Leave it to Chicago... trying to ban homemade lunches in school??

If we had that many children who were actually allergic to peanuts, wheat, eggs, or whatever else... we would have had kids dropping like flies in the 70's and 80's (and even before that).... These hypochondriac doctors, medical regulatory agencies, and stage production politicians have taken this wayyyyyy too far for years, and it just keeps getting worse

If we had that many children who were actually allergic to peanuts, wheat, eggs, or whatever else... we would have had kids dropping like flies in the 70's and 80's (and even before that).... These hypochondriac doctors, medical regulatory agencies, and stage production politicians have taken this wayyyyyy too far for years, and it just keeps getting worse

Funny, I read the article after I commented and surprisingly there is not one mention of food allergies which what I thought would be their rationale. Instead they are saying how much healthier the school lunch is! :lol: The pic actually has tater tots and that infamous orange government cheese product...

Funny, I read the article after I commented and surprisingly there is not one mention of food allergies which what I thought would be their rationale. Instead they are saying how much healthier the school lunch is! :lol: The pic actually has tater tots and that infamous orange government cheese product...

Yeah.. one misguided basis after another with them

Actually they did say that kids with allergies could bring their lunch in.
;)

Just more government reach "for our own good"......
:eusa_eh:

Big Agra strikes again.

The people who benefit from this are the Big Food companies. This is pure crony capitalism - and the big government nonsense we need to stop NOW.

;)

I was wondering which one of your anal puppets was going to point out that one sentence of the article did actually mention the word allergies in it. ;)

"Only students with allergies are allowed to bring a homemade lunch to school, the Chicago Tribune reports."

I thought perhaps their rationale would be that the kids with allergies may be exposed to a deadly peanut or something. :lol: And that turned out not to be the case...

;)

I was wondering which one of your anal puppets was going to point out that one sentence of the article did actually mention the word allergies in it. ;)

"Only students with allergies are allowed to bring a homemade lunch to school, the Chicago Tribune reports."

I thought perhaps their rationale would be that the kids with allergies may be exposed to a deadly peanut or something. :lol: And that turned out not to be the case...
Damn, Valerie....
"anal puppet"???
Really?!
You're the one that said "there is not one mention of food allergies".

I agreed with you on the absurdity of the rule.
I didn't mean for you to bring your fetishes in to the conversation.
:eusa_whistle:

;)

Damn, Valerie....
"anal puppet"???
Really?!
You're the one that said "there is not one mention of food allergies".

I agreed with you on the absurdity of the rule.
I didn't mean for you to bring your fetishes in to the conversation.
:eusa_whistle:

okey dokey whore teaser! :thup:

The public grade schools in my town are considering banning pb&j sandwiches.

totally lame

Let me guess. A handful of kids are allergic to peanuts so rather than the parents of those kids figuring out a solution, all the other kids who are perfectly ok eating peanuts have to change and cater to the allergic ones. BULLLLLLLshit on that.

Simply unreal. I know what the food looks like on the plates at the schools I teach at, not as bad as that picture. However, I wouldn't want to eat their weird burgers, slimy deli meats and unidentifiable cheese selections and that's in a high school. I'd estimate that 20-30% of the kids buy lunch at school, the rest brown bag or 'excuse me' green bag it.

Sitting in a consumer class the other day and they were talking about nutrition and lunches came up. Now the kids admitted that they have 'choices' they didn't in elementary school, problem is while they sounded good at orientation, the food sucks. So they save money, I'm guessing a lot of them get daily lunch money (3.50) from their folks, then make their own.

By far and away they make sandwiches, the boys often two. Many are vegetarian or watch the mean intake. Lots of whole wheat pitas and specialty rolls. They can add the condiments from school and pack veggies, meats, etc., separately from bread and they do. Still see lots of fruit rollups, fresh fruit, yogurt, and cottage cheese w/fruit. Quite a few pack salad, some in sizes that would feed a family of 4! They pack the salad dressing separately. Yes, there's the Fritos and Doritos, but not nearly as much as you'd think. Cookies tend to come in those 100 calorie packs.

