KIDS are those 0 to 20 years of age

Quote: We don't need a nanny state

No nanny state just 21 for drinking and combat
Age 18 for the rest

Just don't put a 0 to 20 year olds life in danger
because it's not right.
21 to handle drinking and combat.

Baltimore Bob

Sorry Bob, I've been drinking since I was quite young and fucking and fighting too. I don't think there's anything wrong with a 13 or 14 year old being given the responsibility of an "adult". I think the ideas our current culture has about age/responsibility are all fucked up. 200 years ago we didn't think 2x about calling "kids" adults and letting them self determine... If anything kids today are more aware and more ready to take control and be adults. I would have gladly taken responsibility for myself at 15 or 16 if our culture would have let me. I think people that want to keep young people artificially children are doing more of a disservice than anything else. Please... let us succeed or fail on our own terms, isn't that the same chance you got? If not, isn't it what you wanted???

Really? So then you have a full time job to replace the one you were fired from, and at the ripe old age of 18, you're fully on your own, supporting yourself, depending on nobody for anything, right? You have your own apartment, make your own rent payment, your own car, making your own car payment, your own insurance, making your own insurance payment, buying your own food, clothes, other necessities, etc, you are not dependent upon anyone else in any way, shape, or form for anything financial, and you've had all of that since you were 15 or 16?

Why do I find that so hard to believe?

If not, why not?

Hmmm.....well, let's look at me and not Amanda.

I enlisted in the US Army at 17 years old as E-4. Yes, I was completely out on my own and nobody caring for me but Uncle Sugar. Yes, I made my own car payments, insurance payments, saved for old age and donated to the Old Soldier's Home. Uncle Sugar did give me a clothing allowance of about $10 a month.

I was married at 18 and supported a wife and her son from previous and had one of my own by the time I was 19. I managed to suscessfully juggle the various responsibliities as required of this situation. (Including the hazards of living in one of the highest cost areas in the country (Monterey, CA) and making less than $900 per month total. We still managed to make it.

I managed to remain employed for more than my full term for 5 years. What's so hard to believe?

Here's a clue for you... You're a KID.

KIDS brag about who and what they've fucked since when.

KIDS brag about what they'd do if they were considered adults.

KIDS brag about things like underage drinking, and what they can get away with.

You are NOT self-sufficient. You don't have the ability to BE self-sufficient.

How can you expect someone to take you seriously when you left yet another job because you felt "harassed", but yet didn't have another job to replace it? Adults don't get to make bonehead moves like that. We need a backup plan.

Try being a kid before you become a grownup.

I didn't leave, I was fired. If I was a piece of shit I'd have filed a whistle blower lawsuit but I'm not.

I was doing everything for myself. I paid my own rent, my car insurance, etc. I'm close to making a decision about what to do next... it may be to join the Marines, it may be to move in with my bf, it may be to move back home with my parents. But I am self determining, becos it's my decision.

Is it your decision, or the decision of the people that will be supporting you again?

Adults don't just get to choose who they'll move in with, unless of course it's YOUR house/apartment, and you are allowing someone else to live with you.

You just said yourself, kids don't make enough money to live on their own. Given you were part of a customer service phone service, I know damn well you weren't making enough to make rent, car payment, insurance, food, clothes, utilities, cell phone bills, "clubbing" money, etc. and still put enough money in savings to cover the month, or whatever you were out of work, as well as being out of work now, all on your own without the help of someone else.

Are stalking Amanda? Or do you have some other way of "KNOWING?"

I graduated high school joined the reserves went through basic before the age of 18. Have a Job pay my bills rent and a have a 2008 Impala. Guess Im ok too. Hmmmmmmm we must be the exceptions Tech and Amanda

Sorry Bob, I've been drinking since I was quite young and fucking and fighting too. I don't think there's anything wrong with a 13 or 14 year old being given the responsibility of an "adult". I think the ideas our current culture has about age/responsibility are all fucked up. 200 years ago we didn't think 2x about calling "kids" adults and letting them self determine... If anything kids today are more aware and more ready to take control and be adults. I would have gladly taken responsibility for myself at 15 or 16 if our culture would have let me. I think people that want to keep young people artificially children are doing more of a disservice than anything else. Please... let us succeed or fail on our own terms, isn't that the same chance you got? If not, isn't it what you wanted???

