KIDS are those 0 to 20 years of age

This was 1983 - 1984. But, this was California and Amanda lives in KC. I'm not sure it's as expensive in KC as Monterey was then.

The point is that many people think the minimum is one thing, but unless you are really forced to look for the minimum, you don't know what the minimum is.

The cost of living in KC is equivalent to the cost of living here, if you do some research. So, if she's making $15 an hour, and paying all her bills, and fully supporting herself with no outside help, she's hooking on the side, because it's not possible to live alone in an apartment, afford everything that goes with it, have a car, and be legally insured, go out and get drunk all the time, and put money $200 a month into savings, be out of work for a few months and still have money to live on, given she's not even old enough to have HAD the job that long.

My calculations do not come out the same way at all. It looks like there is plenty of money to me.

$15 x 34 hrs x 4.3 = roughly $2,190
Let's give Uncle Sugar $400

$1,700. Aquick search reveals a studio apartment for $295/mo.
Leaving $1,400. Let's say a used car with a payment $200. Maintenance, Ins. fees $100.
Leaving $1,100. When I was single and not being frugal, I would eat for $60 /week. Assuming inflation, let's call it $300. (I think you can do it cheaper though).
Leaving $800. Let's pay cell phone, utilities etc. for another $300

You have $500 left......what's the problem?

The maintenance, gas, and insurance on a car for an 18 year old girl is more than $100, especially on an old user car which will likely have nil for a safety rating, and be parking on an open street, if you life in a studio apartment. Don't forget the $200 she put away per month in savings, which drops you right down to $300 before any of the above, and then there's still things like medicine, perhaps health insurance, unless it's provided through work, in which case, that drops her net check down a bit more, clothes, necessities for the house, which are not part of a food budget...

The cost of living in KC is equivalent to the cost of living here, if you do some research. So, if she's making $15 an hour, and paying all her bills, and fully supporting herself with no outside help, she's hooking on the side, because it's not possible to live alone in an apartment, afford everything that goes with it, have a car, and be legally insured, go out and get drunk all the time, and put money $200 a month into savings, be out of work for a few months and still have money to live on, given she's not even old enough to have HAD the job that long.

My calculations do not come out the same way at all. It looks like there is plenty of money to me.

Leaving $1,400. Let's say a used car with a payment $200. Maintenance, Ins. fees $100.
Leaving $1,100. When I was single and not being frugal, I would eat for $60 /week. Assuming inflation, let's call it $300. (I think you can do it cheaper though).

The maintenance, gas, and insurance on a car for an 18 year old girl is more than $100, especially on an old user car which will likely have nil for a safety rating, and be parking on an open street, if you life in a studio apartment. Don't forget the $200 she put away per month in savings, which drops you right down to $300 before any of the above, and then there's still things like medicine, perhaps health insurance, unless it's provided through work, in which case, that drops her net check down a bit more, clothes, necessities for the house, which are not part of a food budget...

That's picking nits and she says she actually makes more than I assumed and doesn't have a car payment. That offsets what you claim. And, like most 18 yos, she probably doesn't keep health insurance. At any rate, I see plenty of cash to go around there.

I wish I had than kind of money at that age. I've certainly looked at budgets that were bleaker.

That's picking nits and she says she actually makes more than I assumed and doesn't have a car payment. That offsets what you claim. And, like most 18 yos, she probably doesn't keep health insurance. At any rate, I see plenty of cash to go around there.

I wish I had than kind of money at that age. I've certainly looked at budgets that were bleaker.

She would have also had to have that job for almost a year just to put in savings what her bills are for a single month. Once that month runs out, and she still has no job, she's living how, exactly?

This was 1983 - 1984. But, this was California and Amanda lives in KC. I'm not sure it's as expensive in KC as Monterey was then.

The point is that many people think the minimum is one thing, but unless you are really forced to look for the minimum, you don't know what the minimum is.

Actually Tech your numbers are a little off.

$14.85 x 55hrs x 4.3 = 3512
About $1000 went to taxes and medical insurance.
No car payment. A friend at church did my car maintenance, all had to pay for were things like oil or new wipers. My car insurance runs about $135/mo (sorry I don't have the numbers right in front of me).
I don't spend more than $75/wk on food. Sometimes a lot less if I can tag along with a friend to a place like Costco and buy stuff in bulk.
My utilities and cell run about $500/mo.

