Leftists have stopped teaching Algebra

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

Why? because there are too many white and Asian students taking Algebra.

And if that makes sense to you, chances are you might be a Joe Biden voter.

The district should design their curriculum to address the shortfall in the years BEFORE the algebra course is offered. It is the schools' problem if the black and hispanic kids are not given the proper opportunities to compete. It is a school failure--address the problem. Don't remove opportunity for education.

From the article in the OP:

"Over time you end up with lower-level math courses filled with black and Latino children, and high-level math classes with white and Asian children," said Manuel Fernandez, then-principal of Cambridge Street Upper School, in 2019. "Students internalize it — they believe the smart kids are the white kids. Our staff said we cannot continue to divide our students this way."

The funny thing is that’s an incredibly racist thing for the principal to say.

They should send to private school if the public schools cannot keep up and even offer the advanced classes, their kids require, while the schools become only suitable to underachievers, for whatever reason.

They should send to private school if the public schools cannot keep up and even offer the advanced classes, their kids require, while the schools become only suitable to underachievers, for whatever reason.
And provide vouchers for those private schools. If they do that, I think we would see immediate change in the way public schools are run. They want that funding.

But putting aside the race thing, I don’t see why ALL middle schoolers need to take algebra. For what?

Teach all kids the basic three R’s and then funnel kids toward whichever field they show an aptitude for.

Some people are not big on reading. Yeah, everyone needs to know how to read and how to write a coherent paragraph but beyond that…. Why are we forcing all the kids to read “classics” that (let’s face it) most of them find boring as shit? Why?

Trying to force your average 15 year old boy to read something like “Jane Eyre” is just fucking stupid.

So is forcing ALL kids to learn algebra.

Doesn't middle school go to 8th grade? How is algebra 1 in 8th grade "advanced math"?
I’ve always hated math, so I’m probably biased. But when is algebra ever necessary?

Again, it goes back to aptitude and vocational training. The kid is on an educational/vocational path toward some
kind of engineering? Great teach them algebra. Otherwise, why bother beyond standard arithmetic?

But putting aside the race thing, I don’t see why ALL middle schoolers need to take algebra. For what?

Teach all kids the basic three R’s and then funnel kids toward whichever field they show an aptitude for.

Some people are not big on reading. Yeah, everyone needs to know how to read and how to write a coherent paragraph but beyond that…. Why are we forcing all the kids to read “classics” that (let’s face it) most of them find boring as shit? Why?

Trying to force your average 15 year old boy to read something like “Jane Eyre” is just fucking stupid.

So is forcing ALL kids to learn algebra.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

three R’s
One of those Rs is (A)rithmetic. Algebra is as necessary as +.-,*, and /. It is basic problem solving
Why are we forcing all the kids to read “classics”
If children are never exposed to such things, how is it you figure they'll ever know. Didn't you say you're a paramedic? How would you find yourself in such a field if you had never been exposed to biology, anatomy or basic science, which BTW is not one of the 3 R's

How about when existing in the world?
My point is why are we spending so much energy on teaching ALL kids advanced math, or forcing them to read literature they find boring af, or how to parse a sentence or any number of things all people do not need in life.

I stand by my assertion that the only “universal” education, mandatory for all kids, should just be the basics. Beyond that, it should start to be geared strongly toward a specific vocation based on the kid’s aptitude and interests.

To that end, no, algebra is not necessary for all. Nor is being able to appreciate fine literature.

Chinese families that I know send their children to Chinese school after school where advanced subjects are taught as well as reading and writing Chinese.

A lower cost part time school to fill in the gaps is certainly doable.

Chinese families that I know send their children to Chinese school after school where advanced subjects are taught as well as reading and writing Chinese.

A lower cost part time school to fill in the gaps is certainly doable.
Got to be honest, if my parents had tried to force me to go to some part-time school *on top* of full time regular school, I would have raised some ruckus

Got to be honest, if my parents had tried to force me to go to some part-time school *on top* of full time regular school, I would have raised some ruckus
Oh that's in addition to music and art class. They don't call these moms Tiger Moms for nothing. My sister in law is a Chinese national. If their kids misbehave it's off to China and relatives.

Forum List

Back