Really? So then you have a full time job to replace the one you were fired from, and at the ripe old age of 18, you're fully on your own, supporting yourself, depending on nobody for anything, right? You have your own apartment, make your own rent payment, your own car, making your own car payment, your own insurance, making your own insurance payment, buying your own food, clothes, other necessities, etc, you are not dependent upon anyone else in any way, shape, or form for anything financial, and you've had all of that since you were 15 or 16?

If not, why not?

I enlisted in the US Army at 17 years old as E-4. Yes, I was completely out on my own and nobody caring for me but Uncle Sugar. Yes, I made my own car payments, insurance payments, saved for old age and donated to the Old Soldier's Home. Uncle Sugar did give me a clothing allowance of about $10 a month.

I was married at 18 and supported a wife and her son from previous and had one of my own by the time I was 19. I managed to suscessfully juggle the various responsibliities as required of this situation. (Including the hazards of living in one of the highest cost areas in the country (Monterey, CA) and making less than $900 per month total. We still managed to make it.

I managed to remain employed for more than my full term for 5 years. What's so hard to believe?

How old are you? 30 years ago, $900 a month went a damned long way. Hell, I was making more than $900 a month when I was 18. My rent was $250, I didn't have a car payment, my utilities were about $200 a month total.. That left me a little over $100 a week for food, clothes, things for my apartment, nights out, etc. But that didn't leave me no $200 a month for savings. Now, gas/electricity alone is about $300 a month for a damned large portion of the population here.

She worked in customer service.. Customer service SUPERVISORS make between $11 and $15 an hour, depending on the state you live in, and the type of company you work for. She did not state she was a supervisor, which would indicate she made less than $11.00 an hour. Now, how one can pay rent of a couple hundred dollars (at least!) no matter where you live, a car payment of even as low as $200 a month, insurance (which for an 18 year old girl is going to be HIGH), food, gas, clothes, cell phone, utilities, and $200 a month (she said) into a savings account, as well as having money to go out all the time is beyond me.

Someone will have to explain that to me..

Last edited by a moderator:

If not, why not?

How old are you?

I'm not sure why it's your business. I assume you are just trying to keep from putting your foot firmly and deeply in your mouth. So, for the sake of preventing a faux pas, I'm 44.

I have a 25 year old son who enlisted at 18 and has successfully completed in excess of 6 years of military service and is now a military contractor and going to Afghanistan next month. I also have a 20 year old daughter who managed to make it on her own for the last two years.

How old are you?

Last edited:
And when I said "kid" that's what I meant - someone under 18. When you're 16 the best job you can get is at the Dairy Queen and that won't pay grown up bills. And no one will rent you an apartment both because you're too young to sign a lease and they know you don't make enough money.

I was making almost $15/hr at my last job. It wasn't customer support for the cable company, it was for a financial product and we had to know it inside out. I had help getting in the door and was tutored beforehand so I walked in knowing the basics. It wasn't a situation that everyone could get into, but it was apparently possible because I did it. Could I have another job right now? Sure, but I don't want to work at Blockbuster, I want a good job. So I'm living off my savings and trying to get what I want.

Everyone has setbacks in their life, I'm dealing with mine.

How old are you?

I'm not sure why it's your business. I assume you are just trying to keep from putting your foot firmly and deeply in your mouth. So, for the sake of preventing a faux pas, I'm 44.

I have a 25 year old son who enlisted at 18 and has successfully completed in excess of 6 years of military service and is now a military contractor and going to Afghanistan next month. I also have a 20 year old daughter who managed to make it on her own for the last two years.

How old are you?

I simply asked because you threw the amount of $900 out there, and I wanted to know how many years ago you were stating one could live on $900 cause it sure as hell isn't anything recent.

And when I said "kid" that's what I meant - someone under 18. When you're 16 the best job you can get is at the Dairy Queen and that won't pay grown up bills. And no one will rent you an apartment both because you're too young to sign a lease and they know you don't make enough money.

I was making almost $15/hr at my last job. It wasn't customer support for the cable company, it was for a financial product and we had to know it inside out. I had help getting in the door and was tutored beforehand so I walked in knowing the basics. It wasn't a situation that everyone could get into, but it was apparently possible because I did it. Could I have another job right now? Sure, but I don't want to work at Blockbuster, I want a good job. So I'm living off my savings and trying to get what I want.

