Kerry: ‘Israel Can Either Be Jewish or Democratic — It Cannot Be Both’

There is discrimmination, in the variety of areas and laws which specifically favor Jews. Can you have a religious state and a true democracy? I'm doubtful.

There are no Israeli laws that I am aware of which specifically favor Jews, as a function of the law itself. (There is discrimination without a doubt). If you would wish to discuss this further, please don't refer me to the Adalah site and their "50 laws". I'm already very familiar with that site and not impressed. If you would like to discuss a specific law, which you feel is designed to discriminate against Arabs or Muslims/Christians, please provide the text of the law.

I'm not familiar with the Adalah site. I was thinking of the absentee landowner laws that make it easy for palestinian property to be confiscated, and laws which make it easy for Jews to reclaim property, but more difficult for Palestinians. Laws which allow Jews to more easily bring in Jewish spouses but not Palestinians.

And depending on how one defines a "democracy" and a "religious state", I don't see how the two are incompatible. Thoughts on why you would think that is?

A democracy needs to have equality and equal representation for all it's people. Laws need to treat people equally. If there is preferential treatment of a certain religious group - through which the state is defined, is it truly a democracy? Right now the ambiguous status of the Palestinians - the "Occupied Territories" all work against Israel being truely democratic.

I can not think of a single successful state that is both religious in nature and democratic. I'm not sure it's possible and one reason is that every major religion feels it's own followers are somehow elevated. Religious states have always ended up discriminating.

Oh, fair enough.

But Israel is not a religious state. Thoae who think that have no idea what they're talking about.
I would agree it is not a theocracy. But aren't there tensions even within Israel as to whether it can be bot a Democracy and a Jewish state?

Only in recent years. Those who established the state were liberals and secular. Ben Gurion belonged to the left.

Yet he understood that Jerusalem was a deal breaker. That the Jewish tradition played an importand part in our lifestyle.

It is only of late that morons and religion haters rose with that "this or that" determination.

Tention? Conflict? Of course, on some level. But there is a balance. Only the fools will see it as a black or white situation

1. I asked this:
'Propaganda' suggests the opposite of truth. Perhaps you could point out any such content in the video.

You didn't, so I'll conclude that you can't because it is totally true.

2. "If the oppression stopped and the Muslims and Christians were treated like human beings by the Jews and allowed to exercise their civil rights a return to the land that was stolen from them,..."
Actually, I spent a few weeks in Israel this summer...and a great deal of time at Christian Holy Sites
None of what you claim is true.

3. "...the land that was stolen from them."
Now...watch as I rip one who is one a new one:
No land was stolen from the Arabs:
"Until the passage of the Turkish Land Registry Law in 1858,
there were no official deeds to attest to a man's legal title to a parcel
of land; tradition alone had to suffice to establish such title— and
usually it did. And yet, the position of Palestine's farmers was a
precarious one, for there were constant blood-feuds between families,
clans and entire villages, as well as periodic incursions by rapacious Bedouin tribes...

When considering Jewish land purchases and settlements, four
factors should be borne in mind:

(1) Most of the land purchases involved large tracts belonging to
absentee owners.
(Virtually all of the Jezreel Valley, for
example, belonged in 1897 to only two persons: the eastern
portion to the Turkish Sultan, and the western part to the
richest banker in Syria, Sursuk "the Greek".)

(2) Most of the land purchased had not been cultivated previously
because it was swampy, rocky, sandy or, for some other reason,
regarded as uncultivable. This is supported by the findings of
the Peel Commission Report (p. 242): "The Arab charge that
the Jews have obtained too large a proportion of good land
cannot be maintained. Much of the land now carrying orange
groves was sand dunes or swamp and uncultivated when it
was purchased . . . there was at the time at least of the earlier
sales little evidence that the owners possessed either the re-
sources or training needed to develop the land." (1937)

(3) While, for this reason, the early transactions did not involve
unduly large sums of money, the price of land began to rise
as Arab landowners took advantage of the growing demand for
rural tracts. The resulting infusion of capital into the
Palestinian economy had noticeable beneficial effects on the
standard of living of all the inhabitants.

(4) The Jewish pioneers introduced new farming methods which
improved the soil and crop cultivation and were soon emulated
by Arab farmers.

