Justify This Opulent Expense...... Leftist Hypocrites

Let them eat Arugula.

Michelle Antoinette is just the most conspicuous example of waste and elitist privilege run amok. Worse still are the criminals like Chris Dodd, Charlie Rangle, Maxine Waters and William Jefferson who commit what would be felonies for you and me, but to them they are 'ethics violations'.

If the press blackout ever eases over the sheer mass of corruption being just noticed on the edges of the czar's activities and imperial cabinet, this nation will be rocked by the size.

Vacation trivia from factcheck.org - betcha guys didn't know this :)

According to one count, Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush spent more time on "vacation" during their first year than President Obama did. Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton spent less time on "vacation."

FULL ANSWER

President Obama has spent all or part of 26 days "on vacation" during his first year as president, according to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller.

Knoller, who has covered every president since Gerald Ford and is known for keeping detailed records on presidential travel, counts the following among President Obama’s "vacations" in 2009:

• A four-day holiday weekend in Chicago in February where the president played some basketball and treated First Lady Michelle Obama to a Valentine’s Day dinner date.

• An eight-day stay with his family at a rented house on Martha’s Vineyard in August.

• A trip out west to the U.S. states of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona that combined both business and pleasure. The president held town hall meetings on health care during the trip. And he went fly fishing and took trips to Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Canyon with his wife and two daughters.

• An 11-day stay in Hawaii where the president and his family celebrated Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

Some of the president’s recent predecessors, however, have spent more days — either entirely or partially — away from the White House "on vacation" during their first year in office.

President Reagan, in 1981, spent all or part of 42 days away from the White House "on vacation" at his home in Santa Barbara, Calif, according to Knoller. President Reagan and his wife, Nancy, also spent three or four days around New Year’s Day each year in Palm Springs, Calif., at the home of philanthropist Walter Annenberg. (In 1993 the late Mr. Annenberg founded the nonpartisan Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania, which is FactCheck.org’s parent organization.)

President George W. Bush spent even more time away from the presidential mansion in the nation’s capital than Reagan. Of the 77 total "vacation" trips the former president made to his Texas ranch while in office, nine of them — all or part of 69 days — came during his first year as president in 2001, according to Knoller.

Bush’s father, President George H.W. Bush, spent less time "on vacation" during his first year than his son, but spent more days than President Obama. According to travel records provided to FactCheck.org by the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, the former president took six trips — spanning all or part of 40 days — to the Bush family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 1989. The archivist at Bush’s presidential library told us she didn’t have a list of all vacations but did have the Kennebunkport visits.

But at least two recent presidents — by Knoller’s count — took less "vacation" time during their first year than President Obama — Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

According to Knoller, Carter spent just 19 days "on vacation" in 1977. Most of that time, Knoller says, the former president spent at his home in Plains, Ga. President Clinton took all or part of 174 days of vacation during his eight years as president — most of that "vacation" time was during the summer, according to Knoller. But Knoller says Clinton only took 21 "vacation" days during his first year.

It’s worth mentioning that President Obama has also made 11 trips — all or part of 27 days — to Camp David, the presidential retreat in Frederick County, Md. Knoller, however, says he doesn’t count trips to Camp David as part of any presidents’ "vacation" time. But for the sake of comparison, President George W. Bush, made more trips to that country residence than Obama. According to Knoller, Bush made 25 trips — a total of 78 days — to Camp David in 2001.

But no matter how much time a president actually spends away from the official residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Knoller says that the commander in chief is never really off the clock. "I have long held the view that a US president is never really on vacation," Knoller told FactCheck.org in an e-mail. "The job - and its awesome powers and responsibilities - is his wherever he is and whatever he’s doing."​

Republican presidents appear to take more vacations (oh the taxpayer cost) than Democrat presidents.

Can't justify the expense. I'd like to know why we are paying for the reporters to be with her. Seems a bit silly to me.

I'd think the same thing if Bush was the President. We need to stop with these absurd spending sprees. The President and his family aren't royalty. They are Citizens chosen to serve the people for a time. They aren't better than the least of us.

