Dow 40,000

40% the Obiden Fluffer states? Uh where is that?

1715965810141.png

I post real life facts. Not commee spin or Obiden Fluff. Watch them disappear now.

They all picked Amazon at first day of public trading then held on with $100K invested......then they all crow the working man is a dummy. Sure you did.

The numbers are there. If you are in a diversified portfilio (Bonds, Fixed, Large, Small, International) depending on your mix you made less than going "all-in" on Large Caps. Exactly as I said from post #1 Day #1 forever.

If you were a big shot day trader with unlimited risk.....then you could have made more per year all in large cap stocks if you picked the right ones. My account is now starting to pay off. Steady increase. On MKT down days I no longer go down as much as the S&P market funds. I can't afford to lose 33-50% again like during the housing crash caused by Congress.

Diversification is an investors friend. Not an enemy.
Total stock market index funds are extremely diverse. It’s the total stock market. I’d say a portfolio like you suggested is quite unbalanced.

If you’re right at retirement, then investing in bonds is smart but you're trading returns for security. So your returns are no longer all that relevant.

Uh....earth to big mouth with crazy talk? EVERYONE is in funds as you post? Target funds or select a bunch or risker funds in your 401K or IRA.

Here are some Target date funds in John Hancock. Not one is up "40%" over 5 years. SHUP about it.

View attachment 948079

Total market funds. Have you ever heard of them?

VTSAX is up somewhere around 40% since Jan 2021.

Not target date funds. Not actively managed funds. Not niche funds.

Total market.

Ah yes... another opportunity for the right wing frauds to pretend that they care about middle class and lower earners

Then the thread will sink in about 4 hours, and the frauds will go right back to standing in the way of anything to help those same people.

Same con for 40+ years.

seems it has not failed but hit record highs

View attachment 948047
It's all inflation dollars.

Inflation has been over 30% since Sponge Brains Shits Pants stole the office of POTUS. Depending on who you choose to believe, maybe 40%.

Inflation Compounds. If we had 10% inflation in 2021 (we did) and then 8% in 2022 and 7% in 2023, that isn't 25% inflation from the base-date of 1/20/21. It's closer to 30%. Everybody but uneducated, dumbass fucking dimocraps seem to understand that.

10% of 100 = 110. 8% added onto that = 119. 7% added onto that = 127. 5% so far this year gives us 33% inflation. And I'm cutting the scumbag some slack. If it were compounded monthly (which, in reality it is) it would be even worse

The Market hasn't kept up.

Everybody knows it.

Except dim-witted dimocrap scum.

There is a lot of difference between suffering and being annoyed. I an not of the wealthy class, an hardly suffering, actually increasing, even on relatively fixed income. The suffering is the most overhyped BS to trumps have put forth, since the stolen election BS. I just can't work up a good suffer, to they can go on, without me, if all the same to you, or actually, even if it isn't.
You're doing okay so, fuck everybody else.

Gotcha

Total market funds. Have you ever heard of them?

VTSAX is up somewhere around 40% since Jan 2021.

Not target date funds. Not actively managed funds. Not niche funds.

Total market.

I can invest in the funds available to me. I can try to time the market. Post#65 above shows the "VANGUARD" funds available. They are in the Growth group. More Risky. If you are young and go all in and sit on it.........yes. nice idea. None of them state VTSAX and maybe one of them are up 40%. But did I know that 4 years ago?

THINK. 1 hour commute each way. Some SAT work.....8-10 hours on site. But now I am older employee and smarter, I can get done in 5-6 hours what I need to do. But 4-5 years ago? They offer 100 plans? You either choose risky or less risky TARGET DATE funds. You can change it weekly if you want to chase. But then you end up buying HIGH far too often.

SP500 was 3700 when Biden took office. It’s now 5200.

Thats 40%.

In raw numbers I would agree with you. 500 stocks are up (5200-3700)/3700 =~41%. But again that is Growth funds. More risky.
Those available to the AVG joe did not perfrom that well. Sure if you picked the right mix of a few stocks? Up 6% YTD? Big deal. Money market is 4.5% for high investment.

Why do John Hancock numbers not exactly agree with you? Over 5 yrs they state 13%. They don't show any 4 yr gains. 3yr gains show 8%
1715966849814.png

In raw numb

In raw numbers I would agree with you. 500 stocks are up (5200-3700)/3700 =~41%. But again that is Growth funds. More risky.
Those available to the AVG joe did not perfrom that well. Sure if you picked the right mix of a few stocks? Up 6% YTD? Big deal. Money market is 4.5% for high investment.

