Leftists throw a fit over President Trump calling Mar A Lago "Southern White House"

Marjorie Post, Post Cereal heiress wanted it to become the Winter White House and she willed it to the National Park Service........here's the story.

Mar-a-Lago
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Mar-A-Lago)
This article is about the house and resort. For Swiss village, see Miralago.
Mar-a-Lago National Historic Landmark
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
U.S. National Historic Landmark

Mar-a-Lago, Marjorie Merriweather Post's estate on Palm Beach Island

7px-Red_pog.svg.png

Location 1100 S. Ocean Blvd., Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
26°40′37″N80°02′13″WCoordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
26°40′37″N 80°02′13″W
Area 110,000 sq ft (10,000 m2)[1]
Built 1924–1927
Architect
NRHP reference # 80000961
Significant dates
Added to NRHP
December 23, 1980[2]
Designated NHL December 23, 1980[3]
Mar-a-Lago (/ˌmɑːrəˈlɑːɡoʊ/) is a resort and National Historic Landmark in Palm Beach, Florida, built from 1924 to 1927 by cereal-company heiress and socialite Marjorie Merriweather Post. The 126-room, 62,500-square-foot (5,800 m²)[4][better source needed] house contains the Mar-a-Lago Club, a members-only club with guest rooms, a spa, and other hotel-style amenities. It is located on the Palm Beach barrier island, with the Atlantic Ocean to the east and Florida’s Intracoastal Waterway to the west.

At the time of her death in 1973, Post bequeathed the property to the National Park Service, hoping it could be used for state visits or as a Winter White House. However, because the costs of maintaining the property exceeded the funds provided by Post, and it was difficult to secure the facility (as it is located in the flight path of Palm Beach Airport), the property was returned to the Post Foundation by an Act of Congress in 1981.[5]

In 1985, Mar-a-Lago was purchased by Donald Trump.[6] His wife at the time, Ivana Trump, was charged with running the property.[7] Trump retained Mar-a-Lago through both of his divorces. His family maintains private quarters in a separate, closed-off area of the house and grounds.[8] Trump has frequently visited there since he was elected president,[9] referring to it as the Winter White House and his "Southern White House". It is the second largest mansion in the state of Florida and the 20th largest mansion in the United States.

Mar-a-Lago - Wikipedia

What is your point?

Trump using his presidency to promote his PERSONAL PROPERTY, FOR PERSONAL FINANCIAL GAIN is highly unethical. Nothing about some other private person promoting this property changes that.

Had President Trump liquidated his ownership in the property, or at very least put it into a blind trust there would not be these ethical problems. But of course Trump doesn't give a shit about ethics, which is why his head of Ethics Office resigned.

What kind of an idiot would liquidate his assets in order to hold political office, and where is the law requiring it?

Marjorie Post, Post Cereal heiress wanted it to become the Winter White House and she willed it to the National Park Service........here's the story.

Mar-a-Lago

7px-Red_pog.svg.png

Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
17px-WMA_button2b.png
26°40′37″N 80°02′13″W
Built 1924–1927
Architect
Significant dates
Added to NRHP
December 23, 1980[2]
Mar-a-Lago (/ˌmɑːrəˈlɑːɡoʊ/) is a resort and National Historic Landmark in Palm Beach, Florida, built from 1924 to 1927 by cereal-company heiress and socialite Marjorie Merriweather Post. The 126-room, 62,500-square-foot (5,800 m²)[4][better source needed] house contains the Mar-a-Lago Club, a members-only club with guest rooms, a spa, and other hotel-style amenities. It is located on the Palm Beach barrier island, with the Atlantic Ocean to the east and Florida’s Intracoastal Waterway to the west.

At the time of her death in 1973, Post bequeathed the property to the National Park Service, hoping it could be used for state visits or as a Winter White House. However, because the costs of maintaining the property exceeded the funds provided by Post, and it was difficult to secure the facility (as it is located in the flight path of Palm Beach Airport), the property was returned to the Post Foundation by an Act of Congress in 1981.[5]

In 1985, Mar-a-Lago was purchased by Donald Trump.[6] His wife at the time, Ivana Trump, was charged with running the property.[7] Trump retained Mar-a-Lago through both of his divorces. His family maintains private quarters in a separate, closed-off area of the house and grounds.[8] Trump has frequently visited there since he was elected president,[9] referring to it as the Winter White House and his "Southern White House". It is the second largest mansion in the state of Florida and the 20th largest mansion in the United States.

Mar-a-Lago - Wikipedia

What is your point?

Trump using his presidency to promote his PERSONAL PROPERTY, FOR PERSONAL FINANCIAL GAIN is highly unethical. Nothing about some other private person promoting this property changes that.

Had President Trump liquidated his ownership in the property, or at very least put it into a blind trust there would not be these ethical problems. But of course Trump doesn't give a shit about ethics, which is why his head of Ethics Office resigned.

