Kemp Questioned in Oil-for-Food Probe

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
Interesting... probably the last guy I'd ever expect to be involved.

-------------
'OIL' FEDS QUIZ KEMP
By NILES LATHEM Post Correspondent

January 20, 2005 -- WASHINGTON — Former Republican vice-presidential candidate and New York Congressman Jack Kemp has been questioned by the FBI in the U.N. oil-for-food scandal, it was revealed last night. Newsweek magazine reported on its Web site that the ex-Buffalo Bills quarterback faces scrutiny about his dealings with Virginia-based oil trader Samir Vincent, who earlier this week became the first figure to be formally charged with criminal wrongdoing in the $21.3 billion global scandal. The magazine identified Kemp as the former senior U.S. government official whom the feds said Vincent contacted on behalf of Saddam Hussein in an attempt to weaken and repeal sanctions on Iraq. Former White House lawyer Lanny Davis, speaking on Kemp’s behalf, confirmed to The Post that Kemp was interviewed by the FBI in October, but, “as far as we are aware, he is not a target. He is not a subject of any kind of investigation.” Davis, a Kemp pal who was President Bill Clinton's White House counsel, said Kemp never took any money or had any business relationship with Vincent — and was not aware that Vincent was an Iraqi agent.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/21499.htm

Funny how I don't see anyone here saying anything about this. I find it interesting having heard all sortes of things as to why the french were against the war in Irak, mainly because they were involved in the oil for food program and all. I like how all these american companies, and british companies were also involed. If the French government is guilty of not having controlled enough the transactions between some of it's companies and Iraki oil, than what can be said of the American Government. You can stop feeling all moral and all because it wasn't just french companies, russian or whatever, it was also american traders and companies from the US. Case closed.

j07950 said:
Funny how I don't see anyone here saying anything about this. I find it interesting having heard all sortes of things as to why the french were against the war in Irak, mainly because they were involved in the oil for food program and all. I like how all these american companies, and british companies were also involed. If the French government is guilty of not having controlled enough the transactions between some of it's companies and Iraki oil, than what can be said of the American Government. You can stop feeling all moral and all because it wasn't just french companies, russian or whatever, it was also american traders and companies from the US. Case closed.
Well, I wont hold my breath until the french investigate and prosecute their own,

CSM said:
Well, I wont hold my breath until the french investigate and prosecute their own,
Are they? I haven't actually read anything about it, if you have I'd like to see it. I think they are investigating BNP-Parisbas but that's it I think.

j07950 said:
Are they? I haven't actually read anything about it, if you have I'd like to see it. I think they are investigating BNP-Parisbas but that's it I think.
I haven't seen anything either, which is exactly my point. That is not to say that others are NOT being investigated, but it sure seems like they are according to the media. This gives the impression that ONLY US companies and US citizens are suspect.

j07950 said:

What do you mean you dont see anyone here saying anything about this? isnt that what the original post was about? We've been discussing the oil for food scandal for months.

Also i dont think that anyone is complaining that the French government is guilty of not controling the transaction between some of its companies and Iraq. People are complaining that the government officials themselves made boatloads of money off the corruption. No one is whining that they turned a blind eye on the matter. People are outraged because they profitted off the scandal.

CSM said:
I suppose in your view, as long as Americans are prosecuted, the case IS closed. What were we saying about arrogance and hypocricy???
Of course not, thats not what I was saying. Just saying u can stop accusing the french government of not supporting the war because french companies were involved in the Oil for food program. I do hope the french government is going to prosecute whoever was involved.

What do you mean you dont see anyone here saying anything about this? isnt that what the original post was about? We've been discussing the oil for food scandal for months.

Also i dont think that anyone is complaining that the French government is guilty of not controling the transaction between some of its companies and Iraq. People are complaining that the government officials themselves made boatloads of money off the corruption. No one is whining that they turned a blind eye on the matter. People are outraged because they profitted off the scandal.
There are rumors that French officials were involved,and I've read things about it, but they were low key officials, nowhere powerful enough to do anything about it. They couldn't have in any way pressured the government to not engage in the war. If they did I'd like to see some proof. I'll be the first to recognize it if I do get some proof.

j07950 said:
Of course not, thats not what I was saying. Just saying u can stop accusing the french government of not supporting the war because french companies were involved in the Oil for food program. I do hope the french government is going to prosecute whoever was involved.
It wasn't the oil for food program (in my opinion) that influenced the French government's stance on the war; I think that most of the oil for food scandal involves individuals anyway. I think it was French corporate interests in arms/weapons/technology trade with Iraq, despite the UN resolutions and sanctions that influenced the French stance on Iraq.

Oh and we all know politicians are crooks anyway, whether they are french, american, chinese, or whatever. I hate politicians as a whole, there are some exceptions though.

j07950 said:
Oh and we all know politicians are crooks anyway, whether they are french, american, chinese, or whatever. I hate politicians as a whole, there are some exceptions though.
On that we can agree!

