Progressives and Parental Rights.

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Chicago school bans some lunches brought from home

To encourage healthful eating, Chicago school doesn't allow kids to bring lunches or certain snacks from home — and some parents, and many students, aren't fans of the policy

1. "Who thinks the lunch is not good enough?" the seventh-grader shouted to his lunch mates in Spanish and English. Dozens of hands flew in the air and fellow students shouted along: "We should bring our own lunch! We should bring our own lunch! We should bring our own lunch!"

2. At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home.Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.

3. "While there is no formal policy, principals use common sense judgment based on their individual school environments," Monique Bond wrote in an email.

4. At Little Village, most students must take the meals served in the cafeteria or go hungry or both. During a recent visit to the school, dozens of students took the lunch but threw most of it in the garbage uneaten.

5. "This is such a fundamental infringement on parental responsibility," said J. Justin Wilson, a senior researcher at the Washington-based Center for Consumer Freedom, which is partially funded by the food industry.
School's food is the only option for some kids - chicagotribune.com

Dennis Prager's definition of liberalism:

Good Intentions plus Coercion equals Solution.

Can you deny it?

PoliticalChic, when your posts include your favorite bogeyman please have the integrity to post something a progressive would agree to. This is good old power, capitalism, free market, principals, and other assorted people of good and maybe not so good intentions trying to manage the world. Why are they progressives? Some like it, some don't and can we really trust the integrity of the authors or even the paper? This is local policy and parents can and should discuss it, but methinks this may just be a mountain out of a molehill.

"But parent Miguel Medina said he thinks the "no home lunch policy" is a good one. "The school food is very healthy," he said, "and when they bring the food from home, there is no control over the food."

At Claremont Academy Elementary School on the South Side, officials allow packed lunches but confiscate any snacks loaded with sugar or salt. (They often are returned after school.) Principal Rebecca Stinson said that though students may not like it, she has yet to hear a parent complain.

"The kids may have money or earn money and (buy junk food) without their parents' knowledge," Stinson said, adding that most parents expect that the school will look out for their children.

Such discussions over school lunches and healthy eating echo a larger national debate about the role government should play in individual food choices.

"This is such a fundamental infringement on parental responsibility," said J. Justin Wilson, a senior researcher at the Washington-based Center for Consumer Freedom, which is partially funded by the food industry."

If a parent doesn't qualify for their child to receive free lunch, then it's their choice what to purchase for their child's lunch. Encouraging healthy choices is fine, but mandating it is another thing IMO.

Chicago school bans some lunches brought from home

To encourage healthful eating, Chicago school doesn't allow kids to bring lunches or certain snacks from home — and some parents, and many students, aren't fans of the policy

1. "Who thinks the lunch is not good enough?" the seventh-grader shouted to his lunch mates in Spanish and English. Dozens of hands flew in the air and fellow students shouted along: "We should bring our own lunch! We should bring our own lunch! We should bring our own lunch!"

2. At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home.Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.

3. "While there is no formal policy, principals use common sense judgment based on their individual school environments," Monique Bond wrote in an email.

4. At Little Village, most students must take the meals served in the cafeteria or go hungry or both. During a recent visit to the school, dozens of students took the lunch but threw most of it in the garbage uneaten.

5. "This is such a fundamental infringement on parental responsibility," said J. Justin Wilson, a senior researcher at the Washington-based Center for Consumer Freedom, which is partially funded by the food industry.
School's food is the only option for some kids - chicagotribune.com

Dennis Prager's definition of liberalism:

Good Intentions plus Coercion equals Solution.

Can you deny it?

condition them early to take orders from government.
Government knows what's good for you. Your parents can't even feed you properly, how can they teach you how to not get knocked up?

etc, etc, etc

Isn't it odd how it took the kids to get pissed for this to make the news?

Ridiculous. The parents have the right to do something about it. I hope they do.

Glad we're on the same page here.

So, can I push the envelope?
Philosophically, how is this not a microcosm of ObamaCare?

Obamacare is like the school requiring that all kids either bring lunch or buy it, and penalizing the kids if they don't.

For the record, this school is being kinda ridiculous. I don't see this policy lasting more than a few weeks, if even that. Someone is getting hung out to dry.

But if you want to take the school lunch and healthcare analogy farther, what should have happened is that you make health insurance like the free lunch program: Namely if you can't afford it, we'll help you get it.

How is it the business of the school if a child brings a lunch from the home? what is this Communist Russia?

Illinois and specifically chicago have been run by dems for decades. The occasional rep that gets in is usually corrupt.

Everyone wants to control whatever they are responsible for. The more they control it, they more they can show a need to fund it.

If you can't bring lunch, you must buy lunch, thus the school needs more money to fund lunch, more money means better chance of fraud, a better chance of fraud..

well , I think you get it.

Ridiculous. The parents have the right to do something about it. I hope they do.

Because this kind of crap has been going on for quite a while...long before Obama was even president. Kids can't bring stuff to school for their b-day. Teachers can no longer have parties where parents send stuff. Soda machines are a thing of the past at school. My daughter's school can't even have fund raisers at dances selling soda and candy if the dance is right after school hours....and this stuff has been in place for at least 5 years now.

How is it the business of the school if a child brings a lunch from the home? what is this Communist Russia?

Illinois and specifically chicago have been run by dems for decades. The occasional rep that gets in is usually corrupt.

Everyone wants to control whatever they are responsible for. The more they control it, they more they can show a need to fund it.

