I am a firm believer in Yoga. I have noticed following benefits for myself:

- I used to have lazy left foot which created awkward walking and standing posture but doing Tree Pose few times a week seemed to strengthen and turned my lazy foot into active foot.

- I used to have heavy dependence on acid reducers but since I started doing Yoga regularly, I have to rarely take acid reducers.

- I have much more relaxed attitude towards life, work and stress.

No real reason, I just moved onto other types of exercise and stopped doing yoga.

I also liked tai chi and quit that to.

I just go through phases I guess.:cool:

Glad to hear it is helping you, maybe I will get back into it myself.

Last edited:
^ Yoga has helped me become a better person physically and spiritually. I used to spend hours in gym trying to stay in shape. But with Yoga, I have developed upper body strength much more effectively without having to do bench presses and weight lifting.

By the way, I think Hatha Yoga is a very good discipline.

Last edited:
We are going to conclude our Warrior Pose series by doing Warrior Pose III. Here is a very good video from My Yoga Online. This explains the benefits and the technique of attaining the pose.

Tree Pose is the pose of today. It is very simple but just as beneficial as any other pose. So give it a try if you are in a condition to do so. Here is a good video from Stephanie Snyder demonstrating how to do this pose.

Health Benefits of Tree Pose:
Improves balance and stability in the legs
On a metaphysical level, helps one to achieve balance in other aspects of life
Strengthens the ligaments and tendon of the feet
Strengthens and tones the entire standing leg, up to the buttocks
Assists the body in establishing pelvic stability
Strengthen the bones of the hips and legs due to the weight-bearing nature of the pose
Builds self-confidence and esteem

http://www.cnyhealingarts.com/2010/10/29/the-health-benefits-of-vrikshasana-tree-pose/

All right, it is time to do some Yoga. We will do Eagle Pose tonight. This can be difficult for guys with bulky arms. Ladies tend to have easier time with this pose. Here it is:

The benefits of Eagle pose are vast. Done properly and consistently, the most noticeable benefits include:
Stronger arms, legs, knees and ankles
Open shoulder joints, creating space between the shoulder blades
Open hips and IT band
Increased circulation to all joints
Improved digestion and elimination
Improved balance
Improved focus

http://www.active.com/mindandbody/articles/Pose_of_the_Month__Eagle_Pose

We will revisit Corrina Richards today to learn how to do Bow Pose.

Benefits of Bow Pose

The role of bow pose is vast. Done properly and consistently, the most noticeable benefits include:

Heat and strengthen the entire body; mostly legs, back and buttocks
Massage the abdominal organs
Aid digestion
Help people with respiratory ailments
Aid fatigue
Aid anxiety
Stretch and open whole anterior spine
Improve posture

If you are healthy, get your mat out. We will do Crane Pose tonight.

Benefits To Body Parts :
It helps in strengthening the wrists and arms.
It stretches the upper back and increases the flexibility and elasticity of the spine.
It strengthens and tones various muscles and organs in the abdominal region.
It also opens up the groin region.
The sense of balance, concentration, and co-ordination improves by practicing this posture regularly.

Steps, Precautions And Health Benefits Of Crane Pose(Bakasana)

This is a very good video for it introduces the concept behind Yoga along with some core Yoga techniques that serve as a foundation for Yoga. Yogini also describes benefits of these basic poses as she goes along. Please watch it and I hope you will benefit from it.

Looks like we have missed couple of Yoga classes. So let us get back in the groove. Tonight we will do Camel Pose.

Benefits of Camel Pose:

Reduces fat on thighs
Opens up the hips, stretching deep hip flexors
Stretches and strengthens the shoulders and back
Expands the abdominal region, improving digestion and elimination
Improves posture
Opens the chest, improving respiration
Loosens up the vertebrae
Relieves lower back pain
Helps to heal and balance the chakras
Strengthens thighs and arms
Improves flexibility, especially in the spine
Stimulates endocrine glands
Releases tension in the ovaries
Stretches the ankles, thighs, groin, abdomen, chest, and throat
Cures constipation
Tones organs of the abdomen, pelvis, and neck
Complements overall health and well-being

http://www.cnyhealingarts.com/2011/01/11/the-health-benefits-of-ustrasana-camel-pose/

We are going to do Flying Pigeon pose this evening. You have to be fit to attempt this pose so be aware.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=JAhDl2YOXC4]Yoga Online: Eka Pada Galavasana (Flying Pigeon) - YouTube[/ame]

Benefits:
Strengthens the abdominal muscles and arms. Stretches the hamstrings.

Yoga Pose: Flying Pigeon | Pocket Sports

Today, we will give ourselves a little break and watch this powerful testimony to Yoga.

Forum List

Back