It really wasn't hard to put away $200/mo for school.

No car payment. A friend at church did my car maintenance, all had to pay for were things like oil or new wipers. My car insurance runs about $135/mo (sorry I don't have the numbers right in front of me).
I don't spend more than $75/wk on food. Sometimes a lot less if I can tag along with a friend to a place like Costco and buy stuff in bulk.

You worked 55 hours a week at an hourly wage, with no overtime pay?

Makes sense to me. I didn't do too bad for not knowing anything about you....lol.

I think DIS thinks if you don't make $5,000 per month you can't possibly live....lol. :cuckoo:

She would have also had to have that job for almost a year just to put in savings what her bills are for a single month. Once that month runs out, and she still has no job, she's living how, exactly?

When you left home at 18 did you have no money or did you have a savings?

Also, you never told me how old you are. It's rude to ask someone how old they are and then hold back the information yourself.

Makes sense to me. I didn't do too bad for not knowing anything about you....lol.

I think DIS thinks if you don't make $5,000 per month you can't possibly live....lol. :cuckoo:

I'm saying if you want to be considered an adult at 13-14 like Amanda does, you need to be 100% self-sufficient, and you can't be that. I'm also saying that at 18 you're still a kid, and you're not 100% self-sufficient unless there is nobody taking care of you, and nobody providing anything for you that you can't provide for yourself. She's talking about moving in with her parents, or boyfriend (of a couple weeks?!), and she does not have a job. Therefore, she is not a self-sufficient adult. She is still a kid, and should be one while she can.

Also, you never told me how old you are. It's rude to ask someone how old they are and then hold back the information yourself.

When I left home (the day I turned 18, I moved into my own apartment), I had a savings account that I started when I was 16, with two jobs. I had two jobs until my early 20's. I also had all of my furniture, kitchen stuff, towels, bed linens, etc. because I would spend my paychecks at places like Target, and hoard everything into my closets and the basement for the day I moved out.

Oh, and I'm 39. I didn't purposely not answer your question.. My age is actually common knowledge here, and I just sorta didn't give stating it a second thought.

I'm saying if you want to be considered an adult at 13-14 like Amanda does, you need to be 100% self-sufficient, and you can't be that. I'm also saying that at 18 you're still a kid, and you're not 100% self-sufficient unless there is nobody taking care of you, and nobody providing anything for you that you can't provide for yourself. She's talking about moving in with her parents, or boyfriend (of a couple weeks?!), and she does not have a job. Therefore, she is not a self-sufficient adult. She is still a kid, and should be one while she can.

OH PLEASE! DIS you should be ashamed of yourself peddling that bullshit set of lies. Who do you think you are talking to? You may be able to con an 18 or 19 yo into thinking that shit is true, but don't EVEN try to sell it to me.

I've seen plenty of people a hell of a lot older than Amanda move back in with their parents when they've hit a bad patch. I never had the luxery, but don't try to tell me that if you have to turn to friends or family to help you through a rough patch, you aren't grown up. It might make me suspect about whether you are grown up.

And, further, she said 15-16 not 13-14. If you are going tear someone up, at least be accurate about your quotes of them. Frankly, I think you've got anger and transferance issues with Amanda and you ought to start looking at yourself a little bit more and her a little bit less.

When I left home (the day I turned 18, I moved into my own apartment), I had a savings account that I started when I was 16, with two jobs. I had two jobs until my early 20's. I also had all of my furniture, kitchen stuff, towels, bed linens, etc. because I would spend my paychecks at places like Target, and hoard everything into my closets and the basement for the day I moved out.

Oh, and I'm 39. I didn't purposely not answer your question.. My age is actually common knowledge here, and I just sorta didn't give stating it a second thought.

Based on what I've seen of Amanda's posts over the months, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out she had saved some money in addition to the money she claims (and I have no reason to doubt her) to have put away for college that has now, no doubt, been converted.

My own daughter moved back in last month also due to the economy. Thanks, for the age reply.

OH PLEASE! DIS you should be ashamed of yourself peddling that bullshit set of lies. Who do you think you are talking to? You may be able to con an 18 or 19 yo into thinking that shit is true, but don't EVEN try to sell it to me.

