Leave it to Chicago... trying to ban homemade lunches in school??

people just can't help but complain about schools. granted, i think this is a bit extreme, but at the same time we task the schools with educating kids - and then we expect the schools to allow the parents to undermine and sabotage the effort at every turn.

i guess i'm just lost as to why it's so damn important for kids to bring their lunches to school.

I am to be at the mercy of what the school system has on the menu?? Poorer quality food?? Or the fact that it is my damn kid and not the school system's???

Jeez.. what an idiot

Yeah, let's make kids eat food that was cooked at 5am and kept warm and sent by truck to the various schools and make them pay for that crap as well. The ONLY way this would work is if they give free lunches to EVERYBODY, and I'd still object. I remember trying the schools Pizza when my son was in elementary school. I wouldn't have fed it to my dog.

cost is not an obstacle. nobody anywhere is going to beat the cost to the student of a school lunch.

and you may not have fed your son or your dog the pizza, but i can guarantee you that you did feed them many other meals that were not as nutritionally balanced.

and if i'm a school administrator tasked with educating your kid i care more about whether or not he's got the proper nutrition to be alert and awake during class than i care about the satisfaction of his culinary palette.

Now I KNOW you are a young idiot that knows nothing about this...

You think I can't make my child a better lunch for less than $2.50?? You're a damn moron.. I do that EVERY day I have my kids.. with a quality sandwich with better meat and healthier bread, FRESH fruit, a non-fatty snack, and 100% juice...

people just can't help but complain about schools. granted, i think this is a bit extreme, but at the same time we task the schools with educating kids - and then we expect the schools to allow the parents to undermine and sabotage the effort at every turn.

i guess i'm just lost as to why it's so damn important for kids to bring their lunches to school.

For starters - as they mentioned in the article, which you apparently didn't read - it costs a lot less to make lunches than it does to buy them in the cafeteria at $2.25 a day.

Mostly, it's just the idea that the schools are moving farther and farther away from educating and into parenting. That's MY kid; who the fuck are THEY to tell me what I can and can't feed him? Where do they get off just automatically assuming THEY know better than I do?

How long's it going to be before we wake to find ourselves in "Brave New World", with all our kids being raised in state-run creches, to protect them from the toxic influence of parents altogether?

Parents should have the freedom to feed their own children, absolutely... School lunch dictates of today are subject to political change tomorrow, such as a packet of ketchup equals a vegetable and the like...
they can feed them whatever they like - at home.

i have absolutely no problem with a school that has been tasked with teaching kids ensuring those kids have at least one nutritious meal a day. and until and unless the school starts trying to pass ketchup off as a vegetable i'll side with them taking the steps necessary to make sure their students are at their most able to learn.

Well, it's very generous of you to give parents one place you'll still "allow" them to be in charge. Just one problem with that: it's none of your frigging business. You want to come into MY family and start issuing edicts about how I can and can't raise my kids, your sorry ass had better be prepared to start coughing up some child support checks.

Last edited:
Yeah, let's make kids eat food that was cooked at 5am and kept warm and sent by truck to the various schools and make them pay for that crap as well. The ONLY way this would work is if they give free lunches to EVERYBODY, and I'd still object. I remember trying the schools Pizza when my son was in elementary school. I wouldn't have fed it to my dog.

cost is not an obstacle. nobody anywhere is going to beat the cost to the student of a school lunch.

and you may not have fed your son or your dog the pizza, but i can guarantee you that you did feed them many other meals that were not as nutritionally balanced.

and if i'm a school administrator tasked with educating your kid i care more about whether or not he's got the proper nutrition to be alert and awake during class than i care about the satisfaction of his culinary palette.

You clearly don't have children, and don't grocery shop, ass hat.

$2.25 a day, multiplied by 5 days, is $11.25 a week. Can I provide five nutritious bag lunches for less than that? If I can't, I need to hang up my apron and give June Cleaver a call. :eusa_hand:

Furthermore, you need to get over this "tasked to educate" bullshit, as though it gives you carte blanche to barge into people's families and take over. Educate does NOT mean parent. You teach my kid to read and do math. You DON'T play Chairman of the Board and tell ME how to feed him.

And I got news for you, dipshit. You DON'T "care more" about ANYTHING in regards to my children than I do. NOT ONE THING. Get the fuck over yourself.

$2.25 a day, multiplied by 5 days, is $11.25 a week. Can I provide five nutritious bag lunches for less than that? If I can't, I need to hang up my apron and give June Cleaver a call. :eusa_hand:

Furthermore, you need to get over this "tasked to educate" bullshit, as though it gives you carte blanche to barge into people's families and take over. Educate does NOT mean parent. You teach my kid to read and do math. You DON'T play Chairman of the Board and tell ME how to feed him.

