Leave it to Chicago... trying to ban homemade lunches in school??

Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight - Yahoo! News

We all know Chicago politics/government is ridiculous.... but they are going further and further off the deep end

:lol: Everyone is so deathly afraid of a peanut butter sangwich these days...

its "sammich"..get it right;)

:dunno:

sangwich+sign.JPG

people just can't help but complain about schools. granted, i think this is a bit extreme, but at the same time we task the schools with educating kids - and then we expect the schools to allow the parents to undermine and sabotage the effort at every turn.

i guess i'm just lost as to why it's so damn important for kids to bring their lunches to school.

Well...whatever, aren't the rightwingloons saying government should be run like a business? You can't take your own popcorn to the movies.

This will only get worse as we tie teacher tenure and pay to test scores.

people just can't help but complain about schools. granted, i think this is a bit extreme, but at the same time we task the schools with educating kids - and then we expect the schools to allow the parents to undermine and sabotage the effort at every turn.

i guess i'm just lost as to why it's so damn important for kids to bring their lunches to school.

Parents should have the freedom to feed their own children, absolutely... School lunch dictates of today are subject to political change tomorrow, such as a packet of ketchup equals a vegetable and the like...

Parents should have the freedom to feed their own children, absolutely... School lunch dictates of today are subject to political change tomorrow, such as a packet of ketchup equals a vegetable and the like...
they can feed them whatever they like - at home.

i have absolutely no problem with a school that has been tasked with teaching kids ensuring those kids have at least one nutritious meal a day. and until and unless the school starts trying to pass ketchup off as a vegetable i'll side with them taking the steps necessary to make sure their students are at their most able to learn.

i have absolutely no problem with a school that has been tasked with teaching kids ensuring those kids have at least one nutritious meal a day. and until and unless the school starts trying to pass ketchup off as a vegetable i'll side with them taking the steps necessary to make sure their students are at their most able to learn.

Yeah, let's make kids eat food that was cooked at 5am and kept warm and sent by truck to the various schools and make them pay for that crap as well. The ONLY way this would work is if they give free lunches to EVERYBODY, and I'd still object. I remember trying the schools Pizza when my son was in elementary school. I wouldn't have fed it to my dog.

:lol: You must be young...

Did the Reagan-era USDA really classify ketchup as a vegetable?

The Straight Dope: Did the Reagan-era USDA really classify ketchup as a vegetable?

The ketchup as a vegetable controversy refers to a proposed United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Drug Administration directive, early in the administration of Ronald Reagan, that would have reclassified ketchup and pickle relish from condiments to vegetables, allowing public schools to cut out a serving of cooked or fresh vegetable from hot lunch program child-nutrition requirements. The White House Office of Management and Budget estimated a potential US $1 billion annual savings in the cost of subsidized meals for low-income students.

Release of the proposed directive for required public comment in September 1981 met with outrage from nutritionists and Democrats.[1] :eusa_eh: :lol:

Ketchup as a vegetable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, let's make kids eat food that was cooked at 5am and kept warm and sent by truck to the various schools and make them pay for that crap as well. The ONLY way this would work is if they give free lunches to EVERYBODY, and I'd still object. I remember trying the schools Pizza when my son was in elementary school. I wouldn't have fed it to my dog.

cost is not an obstacle. nobody anywhere is going to beat the cost to the student of a school lunch.

and you may not have fed your son or your dog the pizza, but i can guarantee you that you did feed them many other meals that were not as nutritionally balanced.

and if i'm a school administrator tasked with educating your kid i care more about whether or not he's got the proper nutrition to be alert and awake during class than i care about the satisfaction of his culinary palette.

Well...whatever, aren't the rightwingloons saying government should be run like a business? You can't take your own popcorn to the movies.

:wtf: Of course you can. Haven't you ever heard of a big purse?

What does this have to do with running government like a business?

How do you figure?

What does dictating what your child eats have to do with educating them? Educating is exactly what is not happening here. This grossly oversteps the bounds of the school's authority. They are not there to parent these children and you only find this a "bit" extreme?

