Knight-Swift starts layoffs...America's second largest carrier...due to economic slowdown...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Supply chain logistics like Trucking, Shipping and Rail are upstream from Wall St. and Main Street.

When the wave of economic bad news washes towards shore, it hits our sector first.

The collapse of Yellow Freight was likely the first red flag you who depend on Legacy Media heard about, but it was actually the lack of freight that preceded the collapse of spot rates that was a major contributor to Yellow's failure...

This is more bad news...

In other unsettling news...Coyote Logistics, America's third largest freight brokerage has ALSO laid off 7% of it's workforce...

C.H. Robinson, America's largest freight broker has been continuously downsizing it's staff as well...

And last but not least, Schneider National... America's largest multi-modal trucking carrier... Downgraded their economic outlook by 13% in August.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Supply chain logistics like Trucking, Shipping and Rail are upstream from Wall St. and Main Street.

When the wave of economic bad news washes towards shore, it hits our sector first.

The collapse of Yellow Freight was likely the first red flag you who depend on Legacy Media heard about, but it was actually the lack of freight that preceded the collapse of spot rates that was a major contributor to Yellow's failure...

This is more bad news...

In other unsettling news...Coyote Logistics, America's third largest freight brokerage has ALSO laid off 7% of it's workforce...

C.H. Robinson, America's largest freight broker has been continuously downsizing it's staff as well...

And last but not least, Schneider National... America's largest multi-modal trucking carrier... Downgraded their economic outlook by 13% in August.

Forewarned is forearmed.
So no more trucker shortage?

Cool. Maybe they can get my packages here on time for a change.

You're talking last mile deliveries.

If you ordered it online...they already had it in the warehouse.
Nope, I regularly need parts for my cars that have to come from as far as europe..

SO no more trucker shortage?

No truck shortage as those big rigs are about 98 feet long.
TruckER. Not truck.

A standard trailer is 53 feet. Even with cab and sleeper you're only getting to 70-75. A 100 foot rig would be really hard to drive on regular streets.

Nope, I regularly need parts for my cars that have to come from as far as europe..

SO no more trucker shortage?
I'm not sure there ever was a trucker shortage.

There's a shortage of people willing to be away from home, work long hours driving with a bunch of reckless idiots then spend 8 hours in a dock waiting to get unloaded...a privilege they are then billed for in the form of lumpers fees...and finally struggle to find some parking...for the basically the same per mile wages I was making 20 years ago.

I'm not sure there ever was a trucker shortage.

There's a shortage of people willing to be away from home, work long hours driving with a bunch of reckless idiots then spend 8 hours in a dock waiting to get unloaded...a privilege they are then billed for in the form of lumpers fees...and finally struggle to find some parking...for the basically the same per mile wages I was making 20 years ago.
The news for the last decade has been that there is a trucker shortage.

Did that just evaporate?

TruckER. Not truck.

A standard trailer is 53 feet. Even with cab and sleeper you're only getting to 70-75. A 100 foot rig would be really hard to drive on regular streets.
I know. Those UPS trucks with double trailers have a hell of a time making sharp turns.

Did that just evaporate?

Don't think it was ever really a thing...just marketing for the ATA to try to attract government subsidies and cheaper labor.

They achieved one of their goals...to allow 18 year olds to drive interstate.

Didn't work out the way they planned.

And you have 8mm other decent paying jobs to choose from, Missourian. Just stop it, bless your heart.
Are you saying "learn to code", John?

That's harassment...

Did that just evaporate?

Better article on the "truck driver shortage"...

Forum List

Back