(According to the
Turkish census of 1875, by that time Jews already constituted a
majority of the population of Jerusalem and by 1905 comprised
two-thirds of its citizens. The Encyclopaedia Britannica of 1910
gives the population figure as 60,000, of whom 40,000 were Jews.)"
http://wordfromjerusalem.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/the-case-for-israel-appendix2.pdf

King Abdallah of Jordan complains several times in his memoirs about Jews acquiring land in Palestine. Not once does he accuse the Jews of stealing it from the Arabs. Each time he mentions it, the complaint is how much land they are buying:

 "... the fears of the Arab political leaders are supported by the fact that the sale of land continues unrestricted and every day one piece of land after another is torn from the hands of the Arabs.
 8 King Abdallah of Jordan, My Memoirs Completed (Al-Takmilah), Pg. 81. In a letter written to the High Commissioner for Transjordan, Sir Arthur Wauchope on July 25, 1934.

"According to my information the Jews have requested the continuance of the mandate so that they can buy up more land and bring in additional immigrants. No other country has gone through such a trial as Palestine.
 9 King Abdallah of Jordan, My Memoirs Completed (Al-Takmilah), Pg. 88. In a letter written to 'Abd al-Hamid Sa'id on June 5, 1938.

• "Of course, the Zionists bought the land from Arab landholders, who moved to cities or even left the country. They were all too willing to sell, for the price paid by the purchasers was often many times more than anyone else would or could pay." 32 Crist, Raymond E. "Land for the Fellahin, VIII: Land Tenure and Land Use in the Near East".American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Vol. 18, No. 4 (Jul., 1959). 415

"The land policy of the Zionist movement in the pre-state era was based on purchase of land on the open market by Jewish institutions (mainly the JNF) and subsequent freezing of the ownership so as to ensure that the purchased land would be in Jewish hands in perpetuity." Kretzmer, David. The Legal Status of the Arabs in Israel. Boulder: Westview Press, 1990. 50.
Middle East Piece - Jewish Land Purchase and Dispossession

What is clear is that you are a lying windbag, and no more than a mere garden variety Antisemite.

That's true, isn't it.

Posting Zionist propaganda does not make it a fact, here are the facts from source documents:

Jews owned less than 6% of the land in 1943. Per the UN commissioned Anglo-American Commission of Inquiry for the Survey of Palestine.

View attachment 104208

A Survey of Palestine Volume 2 | Berman Jewish Policy Archive @ Stanford University

And from the Partition resolution itself. UN A/364 The Arabs still owned 85% of the land:

"164. The Arab population, despite the strenuous efforts of Jews to acquire land in Palestine, at present remains in possession of approximately 85 per cent of the land. The provisions of the land transfer regulations of 1940, which gave effect to the 1939 White Paper policy, have severely restricted the Jewish efforts to acquire new land."

A/364 of 3 September 1947

But the Torah states God made a convent with the Jewish People. It is their land according to God. Or should only Muslim religious beliefs be respected?

Please be succinct and clear in your response. Thank you.
No, I certainly do not support Israel's right to exist as a Jewish theocracy. And I do not believe that people that people that practice Judaism have the right to expel native non-Jews from their lands.

The question was not qualified. Does the Jewish State of Israel have the right to exist? You clearly state no.

So do you agree since Israel does not have a right to exist that Hamas is correct and "The Jews should be driven into the sea?" Obviously there can be no two State solution in your view, but do you support the genocide of the Jewish people as well?

No, I believe that the whole of Palestine should be a secular state where the native Muslims and Christians should have rights equal to the Jews who migrated there from Europe and other lands during and after the Mandate.

What about the Jews who were there BEFORE the British Mandate?
They keep getting left out of Monte's equation that includes only Muslims and Christians.

Now that's fair...

Interesting that Obama is doing this 3 weeks before he leaves office.

Why not in 2009? Why didn't he run on this in 2008?

Arafat was offered a SOVERIGN PALESTINIAN STATE in 2000, but turned it down.

Bravo Kerry. Stating the facts.

Kerry stating that even if there is a " Two State Solution" Israel shouldn't be known as a Jewish State while. It's OK to have a Palestinian State? I agree with you. One more reason why Israel should not give in to this administrations demands.

The video was absolute propaganda. It's a false dichotomy and a propagandistic meme. No one is asking the Israelis to lay down their arms. The world is asking that the Israelis stop the oppression of millions of people. If the oppression stopped and the Muslims and Christians were treated like human beings by the Jews and allowed to exercise their civil rights a return to the land that was stolen from them, why would Israel disappear?