CSM said:
It wasn't the oil for food program (in my opinion) that influenced the French government's stance on the war; I think that most of the oil for food scandal involves individuals anyway. I think it was French corporate interests in arms/weapons/technology trade with Iraq, despite the UN resolutions and sanctions that influenced the French stance on Iraq.
See I've heard that before, but I don't see how that could influence it. The whole arm dealing thing is blown way out of proportions, because I don't see how they could have made so much money as to get the government to back them up. They would have to have made billions. I posted a while ago an article which gave a list of the top weapon comapnies that supplied Irak, and many of the top 10 companies on the list of those who'd made the most profits were american comapnies. So if the US government wasn't pressured in backing down I don't see how the french government could have thought about backing up it's own weapon companies. The war was inevitable anyway, whether France joined or not, so the buisness would go dead, no matter what.

j07950 said:
See I've heard that before, but I don't see how that could influence it. The whole arm dealing thing is blown way out of proportions, because I don't see how they could have made so much money as to get the government to back them up. They would have to have made billions. I posted a while ago an article which gave a list of the top weapon comapnies that supplied Irak, and many of the top 10 companies on the list of those who'd made the most profits were american comapnies. So if the US government wasn't pressured in backing down I don't see how the french government could have thought about backing it's own weapon companies. The war was inevitable anyway, whether France joined or not, so the buisness would go dead, no matter what.
The link you posted showed the top 10 companies PRIOR to the First Persian Gulf War. After the war, sanctiuons were put in place. NO companies were supposed to be dealing with Iraq without UN approval, especially arms companies. The French and Russian companies WERE making billions by clandestinely working in Iraq AFTER the sanctions and embargoes were in place.

CSM said:
The link you posted showed the top 10 companies PRIOR to the First Persian Gulf War. After the war, sanctiuons were put in place. NO companies were supposed to be dealing with Iraq without UN approval, especially arms companies. The French and Russian companies WERE making billions by clandestinely working in Iraq AFTER the sanctions and embargoes were in place.
Are you sure? I can't be bothered going back to find it. But anyway, some of the arms tey still had were american ones. Anyway, was it just the French and Russians? Check your figures because billions seems awfully huge, knowing in what state their army was when the US invaded Irak I don't see how they could have bought billions worth of weapons, unless they got ripped off.

gop_jeff said:
Interesting... probably the last guy I'd ever expect to be involved.

-------------
'OIL' FEDS QUIZ KEMP
By NILES LATHEM Post Correspondent

January 20, 2005 -- WASHINGTON — Former Republican vice-presidential candidate and New York Congressman Jack Kemp has been questioned by the FBI in the U.N. oil-for-food scandal, it was revealed last night. Newsweek magazine reported on its Web site that the ex-Buffalo Bills quarterback faces scrutiny about his dealings with Virginia-based oil trader Samir Vincent, who earlier this week became the first figure to be formally charged with criminal wrongdoing in the $21.3 billion global scandal. The magazine identified Kemp as the former senior U.S. government official whom the feds said Vincent contacted on behalf of Saddam Hussein in an attempt to weaken and repeal sanctions on Iraq. Former White House lawyer Lanny Davis, speaking on Kemp’s behalf, confirmed to The Post that Kemp was interviewed by the FBI in October, but, “as far as we are aware, he is not a target. He is not a subject of any kind of investigation.” Davis, a Kemp pal who was President Bill Clinton's White House counsel, said Kemp never took any money or had any business relationship with Vincent — and was not aware that Vincent was an Iraqi agent.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/21499.htm

I see "j" is at it again...

I think a little analysis of the article needs to take place.

The magazine identified Kemp as the former senior U.S. government official whom the feds said Vincent contacted on behalf of Saddam Hussein in an attempt to weaken and repeal sanctions on Iraq.

It says that Vincent contacted Kemp, not that Kemp contacted Vincent. Now, is one automatically guilty because somebody "contacted" them? It does not say that Kemp did anything. Hell, it doesn't even IMPLY that he did. How do we know that Kemp didn't tell Vincent to go fuck himself? We don't.

freeandfun1 said:
I see "j" is at it again...

I think a little analysis of the article needs to take place.

It says that Vincent contacted Kemp, not that Kemp contacted Vincent. Now, is one automatically guilty because somebody "contacted" them? It does not say that Kemp did anything. Hell, it doesn't even IMPLY that he did. How do we know that Kemp didn't tell Vincent to go fuck himself? We don't.
Nope didn't say that did I? Just talking about american companies and american traders, never talked about kemp.

j07950 said:
Nope didn't say that did I? Just talking about american companies and american traders, never talked about kemp.

Uh, we are reading about it today. Right? Maybe they never talked about hime because when he was contacted by Vincent, he did just as I suggested he might have. He might have told to the dude to take a long walk off a short pier.

CSM said:
here is one view:

http://www.cusd200.org/schools/high_schools/Publish/iraq/page5.html

The French in particular have had a long standing relationship with Iraq. Not saying that is bad but it is fact. I should also point out that it's not M-16's that the "insurgents" are toting around and it sure isn't TOW/Dragon/Javelin missiles that they fire at our troops.
I read the article but what I understood is that France is guilty of the same things as the US, prior to the gufl war in dealing weapons and all. I'm not going to talk about exports and all of oil. We we're just talking of weapons. All I see is that:"In addition French companies have signed contracts with Iraq worth more than $150 million that are suspected of being linked to its military operations." It doesn't say it was really just arms but even if it was, thats very very far from the billions you were talking about and still doesn't explain why france would back out of a war under the assumption of dealing arms. Maybee it did more arm dealing than said in this article but I'd like to see it written. As for interests in oil and all, well that kind of makes sence though, like the US now obviously is going to have oil contracts in Irak for years to come. It is a shame though that some of those contracts involed the oil for food program. I'm not goint o deny that.
A case can be made for past French interests in oil, can one be made for future US interests in iraki oil? Not an attack, just a question?

Forum List

Back