If you can't bring lunch, you must buy lunch, thus the school needs more money to fund lunch, more money means better chance of fraud, a better chance of fraud..

Still ridiculous, when I was little and when I looked at the menu for lunch during the week and saw something I didn't like, I'd have my mom make me a packed lunch. Shit in high school most people either bought something from the pizza truck or went to the numerous fast food places near my school like Taco Bell, White Castle, Churchs Chicken, KFC, Burger King etc etc no one really ate in the cafeteria if they had any other options.

this is more a reflection of Michelle-0-care.

We warned that her idea would have to be forced on us and tada, here is the force.

Since when the hell is it the government's job to dictate what I can or cannot send in with my kid for lunch? Who they hell are they to tell me I can't send in cookies or chips or carrot sticks or a pb&j sammie? I call bullshit on this thing and if my kid went to that school you can rest assured I'd be doing something about it. Indeed, I would raise quite a ruckus.

Still ridiculous, when I was little and when I looked at the menu for lunch during the week and saw something I didn't like, I'd have my mom make me a packed lunch. Shit in high school most people either bought something from the pizza truck or went to the numerous fast food places near my school like Taco Bell, White Castle, Churchs Chicken, KFC, Burger King etc etc no one really ate in the cafeteria if they had any other options.

tru dat

My parents got to eat the food at my grade school once. All of a sudden I'm brown bagging it daily.

I couldn't fathom "having' to eat in the caf every stinking day.

Because this kind of crap has been going on for quite a while...long before Obama was even president. Kids can't bring stuff to school for their b-day. Teachers can no longer have parties where parents send stuff. Soda machines are a thing of the past at school. My daughter's school can't even have fund raisers at dances selling soda and candy if the dance is right after school hours....and this stuff has been in place for at least 5 years now.

Those are areas in which the school is free to exert their authority, but telling parents what to pack for their child's individual consumption should not be determined by the school administration. As a former first grade teacher, I would ASK my parents to please provide healthy afternoon snacks in my welcoming newsletter. However, if they ended up sending chips or a nutty bar, I would never have over stepped my bounds and told them it was unacceptable.

What you're talking about though is more a symptom of corruption than a symptom of Democrats in Charge, or vice versa. The GOP is no more immune to it than the DNC. I live in Louisiana, and it is a Red State Wonderland, i.e., everyone is a Republican as far as the eye can see. And we still have massive amounts of corruption.

Ohio, ditto. Much of the state is GOP ran now and much of it is as corrupt as all get out. In Illinios they're changing party control of the Governor's Office every 4-6 years, and you still see the Governors go to jail on a regular basis.

Once corruption gets a root in, it's really hard to weed out.

tru dat

My parents got to eat the food at my grade school once. All of a sudden I'm brown bagging it daily.

I did, but then again, lunch was sometimes an optional meal in the summer time. The free lunch program is doing a pretty good job keeping some kids from starving.

tru dat

I did, but then again, lunch was sometimes an optional meal in the summer time. The free lunch program is doing a pretty good job keeping some kids from starving.

No, it's not.

No one starved before it and no one will starve after it's gone.

Why?

B/c the people that get free lunch also get welfare and food money. There's more than enough given for any responsible person to be able to make sure thier kids don't miss a meal.

PoliticalChic, when your posts include your favorite bogeyman please have the integrity to post something a progressive would agree to. This is good old power, capitalism, free market, principals, and other assorted people of good and maybe not so good intentions trying to manage the world. Why are they progressives? Some like it, some don't and can we really trust the integrity of the authors or even the paper? This is local policy and parents can and should discuss it, but methinks this may just be a mountain out of a molehill.

"But parent Miguel Medina said he thinks the "no home lunch policy" is a good one. "The school food is very healthy," he said, "and when they bring the food from home, there is no control over the food."

At Claremont Academy Elementary School on the South Side, officials allow packed lunches but confiscate any snacks loaded with sugar or salt. (They often are returned after school.) Principal Rebecca Stinson said that though students may not like it, she has yet to hear a parent complain.

"The kids may have money or earn money and (buy junk food) without their parents' knowledge," Stinson said, adding that most parents expect that the school will look out for their children.

Such discussions over school lunches and healthy eating echo a larger national debate about the role government should play in individual food choices.

"This is such a fundamental infringement on parental responsibility," said J. Justin Wilson, a senior researcher at the Washington-based Center for Consumer Freedom, which is partially funded by the food industry."

Next time you have the temerity to post, please have the integrity to admit to the all of the foibles of progressives, liberals, whatever you camoflage yourself as today.

"Why are they progressives? "

Who are you kidding? Totalists of all stripes believe in big government, command-and-control economic ideas, force and coercion...and the article in question is just one more typical example of same. Therefore, progressives.

But, the best news is that President Obama has made you guys look so bad that you are actually trying to hide from progressive ideologies! I love it!

Remember, the Brown Bomber said: 'You can run, but you can't hide!'
But try.

And, as history repeats itself,
a) Woodrow Wilson was so bad for the nation, that progressive John Dewey changed the name and they became 'liberals.'

b) Barack Obama was so poor a President, that liberals like Middy ran from the appellation! What's the new name going to be?

Well, running or hiding? Merely denying?

tru dat

No, it's not.

No one starved before it and no one will starve after it's gone.

Why?

B/c the people that get free lunch also get welfare and food money. There's more than enough given for any responsible person to be able to make sure thier kids don't miss a meal.

That welfare doesn't always go to food and you can trade moneys off your EBT cards for cash and drugs if you want, alot of people do it.

Forum List

Back