1. I asked this:
'Propaganda' suggests the opposite of truth. Perhaps you could point out any such content in the video.

2. "If the oppression stopped and the Muslims and Christians were treated like human beings by the Jews and allowed to exercise their civil rights a return to the land that was stolen from them,..."
Actually, I spent a few weeks in Israel this summer...and a great deal of time at Christian Holy Sites

clans and entire villages, as well as periodic incursions by rapacious Bedouin tribes...

absentee owners.

by Arab farmers.

(According to the
http://wordfromjerusalem.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/the-case-for-israel-appendix2.pdf

King Abdallah of Jordan complains several times in his memoirs about Jews acquiring land in Palestine. Not once does he accuse the Jews of stealing it from the Arabs. Each time he mentions it, the complaint is how much land they are buying:

 "... the fears of the Arab political leaders are supported by the fact that the sale of land continues unrestricted and every day one piece of land after another is torn from the hands of the Arabs.
 8 King Abdallah of Jordan, My Memoirs Completed (Al-Takmilah), Pg. 81. In a letter written to the High Commissioner for Transjordan, Sir Arthur Wauchope on July 25, 1934.

"According to my information the Jews have requested the continuance of the mandate so that they can buy up more land and bring in additional immigrants. No other country has gone through such a trial as Palestine.
 9 King Abdallah of Jordan, My Memoirs Completed (Al-Takmilah), Pg. 88. In a letter written to 'Abd al-Hamid Sa'id on June 5, 1938.

• "Of course, the Zionists bought the land from Arab landholders, who moved to cities or even left the country. They were all too willing to sell, for the price paid by the purchasers was often many times more than anyone else would or could pay." 32 Crist, Raymond E. "Land for the Fellahin, VIII: Land Tenure and Land Use in the Near East".American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Vol. 18, No. 4 (Jul., 1959). 415

"The land policy of the Zionist movement in the pre-state era was based on purchase of land on the open market by Jewish institutions (mainly the JNF) and subsequent freezing of the ownership so as to ensure that the purchased land would be in Jewish hands in perpetuity." Kretzmer, David. The Legal Status of the Arabs in Israel. Boulder: Westview Press, 1990. 50.

What is clear is that you are a lying windbag, and no more than a mere garden variety Antisemite.

That's true, isn't it.

Posting Zionist propaganda does not make it a fact, here are the facts from source documents:

Jews owned less than 6% of the land in 1943. Per the UN commissioned Anglo-American Commission of Inquiry for the Survey of Palestine.

View attachment 104208

A Survey of Palestine Volume 2 | Berman Jewish Policy Archive @ Stanford University

And from the Partition resolution itself. UN A/364 The Arabs still owned 85% of the land:

"164. The Arab population, despite the strenuous efforts of Jews to acquire land in Palestine, at present remains in possession of approximately 85 per cent of the land. The provisions of the land transfer regulations of 1940, which gave effect to the 1939 White Paper policy, have severely restricted the Jewish efforts to acquire new land."

But the Torah states God made a convent with the Jewish People. It is their land according to God. Or should only Muslim religious beliefs be respected?

No, I certainly do not support Israel's right to exist as a Jewish theocracy. And I do not believe that people that people that practice Judaism have the right to expel native non-Jews from their lands.

The question was not qualified. Does the Jewish State of Israel have the right to exist? You clearly state no.

So do you agree since Israel does not have a right to exist that Hamas is correct and "The Jews should be driven into the sea?" Obviously there can be no two State solution in your view, but do you support the genocide of the Jewish people as well?

No, I believe that the whole of Palestine should be a secular state where the native Muslims and Christians should have rights equal to the Jews who migrated there from Europe and other lands during and after the Mandate.

This is what Monte actually believes:

"Yes, Jerusalem should be 100% Christian. We have the power, why should we allow non-believers to have any authority in Jerusalem? Why do we need to be fair or accommodating? Throw out the troublemakers. Deus Vult."

You don't get tongue in cheek, do you?

The video was absolute propaganda. It's a false dichotomy and a propagandistic meme. No one is asking the Israelis to lay down their arms. The world is asking that the Israelis stop the oppression of millions of people. If the oppression stopped and the Muslims and Christians were treated like human beings by the Jews and allowed to exercise their civil rights a return to the land that was stolen from them, why would Israel disappear?

1. I asked this:

absentee owners.

by Arab farmers.

(According to the

That's true, isn't it.

View attachment 104208

What about them, that handful of Arab Jews that were in Palestine before the mandate (who were also from other place and relatively recent arrivals from Spain, for the most part), were subsumed into the European element and received full rights and were not evicted as the Muslims and Christians were. evicted.

