Granny was on Vacation

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
For the first time in about 11 years I've been on a real vacation. Aaaah. My daughter Suzy and some of her friends rented this gorgeous house in Cocoa Beach, FL and I was asked to go along for the ride. Nice!! Actually, another parent was asked to go along, but decided she didn't want to go.

Gorgeous house! This is the first year the owners have rented it out and I guess we were about the fourth or fifth group to rent it. Nice to see how the "other half" lives. :tongue: This place had everything from a fully equipped kitchen to beach towels and body boards, etc. Beautifully decorated. Outdoor salt water swimming pool/spa completely screened in. About 1/2 block off the beach and an unobstructed ocean breeze 24/7. Luxury!! I actually got a little bit of a tan! I get sun poisoning so quickly. I'm telling you, I was slathering with SPF50 lotion about every 15 minutes! But, I got a little color and I was quite satisfied with that. Plus, I had my great big wide brimmed hat. Those of you who are ecologists would be very pleased with Granny ... it was made of 100% paper. I'm not sure how it was made, but it looked like it had been crocheted.

We had four really great cooks among us, and I'm telling you everything we ate at the house was top notch - better than anything we had when we ate out. I felt it was only fair that I cleaned up the kitchen since I didn't cook anything ... I rather enjoyed being "pampered" in that respect!

The weather was spectacular - zero humidity, sunshine every single day and ocean breezes that were too wonderful to even think about using the A/C.

The parent who decided not to go was replaced by her granddaughter who just graduated from college ... and her boyfriend. Oh, God help me. I met my first "intellectual." If this boyfriend is the definitive intellectual ... I thank God for sparing me from intellect. He's smart enough, I guess, but just ... well, he pissed me off from the get-go. I told Suzy's friend that her daughter deserved a hell of a lot more than this guy. He was lazy, sloppy - laid around all the time reading. The aroma of food, however, did spring him up off his butt very quickly. He was just sort of non-participatory - just sort of didn't relate very well with normal people. Even on the beach all of us were having a good time and he sat there reading.

I'm not really a beer drinker like the rest of the crew, so I got some wine and a big bottle of Disaronno - Lord, I love that stuff. This kid drank down almost the entire bottle in ONE evening. I couldn't believe it! Anyway, that bottle got replaced and not by me. I think he was scared to touch the second bottle! I didn't say anything to him, but I highly suspect his girlfriend's mother did say something to him.

I mean, this guy is totally unmotivated, has no ambition, no job, and no particular plan of action. I was heartened that his girlfriend has told him to get his act together by June or she's done. She IS motivated. His interaction with her with her just blew me away - I wanted to puke. I don't understand. He's a grown man, an ex-Marine with service in Iraq and Afghanistan ... and he acts like a moonie-eyed 16-year-old fool around this girl. I really just don't get it. I actually pondered writing to the top Marine brass at the Pentagon and asking him what the hell had happened to the Marines! LOL!

Anyway, it was a great vacation. They want to rent the place next year and I was told I could not come because it's for adults only. I love my daughter!

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great time even though you were doomed with the presence of the guy.
You all refreshed now for the next year. Then hie your butt off to someplace and invite whomever YOU wish. :)

LOL! I called my boss when I got home to let her know I was back and she said, "I NEEDED you today!! Where the hell where you ... driving all day to get home!!??" She's so funny! I'm not scheduled to go back to work until day after tomorrow. It's just been crazy for her because everybody wants to take vacation NOW and she knows she can count on me to step in and pick up the slack.

My daughter got a really nice text message from the people who rent the house we had. I don't think we had gotten far out of FL before that came. The maids called them all dancing, jumping up and down, and praising us because they were shocked at how nice and clean we had left everything. I can't imagine people who can actually afford those kinds of home rentals leave them trashed when they leave!! Just because the maids will take care of it?!

I found the majority of people don't give a damn about someone else's property..unless it is their own.

Forum List

Back