And I got news for you, dipshit. You DON'T "care more" about ANYTHING in regards to my children than I do. NOT ONE THING. Get the fuck over yourself.

There is absolutely ZERO rebuttal to this post
:clap2:

They don't eat the lunches, they throw most of them away....

A sandwich, veg sticks, and juice makes a better lunch than they serve.

Those lovely insulated lunch bags with a Thermos in them are a mom's best friend, I tell you. REALLY expands the options on what you can send your kids, because you don't have to worry so much about it getting hot or spoiling.

When my daughter was still at home, I liked to fill the Thermos with homemade chicken stew in the winter. Pop in a juice box and a slice of angel-food cake, and you've got a happy, full kid.

Starting when I was 9 years old, it was my job to make the lunches for my siblings and I for school. When I first started, I had three lunches to make; three years later, it was five lunches each school day. The typical lunch was PB&J sammich, an apple, and a couple of homemade cookies (also made by me). Once in awhile, we had a special treat of chips. And tucked into the bag, was the money to buy milk.

AND WE ALL LIVED!!!! Imagine that.

Parents should have the freedom to feed their own children, absolutely... School lunch dictates of today are subject to political change tomorrow, such as a packet of ketchup equals a vegetable and the like...

i have absolutely no problem with a school that has been tasked with teaching kids ensuring those kids have at least one nutritious meal a day. and until and unless the school starts trying to pass ketchup off as a vegetable i'll side with them taking the steps necessary to make sure their students are at their most able to learn.

If this is your idea of a nutritious meal your education was a total waste of taxpayer money.

AP100930089436.jpg

Apparently we read different stories.

The cost of the school lunch is $2.25, and they get food like this.
60805905.jpg

A good sandwich and an apple is a better lunch, and I can put that together for less than $2.25.

Last edited:

Apparently we read different stories.

The cost of the school lunch is $2.25, and they get food like this.
60805905.jpg

A good sandwich and an apple is a better lunch, and I can put that together for less than $2.25.

In this day and age, when you can get Thermoses and those little reusable ice packs, it's a no-brainer to pack a lunch that's both healthier AND cheaper than the cafeteria's providing.

So what happens when the parents fall between being eligible to get in the free lunch program but spending $45 bucks per child is cost prohibitive? Are they just going to send the kids to school with nothing?

AND if what they are serving costs $2.25 to produce they got some bad food management going on in that schools system.

So what happens when the parents fall between being eligible to get in the free lunch program but spending $45 bucks per child is cost prohibitive? Are they just going to send the kids to school with nothing?

AND if what they are serving costs $2.25 to produce they got some bad food management going on in that schools system.

I doubt it costs $2.25 to produce, but SOMEONE has to pay for all those free and reduced lunches they're giving out. Not to mention the salaries and bennies they're giving the lunch ladies.

I doubt it costs $2.25 to produce, but SOMEONE has to pay for all those free and reduced lunches they're giving out. Not to mention the salaries and bennies they're giving the lunch ladies.

Got to love that union labor rate.

I am wondering how what is being given for lunch measures up to prison food. I am thinking its about the same or less.

Last edited:

Got to love that union labor rate.

I am wondering how what is being given for lunch measures up to prison food. I am thinking its about the same or less.

I dunno about Illinois' prisons. In Arizona, inmates get a bag lunch. :eusa_angel:

Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight - Yahoo! News

We all know Chicago politics/government is ridiculous.... but they are going further and further off the deep end

From your link it's proof liberals hate kids and want to starve them

Students who attend Chicago's Little Village Academy public school get nothing but nutritional tough love during their lunch period each day. The students can either eat the cafeteria food--or go hungry. Only students with allergies are allowed to bring a homemade lunch to school, the Chicago Tribune reports.

If this is your idea of a nutritious meal your education was a total waste of taxpayer money.

AP100930089436.jpg

Processed potatos ( tater tots) are good for you?

The kids don't eat the lunches provided by the school, so they are getting 0 nutrition and that leads to bad grades.

AP100930089436.jpg

Processed potatos ( tater tots) are good for you?

Looking at that pic, it's not just those crappy tater tots that are bad for you, the processed cheese isn't, the 'flavored' milk isn't - milk yea, but adding shit that may (or may not) taste vaguely like strawberry certainly isn't, the processed bread isn't.... in fact, to me, there's only two things on that plate that might (and I mean MIGHT) be reasonably health are the carrots and the ham, without the bread.

I wouldn't want a kid of mine eating that crap.

Forum List

Back