What kind of an idiot would liquidate his assets in order to hold political office, and where is the law requiring it?

What kind of idiot thinks that behaving ethically is for idiots?

Beyond just ethics there is ALSO a law:

Emoluments Clause
Also known as the Title of Nobility Clause, Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the U.S. Constitution prohibits any person holding a government office from accepting any present, emolument, office, or title from any "King, Prince, or foreign State," without congressional consent. This clause is meant to prevent external influence and corruption of American officers by foreign States. A similar provision was included in the Articles of Confederation, applicable to both federal and state officers.

Emoluments Clause

American Presidents wield great power and correspondingly great legal and ethical responsibilities to this country. If Trump just cannot help himself from accepting tons of money from foreign governments through his owned business then maybe he is simply unfit for this job.

Last edited:
I guess you have no problem wh trump violating law by commercializing the office of the president.
the left had no problem with obama weaponizing it.

What the hell does that mean?
nothing to you. go back to your premeditated anger and pretend all the worlds problems someone else caused.

No seriously, what did Obama "weaponize" and why did his amazing weapons not stop Trump from becoming a president?

Mar-a-Lago

7px-Red_pog.svg.png

Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
17px-WMA_button2b.png
26°40′37″N 80°02′13″W
Built 1924–1927
Architect
Significant dates
Added to NRHP
December 23, 1980[2]

Mar-a-Lago - Wikipedia

What is your point?

"For Christ’s sake, you people made me get rid of my peanut farm before you let me be president.

I grew up on that farm. When my father died, I moved back home and worked those fields with my own two hands to keep it afloat. It was a hard job, but it was so rewarding. It wasn’t just a business—it was the place I called home. Letting go of the family farm was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, but I did it because the American people asked me to. I did it for their sake, without enthusiasm, but also without hesitation.

Boy, times sure have changed, haven’t they? I couldn’t help but notice that the current occupant of the White House owns more than 500 companies, has business interests across the Middle East and Asia, and owes hundreds of millions of dollars to banks he is now responsible for regulating. It seems a touch unfair that a bigger fuss was made about my little peanut operation than all his office towers, hotels, and golf courses combined. All I had was a farm, you know? A small, precious farm.

Seriously, it was just a few fields and a warehouse, and you idiots still appointed a special prosecutor and spent six months investigating it.

Not a day goes by when I don’t think about what life would be like if I still had my peanut farm. I miss it so much. I miss feeling the sun on my face. I miss the earth in my hands. Sometimes, I’d go out to the fields before dawn. I’d watch the sun come up, watch it cast golden light on my plants, row by row. It was so calm; so quiet. Those were some of the best days of my life. It sure would’ve been nice to live out the rest of my years there, but I had to do what was right. I suppose only some of us have to.

God, I loved that peanut farm!

https://www.theonion.com/you-people-made-me-give-up-my-peanut-farm-before-i-got-1819585048

Yes that Onion.

LOL. Happy Monday.

I guess you have no problem wh trump violating law by commercializing the office of the president.
the left had no problem with obama weaponizing it.

What the hell does that mean?
nothing to you. go back to your premeditated anger and pretend all the worlds problems someone else caused.

No seriously, what did Obama "weaponize" and why did his amazing weapons not stop Trump from becoming a president?

All part of his plan to install Sharia law in America.

Tweeters Furious Over Trump Calling Mar-a-Lago The 'Southern White House'

LMAO! Just when you think they couldn't find something dumber to whine about.

If you were smart enough to realise that it costs the Americant taxpayer millions per trip down to the Southern White House you might complain too--:auiqs.jpg:

"A trip to Mar-a-Lago costs taxpayers approximately $3.6 million, according to a Government Accountability Office report," the website says. Between Secret Service and police surrounding the estate, and the U.S. Coast Guard in the surrounding waters, Mar-a-Lago is a fortress when the president is here. The White House won’t disclose the exact cost of Mr. Trump’s visits.
How much do Trump's trips to Mar-a-Lago cost?

I think he's been down to Mar-a-Lago about 20 times in his first year. Could be more. He refuses to go to Camp David--(which is already secure for Presidents and their families) that's not poooosh enough for him.
1asack022317.jpg

Trump has already outspent Obama's 8 year travel budget.
Trump Set to Outspend 8 Years of Obama's Travel Within the Year

Then there's nothing like that Aspen, Colorado skiing trips the Trump kids went on with a 100 security agents with them.
rndr_782x440.jpg

According to The Aspen Times, the Trump family arrived in Aspen with a cohort of Secret Service agents for their protection. A recent report by The Aspen Times found the Secret Service signed a contract for more than $12,000 for ski equipment rentals and clothing for the duration of the Trump family vacation."
Trump Family Under Fire For Aspen Ski Trip (Photos)
Now just imagine the cost with lodging, food & ski lift tickets for a 100 security agents--LOL

Then of course we're paying for the Trump Jr.'s to fly all over the world to expand the Trump empire. Like that new golf course they just opened up in Dubai.
Trump sons open Dubai golf club as namesake now US president
In a month, the Trump family has cost taxpayers almost as much as the Obamas did in a year

Hell, no wonder they're all working for FREE. Trump spends more in one single weekend than the yearly Presidential salary of $550K-- You Fiscal.....conservatives you--:eek2:

Nothing comparatively to the amount of money the Obama's blew.