How did you become such a sissified wimp that you would just hand over your parental rights to some government authority because they say so? What a parent sends their kid to school with to eat is none of the school's business and it isn't yours either. You can decide what you want your kids to eat and I'll make the decision for mine you pathetic sap.

cost is not an obstacle. nobody anywhere is going to beat the cost to the student of a school lunch.

and you may not have fed your son or your dog the pizza, but i can guarantee you that you did feed them many other meals that were not as nutritionally balanced.

and if i'm a school administrator tasked with educating your kid i care more about whether or not he's got the proper nutrition to be alert and awake during class than i care about the satisfaction of his culinary palette.

In other words, you're a fascist. We got it. No need to go on any further.

They don't eat the lunches, they throw most of them away....

A sandwich, veg sticks, and juice makes a better lunch than they serve.

In other words, you're a fascist. We got it. No need to go on any further.

Next thing you know we have a Gazillion dollar budget... For the children!

And yes cost is an obstacle. I spent a lot less on my son's sack lunches than the school lunches cost.

Simply unreal. I know what the food looks like on the plates at the schools I teach at, not as bad as that picture. However, I wouldn't want to eat their weird burgers, slimy deli meats and unidentifiable cheese selections and that's in a high school. I'd estimate that 20-30% of the kids buy lunch at school, the rest brown bag or 'excuse me' green bag it.

Sitting in a consumer class the other day and they were talking about nutrition and lunches came up. Now the kids admitted that they have 'choices' they didn't in elementary school, problem is while they sounded good at orientation, the food sucks. So they save money, I'm guessing a lot of them get daily lunch money (3.50) from their folks, then make their own.

By far and away they make sandwiches, the boys often two. Many are vegetarian or watch the mean intake. Lots of whole wheat pitas and specialty rolls. They can add the condiments from school and pack veggies, meats, etc., separately from bread and they do. Still see lots of fruit rollups, fresh fruit, yogurt, and cottage cheese w/fruit. Quite a few pack salad, some in sizes that would feed a family of 4! They pack the salad dressing separately. Yes, there's the Fritos and Doritos, but not nearly as much as you'd think. Cookies tend to come in those 100 calorie packs.

I know my kids always packed their lunches or better yet, for them, got me to do so. Of course I did in grammar school. I don't eat the lunches at school as a teacher and yes, ours are less expensive than the cafeteria! I make my own. Now yes, teachers have microwave available, which means I don't have to go sandwich or salad, usually use some from the packed in freezer stuff.

I do remember that in grammar school it was important that lunches not be 'stinky', meaning no tuna or bananas, even if the kids loved them. Usually it was a sandwich of some roast or chicken or pork sliced on bread with condiments. As they got older sometimes it was soup or stew in thermos. An apple or peeled orange. Carrot discs or sticks-thin! Ranch dressing to dip. Chips/pretzels/goldfish and cookies. Sunny D or Gator Ade, depending on the kid. They would not drink the milk at school. One son for 2 years or so wanted milk with ice cubes in thermos-we did that. At some point it crossed into stinky category.

What they ate and what they threw away? I've no idea. But I know it was less than if they'd bought the slop at school.

I've said before, the schools tend to put the pop machines out of the way and they charge $1.60 now for those bottles with twist cap. Water and juices are $1.00. Few take the pop. Teachers do and the same bottle is .95 in lounge, so there you go. LOL!

yes and the salad bars are a total no go. plus with the new 'campaign' wait till bake sales are pretty much banned....

Actually the salad bar is probably the most popular area outside of pizza slices, which are really icky, IMO. I just guess that teens will eat anything with sauce and cheese, even cardboard. This is limp cardboard.

In any case, what gets nearly no hits is the 'lunch' of the day. Also poor showing is burger and grilled sandwich section and the schools version of subway. Like I said, most bring their lunch. Those that don't, tend to hit the salad bar or pizza station.

Forum List

Back