Kemp Questioned in Oil-for-Food Probe

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 5stringJeff, Jan 20, 2005.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Interesting... probably the last guy I'd ever expect to be involved.

-------------
    'OIL' FEDS QUIZ KEMP
    By NILES LATHEM Post Correspondent

January 20, 2005 -- WASHINGTON — Former Republican vice-presidential candidate and New York Congressman Jack Kemp has been questioned by the FBI in the U.N. oil-for-food scandal, it was revealed last night. Newsweek magazine reported on its Web site that the ex-Buffalo Bills quarterback faces scrutiny about his dealings with Virginia-based oil trader Samir Vincent, who earlier this week became the first figure to be formally charged with criminal wrongdoing in the $21.3 billion global scandal. The magazine identified Kemp as the former senior U.S. government official whom the feds said Vincent contacted on behalf of Saddam Hussein in an attempt to weaken and repeal sanctions on Iraq. Former White House lawyer Lanny Davis, speaking on Kemp’s behalf, confirmed to The Post that Kemp was interviewed by the FBI in October, but, “as far as we are aware, he is not a target. He is not a subject of any kind of investigation.” Davis, a Kemp pal who was President Bill Clinton's White House counsel, said Kemp never took any money or had any business relationship with Vincent — and was not aware that Vincent was an Iraqi agent.

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/21499.htm

2. j07950

j07950 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Funny how I don't see anyone here saying anything about this. I find it interesting having heard all sortes of things as to why the french were against the war in Irak, mainly because they were involved in the oil for food program and all. I like how all these american companies, and british companies were also involed. If the French government is guilty of not having controlled enough the transactions between some of it's companies and Iraki oil, than what can be said of the American Government. You can stop feeling all moral and all because it wasn't just french companies, russian or whatever, it was also american traders and companies from the US. Case closed.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Well, I wont hold my breath until the french investigate and prosecute their own,

4. j07950

j07950 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are they? I haven't actually read anything about it, if you have I'd like to see it. I think they are investigating BNP-Parisbas but that's it I think.

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I suppose in your view, as long as Americans are prosecuted, the case IS closed. What were we saying about arrogance and hypocricy???

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I haven't seen anything either, which is exactly my point. That is not to say that others are NOT being investigated, but it sure seems like they are according to the media. This gives the impression that ONLY US companies and US citizens are suspect.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,148
    What do you mean you dont see anyone here saying anything about this? isnt that what the original post was about? We've been discussing the oil for food scandal for months.

Also i dont think that anyone is complaining that the French government is guilty of not controling the transaction between some of its companies and Iraq. People are complaining that the government officials themselves made boatloads of money off the corruption. No one is whining that they turned a blind eye on the matter. People are outraged because they profitted off the scandal.

8. j07950

j07950 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Of course not, thats not what I was saying. Just saying u can stop accusing the french government of not supporting the war because french companies were involved in the Oil for food program. I do hope the french government is going to prosecute whoever was involved.

9. j07950

j07950 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are rumors that French officials were involved,and I've read things about it, but they were low key officials, nowhere powerful enough to do anything about it. They couldn't have in any way pressured the government to not engage in the war. If they did I'd like to see some proof. I'll be the first to recognize it if I do get some proof.

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    It wasn't the oil for food program (in my opinion) that influenced the French government's stance on the war; I think that most of the oil for food scandal involves individuals anyway. I think it was French corporate interests in arms/weapons/technology trade with Iraq, despite the UN resolutions and sanctions that influenced the French stance on Iraq.