That's less than $600 a week BEFORE taxes, take about 30% for taxes, and you're down to about $420, and if I remember right, you said you were working part time, so we can likely cut that in half.

I still ain't seeing it. That's al beside the fact that I simply said you can't just back out and "quit" if the Military doesn't go your way. Nor can you just do what you want either...

How old are you?

How old are you?

I simply asked because you threw the amount of $900 out there, and I wanted to know how many years ago you were stating one could live on $900 cause it sure as hell isn't anything recent.

It wasn't then either. But we did it.

The week I PCS'd from Ft. Ord, CA to Germany, a child of a sergeant stationed there hanged himself. The note he left said "...at least there will be one less mouth to feed."

Within a month there was a full-scale Congressional investigation launch into pay and benefits. It was as a result of that investigation that military folks began getting trailers issued and provisions made for their transportation between bases. There was a severe housing shortage at Ft. Ord. We had to wait for 9 months to get housing. We were renting an apartment for $430/mo. and only making $900. You do the math. And we had a car payment.

If not, why not?

How old are you? 30 years ago, $900 a month went a damned long way. Hell, I was making more than $900 a month when I was 18. My rent was $250, I didn't have a car payment, my utilities were about $200 a month total.. That left me a little over $100 a week for food, clothes, things for my apartment, nights out, etc. But that didn't leave me no $200 a month for savings. Now, gas/electricity alone is about $300 a month for a damned large portion of the population here.

She worked in customer service.. Customer service SUPERVISORS make between $11 and $15 an hour, depending on the state you live in, and the type of company you work for. She did not state she was a supervisor, which would indicate she made less than $11.00 an hour. Now, how one can pay rent of a couple hundred dollars (at least!) no matter where you live, a car payment of even as low as $200 a month, insurance (which for an 18 year old girl is going to be HIGH), food, gas, clothes, cell phone, utilities, and $200 a month (she said) into a savings account, as well as having money to go out all the time is beyond me.

Someone will have to explain that to me..

My daughter was making less than $10 /hr and doing without a car, not getting full hours and paying for herself within a "group home" context. For those in areas not as expensive as DC, that's where you have a lot of roommates. Common for students and others just starting out here.

How old are you?

The week I PCS'd from Ft. Ord, CA to Germany, a child of a sergeant stationed there hanged himself. The note he left said "...at least there will be one less mouth to feed."

Within a month there was a full-scale Congressional investigation launch into pay and benefits. It was as a result of that investigation that military folks began getting trailers issued and provisions made for their transportation between bases. There was a severe housing shortage at Ft. Ord. We had to wait for 9 months to get housing. We were renting an apartment for $430/mo. and only making $900. You do the math. And we had a car payment.

Back then, a pack of cigs also cost less than $2.00, as did a gallon of milk. Back then, people made wiser decisions on what to spend their money on, too.. If there wasn't enough money for that 99 cent bag of doritos, you didn't GET that bag of doritos. Simple as that.

Back then, a pack of cigs also cost less than $2.00, as did a gallon of milk. Back then, people made wiser decisions on what to spend their money on, too.. If there wasn't enough money for that 99 cent bag of doritos, you didn't GET that bag of doritos. Simple as that.

This was 1983 - 1984. But, this was California and Amanda lives in KC. I'm not sure it's as expensive in KC as Monterey was then.

The point is that many people think the minimum is one thing, but unless you are really forced to look for the minimum, you don't know what the minimum is.

This was 1983 - 1984. But, this was California and Amanda lives in KC. I'm not sure it's as expensive in KC as Monterey was then.

The point is that many people think the minimum is one thing, but unless you are really forced to look for the minimum, you don't know what the minimum is.

The cost of living in KC is equivalent to the cost of living here, if you do some research. So, if she's making $15 an hour, and paying all her bills, and fully supporting herself with no outside help, she's hooking on the side, because it's not possible to live alone in an apartment, afford everything that goes with it, have a car, and be legally insured, go out and get drunk all the time, and put money $200 a month into savings, be out of work for a few months and still have money to live on, given she's not even old enough to have HAD the job that long.