I've seen plenty of people a hell of a lot older than Amanda move back in with their parents when they've hit a bad patch. I never had the luxery, but don't try to tell me that if you have to turn to friends or family to help you through a rough patch, you aren't grown up. It might make me suspect about whether you are grown up.

And, further, she said 15-16 not 13-14. If you are going tear someone up, at least be accurate about your quotes of them. Frankly, I think you've got anger and transferance issues with Amanda and you ought to start looking at yourself a little bit more and her a little bit less.

The best you've got is to jump all over a difference between 13-14 and 15-16 when there really isn't one? Please. :eusa_hand:

You can not scream that you want to be an adult, and be treated like one, and then act like a kid in the process. Like it or not, those are the simple facts. Try getting over the fact that she's just an innocent little female, and try looking at the crap she posts.

I also never stated that people never needed a helping hand, and that if they need one, they shouldn't ask for once. But once again, it comes down to saying one thing, and acting like/doing another.

The best you've got is to jump all over a difference between 13-14 and 15-16 when there really isn't one? Please. :eusa_hand:

You can not scream that you want to be an adult, and be treated like one, and then act like a kid in the process. Like it or not, those are the simple facts. Try getting over the fact that she's just an innocent little female, and try looking at the crap she posts.

I also never stated that people never needed a helping hand, and that if they need one, they shouldn't ask for once. But once again, it comes down to saying one thing, and acting like/doing another.

No the best I have is your saying that if you are really grown up then you wouldn't talk about moving back with your parents when you lose your job. That's stupid. I jumped on the other because there is a difference between a 13 year old and 16 year old and if you don't know that, I guess you don't have kids that age. Well, I have and do. And, there is a hell of a lot of difference.

By your standards, there are a hell of a lot of 30+ year olds that claim to be adults, but aren't. :cuckoo:

Why do you have a problem with what she posts? And who says I think she is an "innocent female?"

Far from me having something to get over, it sounds like you have something serious to get over. Are you going to tell us what it is or continue to act pent up?

No the best I have is your saying that if you are really grown up then you wouldn't talk about moving back with your parents when you lose your job. That's stupid. I jumped on the other because there is a difference between a 13 year old and 16 year old and if you don't know that, I guess you don't have kids that age. Well, I have and do. And, there is a hell of a lot of difference.

By your standards, there are a hell of a lot of 30+ year olds that claim to be adults, but aren't. :cuckoo:

Why do you have a problem with what she posts? And who says I think she is an "innocent female?"

Far from me having something to get over, it sounds like you have something serious to get over. Are you going to tell us what it is or continue to act pent up?

I'm perfectly fine.. She's the one traipsing from thread to thread shouting different things, and now plays the victim when she gets called on them. That's all on her.

It's definitely getting her the attention she states that she wants...

I'm sure you'll be quick to tell me what it is I have to get over, tho, huh?

It kills me to agree with Dis twice in one day. But she is absolutely correct in saying a minor that isn't self-sufficient doesn't deserve the title adult.

I'm perfectly fine.. She's the one traipsing from thread to thread shouting different things, and now plays the victim when she gets called on them. That's all on her.

Clearly, you already know.

Some people deal with their issues in different ways. This is one of great things about the anonimity of the Internet. I'm not sure that stalking is a productive response to it though.

Some people deal with their issues in different ways. This is one of great things about the anonimity of the Internet. I'm not sure that stalking is a productive response to it though.

Stalking? Nah. She dumped her load in my thread; I merely shoveled it where appropriate. Stalking would be PMing her to death, and repping the snot out of her. Perhaps you might want to familiarize yourself with the definition of it, and see if perhaps the same can't be said about you jumping all over me for a conversation you aren't part of, and projecting your own opnions onto me?

Stalking? Nah. She dumped her load in my thread; I merely shoveled it where appropriate. Stalking would be PMing her to death, and repping the snot out of her. Perhaps you might want to familiarize yourself with the definition of it, and see if perhaps the same can't be said about you jumping all over me for a conversation you aren't part of, and projecting your own opnions onto me?

This isn't your thread. This is BaltimoreBob's thread. If you were having a problem on your thread, you should have kept it there. I'm sure BB appreciates you dragging your shit over here.

For the record, since you are now trying to define stalking and then accuse me of it, I haven't rep'd you nor PM'd you have I?

I believe my first post was directly on point to the OP and directly military related. I didn't get misdirected until you got completely insane.

Forum List

Back