I know my kids always packed their lunches or better yet, for them, got me to do so. Of course I did in grammar school. I don't eat the lunches at school as a teacher and yes, ours are less expensive than the cafeteria! I make my own. Now yes, teachers have microwave available, which means I don't have to go sandwich or salad, usually use some from the packed in freezer stuff.

I do remember that in grammar school it was important that lunches not be 'stinky', meaning no tuna or bananas, even if the kids loved them. Usually it was a sandwich of some roast or chicken or pork sliced on bread with condiments. As they got older sometimes it was soup or stew in thermos. An apple or peeled orange. Carrot discs or sticks-thin! Ranch dressing to dip. Chips/pretzels/goldfish and cookies. Sunny D or Gator Ade, depending on the kid. They would not drink the milk at school. One son for 2 years or so wanted milk with ice cubes in thermos-we did that. At some point it crossed into stinky category.

What they ate and what they threw away? I've no idea. But I know it was less than if they'd bought the slop at school.

I've said before, the schools tend to put the pop machines out of the way and they charge $1.60 now for those bottles with twist cap. Water and juices are $1.00. Few take the pop. Teachers do and the same bottle is .95 in lounge, so there you go. LOL!

Simply unreal. I know what the food looks like on the plates at the schools I teach at, not as bad as that picture. However, I wouldn't want to eat their weird burgers, slimy deli meats and unidentifiable cheese selections and that's in a high school. I'd estimate that 20-30% of the kids buy lunch at school, the rest brown bag or 'excuse me' green bag it.

Sitting in a consumer class the other day and they were talking about nutrition and lunches came up. Now the kids admitted that they have 'choices' they didn't in elementary school, problem is while they sounded good at orientation, the food sucks. So they save money, I'm guessing a lot of them get daily lunch money (3.50) from their folks, then make their own.

By far and away they make sandwiches, the boys often two. Many are vegetarian or watch the mean intake. Lots of whole wheat pitas and specialty rolls. They can add the condiments from school and pack veggies, meats, etc., separately from bread and they do. Still see lots of fruit rollups, fresh fruit, yogurt, and cottage cheese w/fruit. Quite a few pack salad, some in sizes that would feed a family of 4! They pack the salad dressing separately. Yes, there's the Fritos and Doritos, but not nearly as much as you'd think. Cookies tend to come in those 100 calorie packs.

I know my kids always packed their lunches or better yet, for them, got me to do so. Of course I did in grammar school. I don't eat the lunches at school as a teacher and yes, ours are less expensive than the cafeteria! I make my own. Now yes, teachers have microwave available, which means I don't have to go sandwich or salad, usually use some from the packed in freezer stuff.

I do remember that in grammar school it was important that lunches not be 'stinky', meaning no tuna or bananas, even if the kids loved them. Usually it was a sandwich of some roast or chicken or pork sliced on bread with condiments. As they got older sometimes it was soup or stew in thermos. An apple or peeled orange. Carrot discs or sticks-thin! Ranch dressing to dip. Chips/pretzels/goldfish and cookies. Sunny D or Gator Ade, depending on the kid. They would not drink the milk at school. One son for 2 years or so wanted milk with ice cubes in thermos-we did that. At some point it crossed into stinky category.

What they ate and what they threw away? I've no idea. But I know it was less than if they'd bought the slop at school.

I've said before, the schools tend to put the pop machines out of the way and they charge $1.60 now for those bottles with twist cap. Water and juices are $1.00. Few take the pop. Teachers do and the same bottle is .95 in lounge, so there you go. LOL!

yes and the salad bars are a total no go. plus with the new 'campaign' wait till bake sales are pretty much banned....

It would be a cold day in hell when some sissified "educator" tells me I can't send my son to school with a lunch. That's well beyond their authority. They are there to educate, not to parent.

This is the welfare nanny state of Chicago, though, so I'm not the least bit surprised. These people are used to having their lives run by the authoritarian government they continue to vote in so they are getting exactly what they deserve.

Forum List

Back