Why do John Hancock numbers not exactly agree with you? Over 5 yrs they state 13%. They don't show any 4 yr gains. 3yr gains show 8%
View attachment 948088
In raw numb
Index funds most certainly are available to the average person and are widely held. They’re no more risky than holding some random small cap or mid cap actively managed fund, but are typically cheaper. We’ve known for decades that index funds are by far the best option for the vast majority of investors.

You realize that the 13% is an annualized growth rate, right? That means it goes up 13% per year, which means in 3 years it’s up over 40%.

No I did not "know that". Thank you. All of those funds say 1YR, 3YR, 5YR and they have a percentage below them. I guess I better dig back into it and see exactly what they are showing? I see some other verbage there like Monthly gains vs. Quarterly? I was not concerned with that at the time.

This is the John Hancock 401K available to workers. We get to pick and choose plans only. At one time I put 5% into each one up to 20 of them. Then I gave up and went 2045 target date, about the same results. They all buy Amazon, APPL, FACEBOOK, Chevron etc. anyways All I know is I live in the real world.

Personalized rate of return is shown below by year for an IRA. I have 401K and IRA, both somewhat tracking the other. I pick funds in the 401K. My advisor picked the IRA funds, I am making ~8% YTD.

Last yr made 17.5%. Lost 20% in 2022. made 8.5% in 2021. Lagging the S&P 500 numbers posted below, especially 2021 when my new Bonds got created.

In a big crash....the S&P will crash more and I would crash less? that is the hopes.

The gain shows ~40% below for S&P over the last ~4 years if you do the math. Where as my plan is only 13% or so with a bad start adding in Bonds. They keep telling me that it will correct. And I do see signs of that.

1715968349637.png

Index funds most certainly are available to the average person and are widely held.

These are pre-Tax dollars. I cannot buy anything I want on the open market. I have to use a qualified 401K (offered plan). I can't day trade or pull money in/out willy-nilly. I will pay tax when I take it out. By that time I can control the flow out and stay in lower brackets if I want to remain poor.

No I did not "know that". Thank you. All of those funds say 1YR, 3YR, 5YR and they have a percentage below them. I guess I better dig back into it and see exactly what they are showing? I see some other verbage there like Monthly gains vs. Quarterly? I was not concerned with that at the time.

This is the John Hancock 401K available to workers. We get to pick and choose plans only. At one time I put 5% into each one up to 20 of them. Then I gave up and went 2045 target date, about the same results. They all buy Amazon, APPL, FACEBOOK, Chevron etc. anyways All I know is I live in the real world.

Personalized rate of return is shown below by year for an IRA. I have 401K and IRA, both somewhat tracking the other. I pick funds in the 401K. My advisor picked the IRA funds, I am making ~8% YTD.

Last yr made 17.5%. Lost 20% in 2022. made 8.5% in 2021. Lagging the S&P 500 numbers posted below, especially 2021 when my new Bonds got created.

In a big crash....the S&P will crash more and I would crash less? that is the hopes.

The gain shows ~40% below for S&P over the last ~4 years if you do the math. Where as my plan is only 13% or so with a bad start adding in Bonds. They keep telling me that it will correct. And I do see signs of that.

View attachment 948091
The purpose of a target date fund is that it’s all you have to invest in to be properly diversified and ease into bonds closer to retirement.

The 2045 target date fund on your list is up over 25% since Biden took office.

If you have a target date fund, you don’t need bonds or fixed income. That’s already baked in.

I think you’re not getting great advice. For the average Joe, they should just buy a target date fund or an index fund and sit on it. You don’t need to hold dozens of different funds. A simple fund will probably outperform.

I don’t know exactly what you can hold but it would be basically illegal to not have access to index funds.

If you arent going to retire for 20 years, you can still tolerate plenty of volatility. Even if the SP500 tanks, it won’t be down for 20 years. Just don’t panic sell.

Thats' great. Thank you. 25% over 4 years is about 6% per year as I said in the beginning. Barely better than my 4.5% cash.
I learned to read more carefully the charts and other BS I posted. I do sincerely mean to say thank you for your guidance.

Again, in an Employer 401K plan we are offered choices to put percentages into. What I know now is not the same as 4 year ago, It is hard to time the market. Back then a 50% drop seemed more than likely. But, I was wrong. But my account is safe and I have gains...........not as big as it could have been. My losses are now minimize more so going forward also.

Forum List

Back