Teacher threatens lawsuit against student who complains about grades

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
What the fuck?

It's nothing new for students to complain about their grades, but when a Bassett High School senior recently claimed she was graded unfairly in her yearbook class, a law firm representing that school's teachers threatened her with a lawsuit.
Monserrat Ramirez, 18, of Bassett, first complained to her teacher about her grade; then she complained to school administrators; then, on March 2, she took her complaint to the Bassett Unified school board.
It was that final action that got her a letter from a law firm representing the teacher calling her complaints to the school board "actionable slander" and advising her to refrain from making further comments to "avoid costly litigation."
"I was going to give up as soon as I saw that," Ramirez said. But Ramirez didn't give up. She said Joe Medina, former Torch Middle School principal, encouraged her to stand up for herself.
Teacher threatens Bassett student with lawsuit for complaining about grade - SGVTribune.com

Last edited:
There is a silver lining to this story:

"(A)lthough I stayed in class and did my assigned pages ... I still received a grade similar to the students who got away with doing nothing," she said.

She'll never join the Democrat Party now. :thup:

As a teacher, I have a bias. But we don't know what kind of "slander" she has been accused of. The kid sounds like a lunatic. She had 8 or 9 meetings with the principal BEFORE she went to the school board? He's not changing the grade. End of story. And if she thinks she can get away with bullying him to do so, she may have to suffer the consequences. Changing grades for students who bitch the loudest could set a very dangerous precedent.

I understand the teacher and the reasoning.

On the other hand, reading the article it seems to be a problem of 'group work.' I loathed 'cooperative groups' as a student in high school, in college, and in post grad work. Now in all honest, the post grad group wasn't bad, but I like to do my own work, I want too have the whole picture. I never seem to get that with a group, no matter how good the final paper and presentation.

Now practicality says that cooperative groups are necessary in today's environment. I apply them in nearly every chapter lesson plan at some point. However, I break the rubrics down to 'group work and role', 'individual work and role,' 'presentation and role.' The final project must indicate who did what and the students know they will be graded for their work. Group work in class is graded by the group and by myself-2 grades. The individual grades are weighted more heavily than the group grades.

There's no way that an A student would get a C+ if they worked normally in my class. Students know that they must bring 'group concerns' to me at the get go when they arise, not in the week before presentation. If the whole grade was dependent on group work, which yearbook would be, grading procedure would be emphasized.

She has the right to complain and be heard. But she does not have the right to slander the teacher.

Imagine if he caved and changed the grade. Would he then have to change all the student's grades? What about the students that have already graduated? Should they have their "permanent records" changed? Very, very slippery slope. Project grading with cooperative groups is subjective. Subjective grading is not a perfect science. Oh well.

As a teacher, I have a bias. But we don't know what kind of "slander" she has been accused of. The kid sounds like a lunatic. She had 8 or 9 meetings with the principal BEFORE she went to the school board? He's not changing the grade. End of story. And if she thinks she can get away with bullying him to do so, she may have to suffer the consequences. Changing grades for students who bitch the loudest could set a very dangerous precedent.

The teacher has to leave the school sometime.

Once out in public, oh well....

"(A)lthough I stayed in class and did my assigned pages ... I still received a grade similar to the students who got away with doing nothing," she said.

Sounds like she got a taste of how the real world works.

And what the hell is a yearbook class anyway??

She has the right to complain and be heard. But she does not have the right to slander the teacher.

Imagine if he caved and changed the grade. Would he then have to change all the student's grades? What about the students that have already graduated? Should they have their "permanent records" changed? Very, very slippery slope. Project grading with cooperative groups is subjective. Subjective grading is not a perfect science. Oh well.

The principle, who probably has both sides of the story, encouraged her to make her case to the school board. I am reasonably confident that, if he thought the her argument actually was slander, he would not have done so. This sounds more like a SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) suit than slander.

The principle, who probably has both sides of the story, encouraged her to make her case to the school board. I am reasonably confident that, if he thought the her argument actually was slander, he would not have done so. This sounds more like a SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) suit than slander.
that's not true. the principal mentioned in the article was a former middle school principal. he could have been a former astronaut and mushroom farmer and he'd have as much relevance to the story.

Did anyone read any of the student's comments on the article? She got caught using the faculty copier and got a dirty look from the teacher and was questioned by his wife. Any teacher would have the same conversation if any student was using the copier. In fact in my building, it would be a hell of a lot more than a dirty look.
She then very impolitely tells me the following accusation and questions, “How many copies are you making?” which I then replied,”I’m sorry I truly don’t feel comfortable speaking to you or (the year book teacher name) and I have the right to not do so, I am sorry” she then said,” I’m asking you a simple question” then I began to feel intimidated and scared

It is obvious she only wanted to intimidate me and to scare me.

Also, I believe that the copy machine is there for us the students to use

Class grading as group project is actually illegal in the United Stated for what I have been told

Ah. Sounds to me like Ms. Ramirez is the one looking for a lawsuit. I wonder who has been coaching her.

Did anyone read any of the student's comments on the article? She got caught using the faculty copier and got a dirty look from the teacher and was questioned by his wife. Any teacher would have the same conversation if any student was using the copier. In fact in my building, it would be a hell of a lot more than a dirty look.
She then very impolitely tells me the following accusation and questions, “How many copies are you making?” which I then replied,”I’m sorry I truly don’t feel comfortable speaking to you or (the year book teacher name) and I have the right to not do so, I am sorry” she then said,” I’m asking you a simple question” then I began to feel intimidated and scared

It is obvious she only wanted to intimidate me and to scare me.

Also, I believe that the copy machine is there for us the students to use

Class grading as group project is actually illegal in the United Stated for what I have been told

Ah. Sounds to me like Ms. Ramirez is the one looking for a lawsuit. I wonder who has been coaching her.

Sounds to me like some 18 year olds should learn how to construct a sentence. :lol::lol:

Forum List

Back