Kids back then vs today

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
1655132904789.png

I swear a kid takes their life in their hands just trying to ride a bicycle in the average neighborhood these days.

In my neighborhood a family seldom had more than one car or maybe a old PU truck the dad used every now and again, now the same houses have three or four, along with the rest of the newer build-outs in the area.

When I was a kid there were gaggles of kids riding their bikes in every neighborhood in town. Not today.

I swear a kid takes their life in their hands just trying to ride a bicycle in the average neighborhood these days.

In my neighborhood a family seldom had more than one car or maybe a old PU truck the dad used every now and again, now the same houses have three or four, along with the rest of the newer build-outs in the area.

When I was a kid there were gaggles of kids riding their bikes in every neighborhood in town. Not today.

It isn't just the volume but the speed people go at in residential areas now. Everybody is always in too much of a rush. There is a street a couple over from me where the speed limit is 25 but people go 40-50 up and down that road regularly.

That's because the crackheads keep stealing them.

It isn't just the volume but the speed people go at in residential areas now. Everybody is always in too much of a rush. There is a street a couple over from me where the speed limit is 25 but people go 40-50 up and down that road regularly.

My wife and I drove down to Baltimore the other day which involved nearly three hours of highway and beltway Russian Roulette. I lost track of the number of other drivers doing well over 100 miles per hour, passing us at 65 or 70 like we were standing still. It's that kind of mad, mad world.

My siblings and I grew up playing in creeks, the bay, riding our bikes down railroad tracks, using railroad bridges for monkey bars and otherwise living outside in the dirt and mud with spiders, snakes and you name it wild animals; ticks, bees, hellbenders, leeches, copperheads, and on and on. We were walking bruises.

My siblings and I grew up playing in creeks, the bay, riding our bikes down railroad tracks, using railroad bridges for monkey bars and otherwise living outside in the dirt and mud with spiders, snakes and you name it wild animals; ticks, bees, hellbenders, leeches, copperheads, and on and on. We were walking bruises.

I grew up in the 70s and early 80s, grad HS late 80s. I think we were the last golden generation tbh. Playing like this as a child builds innovation and resiliency for just a few great benefits. I started teaching when "helicopter parents" were just coming to the fore and--big shock--we have colleges full of anxiety ridden, incapacitated "kids" and grown people who don't want to "adult". I feel like I could write a book.

My husband and I saw this happening and we tried to parent counter to it. As a result I often felt almost like a neglectful parent, but I knew it was the right thing in the long run. Well, our kids are now 25 and 23. Youngest just grad college and she is moving in a few days out of state for her first professional job. Our oldest has been on his own for a couple of years. This was the regular thing back in the day. Now, not so much.

Modern helicopter parenting hobbles kids. I wish we talked about this more, but the world is on fire so....

Damn, sounds like my childhood. I was a creek/river rat.

Here's my "monkey bar" train bridge over the South Fork of the Shenandoah River.

5440201308_268039150a_b.jpg

Forum List

Back