Latin Mass

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Just went to one. Very beautiful. The women all wore head coverings, men mostly in suits. The church was packed. I haven't seen a Catholic mass that well attended for years. Maybe it's not true that people want "religion lite".... maybe they actually want "religion real."

I have been attending traditional Tridentine Mass whenever I can. One thing you will also notice is the number of young people attending. Early 20's and many teens usually have a big presence no matter what part of the country I am in.

Latin mass is for losers. You don't even understand what's being said. And if you do, you're an even bigger loser.

Much like today's vernacular Mass, the same prayers are said almost every Sunday. Pre Vatican 2, most Mass attendees followed along in their Missal, a personal book similar to a missallette used by many churches today.

Since people use missallettes today to follow the Mass in English or their own language, how is it any different than using a worship aide to follow the Mass in Latin?

After only attending a few times I was quite comfortable with the latin responses.

'Ad deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.' There were weeks when I said those beginning mass server words ten times or more as all the old Italian women in black sat devout, head down.

Forum List

Back