Quote: We don't need a nanny state

No nanny state just 21 for drinking and combat
Age 18 for the rest

Just don't put a 0 to 20 year olds life in danger
because it's not right.
21 to handle drinking and combat.

Baltimore Bob

If not, why not?

I agree Dis. The whole story sounds unrealistic.

Now, it would sound 100% plausible if she told us that she has two kids...that would sound realistic.

That's less than $600 a week BEFORE taxes, take about 30% for taxes, and you're down to about $420, and if I remember right, you said you were working part time, so we can likely cut that in half.

I still ain't seeing it. That's al beside the fact that I simply said you can't just back out and "quit" if the Military doesn't go your way. Nor can you just do what you want either...

If by "part time" you mean 50+ hour weeks then yeah you're recollection is spot on. I was a team lead, so yeah kinda like a supervisor. Like I actually did say, my rise there was unprecedented, there were people that had been there 5 years that hadn't made it as far as I did in 3 months. Another thing you're not remembering is that I was fired, I didn't quit. I wouldn't have ever quit that job, I loved it. After taxes I brought home around $550/wk on average. My rent is $295. I don't have a car payment. I know how to eat pretty well on a small budget. Should I scan in my tax return? Need to see a copy of my drivers license?

Just becos you couldn't make it at 18 doesn't mean no one can. I think Tech might be on to something... this IS starting to feel like a stalking. Even DavidS never had his nose this far up my ass.

If by "part time" you mean 50+ hour weeks then yeah you're recollection is spot on. I was a team lead, so yeah kinda like a supervisor. Like I actually did say, my rise there was unprecedented, there were people that had been there 5 years that hadn't made it as far as I did in 3 months. Another thing you're not remembering is that I was fired, I didn't quit. I wouldn't have ever quit that job, I loved it. After taxes I brought home around $550/wk on average. My rent is $295. I don't have a car payment. I know how to eat pretty well on a small budget. Should I scan in my tax return? Need to see a copy of my drivers license?

Just becos you couldn't make it at 18 doesn't mean no one can. I think Tech might be on to something... this IS starting to feel like a stalking. Even DavidS never had his nose this far up my ass.

Hey, you opened the can of worms. I"m simply calling bullshit on who and what you say you are, and I ain't the only one...

Oh, and I made it at 18 on my own. With two jobs, because a lousy $14.50 an hour before taxes and health insurance wasn't enough to cut it, even back in 1987.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey, you opened the can of worms. I"m simply calling bullshit on who and what you say you are, and I ain't the only one...

Oh, and I made it at 18 on my own. With two jobs, because a lousy $14.50 an hour before taxes and health insurance wasn't enough to cut it, even back in 1987.

Call bullshit all you want. The real bullshit is how you "remember" just about everything wrong. It's ok tho, I consider having a stalker to be flattering, so knock yourself out obsessing over me. :)

The cost of living in KC is equivalent to the cost of living here, if you do some research. So, if she's making $15 an hour, and paying all her bills, and fully supporting herself with no outside help, she's hooking on the side, because it's not possible to live alone in an apartment, afford everything that goes with it, have a car, and be legally insured, go out and get drunk all the time, and put money $200 a month into savings, be out of work for a few months and still have money to live on, given she's not even old enough to have HAD the job that long.

My calculations do not come out the same way at all. It looks like there is plenty of money to me.

$15 x 34 hrs x 4.3 = roughly $2,190
Let's give Uncle Sugar $400

$1,700. Aquick search reveals a studio apartment for $295/mo.
Leaving $1,400. Let's say a used car with a payment $200. Maintenance, Ins. fees $100.
Leaving $1,100. When I was single and not being frugal, I would eat for $60 /week. Assuming inflation, let's call it $300. (I think you can do it cheaper though).
Leaving $800. Let's pay cell phone, utilities etc. for another $300

You have $500 left......what's the problem?

Call bullshit all you want. The real bullshit is how you "remember" just about everything wrong. It's ok tho, I consider having a stalker to be flattering, so knock yourself out obsessing over me. :)

Is everyone that's called bullshit on you stalking you today, or is it only because Tech posted something you could latch on to for dear life? Really.. You're 18, you claim to be a self-sufficient adult. DO learn to stand on your own two feet.

Forum List

Back