Legalized Government Theft

kwc57

BOHICA Obama
Jul 13, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
This isn't a left or right issue. Laws that were created to hit drug trafficing and organized crime are being used by local police to finance the operation of their departments.....and often pay nice bonuses. They target average citizens with bullshit excuses like driving to close to the center line and pull them over. If they are carrying a large sum of cash or the officer "smells" pot, their money and car are seized on the spot. Perfectly "legal" and very little recourse.

I first became aware of it a few weeks ago when my local paper had a story about an issue with a program in our state.

Oklahoma DA halts I-40 drug stops after criticism | News OK

Then I came across this story yesterday. It's kind of a long read, but well worth your time to realize what those who "serve and protect" are abusing every day citizens and destroying their lives. It's legalized highway roberry.

Sarah Stillman: The Use and Abuse of Civil Forfeiture : The New Yorker

"In general, you needn’t be found guilty to have your assets claimed by law enforcement; in some states, suspicion on a par with “probable cause” is sufficient. Nor must you be charged with a crime, or even be accused of one. Unlike criminal forfeiture, which requires that a person be convicted of an offense before his or her property is confiscated, civil forfeiture amounts to a lawsuit filed directly against a possession, regardless of its owner’s guilt or innocence."

"Yet only a small portion of state and local forfeiture cases target powerful entities. “There’s this myth that they’re cracking down on drug cartels and kingpins,” Lee McGrath, of the Institute for Justice, who recently co-wrote a paper on Georgia’s aggressive use of forfeiture, says. “In reality, it’s small amounts, where people aren’t entitled to a public defender, and can’t afford a lawyer, and the only rational response is to walk away from your property, because of the infeasibility of getting your money back.” In 2011, he reports, fifty-eight local, county, and statewide police forces in Georgia brought in $2.76 million in forfeitures; more than half the items taken were worth less than six hundred and fifty dollars. With minimal oversight, police can then spend nearly all those proceeds, often without reporting where the money has gone.

“When you allow the profit incentive, that’s when you start getting problems,” Porter said. “It’s like the difference between serving in the Army and working for Blackwater.” The Blackwater model wasn’t endemic just in Tenaha. In Oklahoma, a Caddo County district attorney hired a private company, Desert Snow L.L.C., to train a local drug-interdiction task force. Although the company’s contractors were not certified law officers, they reportedly interrogated drivers and took up to twenty-five per cent of the seized cash, even in cases where no contraband was present. Last month, after a county judge denounced the contractors’ role as “shocking,” the district attorney suspended the practice."

The State should be able to enforce the necessary law however it needs to do that. And loss of vehicle or whatever is a perfectly reasonable course of action for those using said vehicle in commission of a felony--not for such minor things as traffic violations or missing license tag or tail light or whatever.

HOWEVER, because of the high incentive/temptation to overstep authority for the PURPOSE of profiting via confiscation, the law should also include a provision that the state cannot keep the confiscated property or profit from it in any way--it MUST be donated to a private charity or other worthy causes or some such.

An ounce of prevention to ensure integrity and all that.

Having said that I think there is something else that should be iron clad in the law at the federal, state, and local levels. IF law enforcement impounds or confiscates property in a case of mistaken identity or via other error, and the citizen is cleared of those charges, the state MUST make full restitution to the citizen for any injury or economic damage he or she has incurred.

I remember well the case of a guy who ran a small commercial fishing boat that was detained and impounded by the DEA on charges that he was drug trafficing. The fish in the holding tanks of course died and rotted and the ship, unmaintained for a year, deteroriated beyond repair. And when the citizen was finally exhonerated from all offenses, his credit was destroyed, his reputation sullied, and he had essentially lost the means of making a living. And he had no recourse of any kind to recover anything from the federal government.

This kind of thing should never happen in America, and unfortunately it happens a lot.

Hi , I live in North Port, Fl and last week my husband was pulled over for a slightly obscured tag. He was given a ticket and was robbed of $350 dollars. He was given a choice of having his truck seized or the loss of all his money. The police in this small town are out of control. They make up their own rules as they go along. It's sad when you can honestly say that you fear the cops more than a criminal. Susie

Hi , I live in North Port, Fl and last week my husband was pulled over for a slightly obscured tag. He was given a ticket and was robbed of $350 dollars. He was given a choice of having his truck seized or the loss of all his money. The police in this small town are out of control. They make up their own rules as they go along. It's sad when you can honestly say that you fear the cops more than a criminal. Susie

I was harassed for 6 years during a certain tenure of a Sheriff.

Forum List

Back