KW Collection.

Back in days of Stalin, Soviet Government would run two candidates, both were Communist but they were slightly different in their rhetoric and speeches so there was this "illusion of choice".

Voting was mandatory so turnout was always reported as 100%. That way whatever candidate won (or the government SAID had won) the case could be made that the candidate had a "mandate".

Sound familiar? Hahahahaha! :lol:

Thanks Knobby. Funny stuff. Reminds me of Mark Shields?, the guy who played piano and made up real good political satires.

1.......2.......5 vote rethuglikkan. But you better hurry, before they are all gone.

Back in days of Stalin, Soviet Government would run two candidates, both were Communist but they were slightly different in their rhetoric and speeches so there was this "illusion of choice".

Voting was mandatory so turnout was always reported as 100%. That way whatever candidate won (or the government SAID had won) the case could be made that the candidate had a "mandate".

Sound familiar? Hahahahaha! :lol:

VERY familiar!

Thanks Knobby. Funny stuff. Reminds me of Mark Shields?, the guy who played piano and made up real good political satires.

1.......2.......5 vote rethuglikkan. But you better hurry, before they are all gone.

Oh yea, Mark Russell! My dad loved him - saw him live at our local college before it went right-wing and wouldn't dream of entertainment like that today.

Nah his name was't Shields. Thats the guy on PBS News Hour.

I'll think of it.

You have had more coffee than I. And much younger, therefore having more recall. LOL.

MARK RUSSELL was the name. See I knew I would know it after I read it.

You have had more coffee than I. And much younger, therefore having more recall. LOL.

Coffee, yea! Younger? hahahahahahahahah Note how Mark Russell and this guy Zimmerman both have the same Steve Allen look. hahahahahahahahaahahaha

Coffee, yea! Younger? hahahahahahahahah Note how Mark Russell and this guy Zimmerman both have the same Steve Allen look. hahahahahahahahaahahaha

Father and adopted son? of Steve Allen?

And of course younger. You recall your FATHER liking Mark Russell. I recall ME liking Mark Russell.

When I could remember his name.

And of course younger. You recall your FATHER liking Mark Russell. I recall ME liking Mark Russell.

OK, you got me there Pops! Really, I liked Mark Russell too because I always liked creative people who were sideways from the norm like that. Russell really was a creative genius in the tradition of Victor Borge.

Hey Knobby, it's almost time for the bane of the House, John the Tan Man Bohner to get on TV and lie about how the sequester is all Obama's fault. Should be interesting. Maybe. If Gregory doens't let him get away with saying anything he wants.

You gonna watch? 5 minutes. Or how about MIttens on FOX? That's exciting isn't it?

Hey Knobby, it's almost time for the bane of the House, John the Tan Man Bohner to get on TV and lie about how the sequester is all Obama's fault. Should be interesting. Maybe. If Gregory doens't let him get away with saying anything he wants.

You gonna watch? 5 minutes. Or how about MIttens on FOX? That's exciting isn't it?

Hell no! I've got more Roy Zimmerman cued up. We already know what they're going to say anyhow. No tellin' what Roy will say next!

OK, you got me there Pops! Really, I liked Mark Russell too because I always liked creative people who were sideways from the norm like that. Russell really was a creative genius in the tradition of Victor Borge.

IN a target rich enviornment like today, can you imagine what fun Russell would have had?
And he wouldn't have had to trash talk to get his point across. He really was good. Ah well, enough of the memory lane.

At least Ron admits it. Greatest Generation my ass. LUCKY. Or, "The I Got Mine and Blew Yours" generation............

Written by
Ron
Simon

If you were born before Pearl Harbor happened, you are now sitting in the catbird seat.

That’s an old baseball announcer’s term for a team that’s 10 runs ahead in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Those of us lucky enough to be born before America entered World War II are sitting pretty.

We can be fairly sure we will always have our monthly Social Security payments and our old-fashioned pension money coming in until the last ambulance arrives.