Yeah right---:auiqs.jpg:

Mar-a-Lago

7px-Red_pog.svg.png

Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
17px-WMA_button2b.png
26°40′37″N 80°02′13″W
Built 1924–1927
Architect
Significant dates
Added to NRHP
December 23, 1980[2]

Mar-a-Lago - Wikipedia

What is your point?

Emoluments Clause
Also known as the Title of Nobility Clause, Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the U.S. Constitution prohibits any person holding a government office from accepting any present, emolument, office, or title from any "King, Prince, or foreign State," without congressional consent. This clause is meant to prevent external influence and corruption of American officers by foreign States. A similar provision was included in the Articles of Confederation, applicable to both federal and state officers.

Emoluments Clause

American Presidents wield great power and correspondingly great legal and ethical responsibilities to this country. If Trump just cannot help himself from accepting tons of money from foreign governments through his owned business then maybe he is simply unfit for this job.

And, as we all know, Trump is not currently in control of his assets.

Why Trump Won't Use A Blind Trust And What His Predecessors Did With Their Assets

Kennedy's Wealth Exceeded Tens of Millions

Mar-a-Lago

7px-Red_pog.svg.png

Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
17px-WMA_button2b.png
26°40′37″N 80°02′13″W
Built 1924–1927
Architect
Significant dates
Added to NRHP
December 23, 1980[2]

Mar-a-Lago - Wikipedia

What is your point?

Emoluments Clause

Emoluments Clause

And, as we all know, Trump is not currently in control of his assets.

Why Trump Won't Use A Blind Trust And What His Predecessors Did With Their Assets

Kennedy's Wealth Exceeded Tens of Millions

:rofl:

good one

First, it implies he is working when he is there & not golfing & hanging out with club members. It seems to really dupe his feeble minded base.

Second, it makes make for his club. Trump has raked in millions from his visits & parades around foreign dignitaries all to make money.

Only fool can't see it.,

But hey, he was NEVER going on vacation & he was NEVER going to play golf.

Right, jackass.

He does play a little fast & lose with his property's, but I prefer to keep a closer watch on who is being hired that works for the betterment of those with wealth, and not for us who work or worked hard to obtain a middle class existence.

Dem Snowflake weirdos. What aren't they throwing hissy-fits over these days? They craaazy. :cuckoo:

If you were smart enough to realise that it costs the Americant taxpayer millions per trip down to the Southern White House you might complain too--:auiqs.jpg:

"A trip to Mar-a-Lago costs taxpayers approximately $3.6 million, according to a Government Accountability Office report," the website says. Between Secret Service and police surrounding the estate, and the U.S. Coast Guard in the surrounding waters, Mar-a-Lago is a fortress when the president is here. The White House won’t disclose the exact cost of Mr. Trump’s visits.
How much do Trump's trips to Mar-a-Lago cost?

I think he's been down to Mar-a-Lago about 20 times in his first year. Could be more. He refuses to go to Camp David--(which is already secure for Presidents and their families) that's not poooosh enough for him.
1asack022317.jpg

Trump has already outspent Obama's 8 year travel budget.
Trump Set to Outspend 8 Years of Obama's Travel Within the Year

Then there's nothing like that Aspen, Colorado skiing trips the Trump kids went on with a 100 security agents with them.
rndr_782x440.jpg

According to The Aspen Times, the Trump family arrived in Aspen with a cohort of Secret Service agents for their protection. A recent report by The Aspen Times found the Secret Service signed a contract for more than $12,000 for ski equipment rentals and clothing for the duration of the Trump family vacation."
Trump Family Under Fire For Aspen Ski Trip (Photos)
Now just imagine the cost with lodging, food & ski lift tickets for a 100 security agents--LOL

Then of course we're paying for the Trump Jr.'s to fly all over the world to expand the Trump empire. Like that new golf course they just opened up in Dubai.
Trump sons open Dubai golf club as namesake now US president
In a month, the Trump family has cost taxpayers almost as much as the Obamas did in a year

Hell, no wonder they're all working for FREE. Trump spends more in one single weekend than the yearly Presidential salary of $550K-- You Fiscal.....conservatives you--:eek2:
Nope. Still don't care! Oh and I am NOT a conservative.

Forum List

Back