AN INTERIM REPORT
ON THE
CIVIL ADMINISTRATION
OF
PALESTINE,
during the period
1st JULY, 1920--30th JUNE, 1921.

AN INTERIM REPORT
ON THE
CIVIL ADMINISTRATION
OF
PALESTINE.
I.--THE CONDITION OF PALESTINE AFTER THE WAR.

"The Jewish element of the population numbers 76,000. Almost all have entered Palestine during the last 40 years. Prior to 1850 there were in the country only a handful of Jews. In the following 30 years a few hundreds came to Palestine."

Mandate for Palestine - Interim report of the Mandatory to the League of Nations/Balfour Declaration text (30 July 1921)

Which proves beyond doubt how misinformed you are.

My family lived in Israel since 1888. They have documents and testimonies of the Arab treatment and how they robbed them off their ranch before setting in on fire.

And they were NOT from Spain.

Better luck next time. I'm still waiting for you to get your facts straight.

1. I asked this:

absentee owners.

by Arab farmers.

(According to the

That's true, isn't it.

View attachment 104208

What about them, that handful of Arab Jews that were in Palestine before the mandate (who were also from other place and relatively recent arrivals from Spain, for the most part), were subsumed into the European element and received full rights and were not evicted as the Muslims and Christians were. evicted.

AN INTERIM REPORT
ON THE
CIVIL ADMINISTRATION
OF

PALESTINE,

during the period
1st JULY, 1920--30th JUNE, 1921.

AN INTERIM REPORT
ON THE
CIVIL ADMINISTRATION
OF
PALESTINE.

I.--THE CONDITION OF PALESTINE AFTER THE WAR.

"The Jewish element of the population numbers 76,000. Almost all have entered Palestine during the last 40 years. Prior to 1850 there were in the country only a handful of Jews. In the following 30 years a few hundreds came to Palestine."

Mandate for Palestine - Interim report of the Mandatory to the League of Nations/Balfour Declaration text (30 July 1921)

There was a Country called " Palestine" before 1948? Tell us please where their borders were

My family lived in Israel since 1888. They have documents and testimonies of the Arab treatment and how they robbed them off their ranch before setting in on fire.

The facts are in the archives and I provided the text and the link to the official British report. And the native Palestinians were quite right to resist the Jewish invasion, as it turns out.

The facts are in the archives and I provided the text and the link to the official British report. And the native Palestinians were quite right to resist the Jewish invasion, as it turns out.
I find no historical record of your hysterical claim to your silly claim of some invasion you have imagined to a "country of Pal'istan" that never existed.

You're just making up that nonsense. What a hoot.

aren't there tensions even within Israel as to whether it can be bot a Democracy and a Jewish state?

Not at all .... the problem most non-Jews have when attempting to understand a Jewish-state is that, unlike Xtianity and Islam, Judaism is more of an culture than a religion. Jews have a primacy of culture over strict religious interpretation. A Jew can be very religious, somewhat religious, or not religious at all, and still be considered 'just as Jewish' as any other Jew. Most of the original Zionists were less than religious Jews, but culturally very Jewish indeed.

Israel was created as a Jewish state so that Jews around the world would have ONE place to go on the planet where your safety as a Jew wasn't dependent on the whims of politics or the fashionable hates of a host nation. Israel is a secular state created expressly for the purpose of protecting and fostering Jewish culture (not necessarily the Jewish religion).

Kerry to Israel: A State Cannot Be Both Jewish and Democratic

upload_2016-12-29_23-6-16.jpeg

That is exactly the same information Harry S Truman gave the Zionists in 1949 when Truman CREATED Israel,

recognition-press-release-l.jpg

Harry S Truman CROSSED OUT Jewish State.

So what the fuck is wrong with Bibi, the Chief Zionist?

Last edited:

View attachment 104410

That is exactly the same information Harry S Truman gave the Zionists in 1949 when Truman CREATED Israel,

Where DO you people come up with this nonsense?

Why didn't he cross it out twice?

He crossed out the last to emphasize the State of ISRAEL.

And it was 1948, not 1949.

I am by no means saying that Truman had the Constitutional authority to throw 1.3 million Muslims under the bus.

View attachment 104410

Where DO you people come up with this nonsense?

Why didn't he cross it out twice?

He crossed out the last to emphasize the State of ISRAEL.

And it was 1948, not 1949.

President Truman was pissed that the Zionists were mistreating Palestinian Arabs and seizing more land than authorized in 1947.

B25_01-28_01.jpg

Forum List

Back