We can thank the Greatest Generation that gave us life and the Baby Boomers generation that followed us for creating a pretty interesting world.

But no matter how good things look, trouble is always lurking around the corner. It could be government failure, business failure, illness or some comet that rams into us.

Often enough it’s a drunk driver or some idiot who texts while he or she drives the car.

Still, like those life insurance guys who work out life expectancy tables, things look pretty good for those of us in our 70s.

Very few of us got rich. Neither did many of our parents or our own children.

But from 1945 to 2008, Americans lived through one of the most innovative and wealth-creating times any nation has ever known.

We’ve seen one major disease after another eliminated and we put some guys on the moon. We are out there in the universe and our inventors are as busy as ever.

Those of us in our 70s have seen incredible change and are now at the point where change has outrun most of us. But for many who worked during that great period of boom, things turned out fairly well.

The current mess on Wall Street, Main Street and in Washington, D.C., will either improve or simply change. We don’t stay in one place for very long.

The Boomers who created so much of our wealth and comfort are still hard at work in laboratories, garages and basements.

All these thoughts come from the late Robert Sobel, who wrote a book called “The Great Boom.” Sobel died in 2000, not long after his book was published.

In 1946, a lot of columnists and university pundits thought the Great Depression would start all over again. Wartime production was done and who knew where things would go?

The veterans coming home were children of that Depression and were worried, too. But they had been around and seen what could be done by a nation as powerful as ours.

So, with the help of the G.I. Bill, they went to school. They also married and had lots of kids. Those kids were the Baby Boomers.

Our parents wanted just a few things. One was a home of their own along with a decent job, a car and a better life ahead for their children.

Most of them, including pre-war folks like me, never expected to get rich or live in mansions perched on cliffs overlooking the sea.

We just wanted a comfortable retirement with a roof over our heads and all our basic needs met. And that’s what many of us got.

In the beginning, blacks and other minority groups were left out. Wall Street firms wouldn’t hire them. New housing developments had rules that kept them out.

That began to change in the 1960s and ’70s. We went from radio and movies to television and minority families living next door.

Nothing works out the way we hope. The gates to the Garden of Eden are still closed.

But it was the nature of three generations to strive for change. We really believed in the platitudes even when change made us nervous or frightened.

Through that entire 66-year time period, there were constant predictions of doom from the experts. We seemed to be at war almost on a daily basis. We were spooked by Communists and lunatic dictators and violent religious dissent.

Yet things kept moving along, and for a few of us they seem to have turned out fairly well.

Some folks believe we are in another Great Depression and it is a lot nastier today.

A lot of folks with good work ethics can’t find a job. Technology seems to have turned on the ordinary working person. But we keep moving along. We’re scared and we’re brave. We still care, and we are still willing to change.

These are interesting times. They are driving some people crazy.

One way or another, we’ll keep going. I won’t see how it all comes out. Nobody will because it just keeps going.

I think the only thing that can stop it is a big comet. And we may find a way around that, too.

As Jesus Christ told his disciples, only God the Father knows when this whole thing will come to an end.

So, lacking that knowledge, we just keep moving along.

Ron Simon is a retired reporter, award-winning columnist and veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. He can be reached at [email protected].

At least give credit where credit is due. The democrat majority started stealing FICA taxes as soon as they saw the pile of cash sitting around. There never was a locked box. Later on democrats decided that Social Security benefits should be expanded to disabled people who never paid into the system. Finally the old crook from Texas, LBJ, made it official. FICA taxes would become part of the general fund.

Reality in two short songs............

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaDrINuicQ]"California Couldn't Pay Our Education" by Roy Zimmerman - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAJ98iCMQeM]"Dear Number 1036924053887" by Roy Zimmerman - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJiVfAeQO3k&NR=1&feature=fvwp]"My Conservative Girlfriend" - by Roy Zimmerman featuring Sandy Riccardi - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back