Do you think that the First Family shouldn't be allowed to take vacations?

Not on the taxpayers dime. No.

Can't justify the expense. I'd like to know why we are paying for the reporters to be with her. Seems a bit silly to me.

I'd think the same thing if Bush was the President. We need to stop with these absurd spending sprees. The President and his family aren't royalty. They are Citizens chosen to serve the people for a time. They aren't better than the least of us.

The only part of the trip that's on the taxpayer's dime is security. Air Force One, Secret Service, etc - all for security reasons. Do you think it's unreasonable to protect the the first family?

Of course not - only if it's Obama.

2008 the economy tanked and bailouts came into being.

No change in presidential vacation schedules.

Bush spends millions of taxpayer money to go to Texa, Camp David, Kennebuckport
....as he left the White House for weekend jaunts at taxpayer expense. Bush spent less time in 8 years of his presidency in Washington than any other president.

And how many times did Bush fly to his ranch during his two terms, and how much did THAT cost taxpayers?

The right wing carping about President Obama's Saturday sojourn to New York is so altogether predictable that the only surprise would have been if they'd remained uncharacteristically silent and not made an issue out of it.

But it raises a more interesting question: Why didn't we hear one whimper of carping on all of those occasions when George W Bush flew off on Air Force One to his Texas ranch, Camp David, Kennebunkport, or wherever else he chose to go during the weekends of his presidency? If memory serves correctly, Bush spent less actual time in Washington during his two terms in office than any other president in recent history.

So why didn't we hear any complaints from the Republican side of the aisle, or the ring-wing lunatics, when Bush was spending all of those valuable taxpayer dollars on his own weekend escapades? Could it be because he was a Republican?

All other possible explanations for this apparent oversight are welcome.

This may been a year ago, but that doesn't change the fact that Bush used millions of dollars to travel around the country for weekend get-a-ways.​

The hypocrisy of all this is hysterical.

Point of fact - most Presidents work pretty damn hard at one of the highest stress jobs possible and they and their families are in constant spotlight of their critical opponants and the media.

So what if they take a freakin' vacation? They're using a great deal of their personal money to pay for it, the rest comes with the job. Screw the hypocrites intent on partisan bashing and and whether it's a Bush or an Obama - let them enjoy their vacations. I don't blame any of them and I don't envy them their jobs.

And who is on this little Euro trip? The president or his WIFE and posies.

Didn't Laura Bush make a trip with her daughters to Europe? And Africa?

Lots of posies.

I'd say almost every single one.

i'm sure your right. but if you could just give me a few examples. i've come across bush's foreign policy pledge not to be interventionsist like clinton. can you give me a few other things he crticized clinton for then continued?

Military and Intelligence spending. He criticised Clinton's military, saying it was underfunded, then proceeded to spend exactly the same amount, until 9/11.

you mean the first 8 months of his presidency?
i thought first year budgets were the last guys fault?

i'm sure your right. but if you could just give me a few examples. i've come across bush's foreign policy pledge not to be interventionsist like clinton. can you give me a few other things he crticized clinton for then continued?

Military and Intelligence spending. He criticised Clinton's military, saying it was underfunded, then proceeded to spend exactly the same amount, until 9/11.

you mean the first 8 months of his presidency?
i thought first year budgets were the last guys fault?

Sorry, I meant until Afghanistan, not 9/11.

And apparently unlike you, WE all knew that no one should take campaign promises seriously.

first off, who's WE? so basically, Obama just did a better job lying than mccain? a lot of people who don't vote got out and voted becauses they actually did believe in obama. hopefully they won't make that mistake again.

"WE" - that was in response to Sitarro's use of the word "Your boy". Guess that flew over your head.

I didn't vote for Obama, but I'm glad he won. He's doing a better job than Bush did, or McCain would have. But rhetoric is rhetoric, and anyone paying attention doesn't take it seriously.

Every President claims he's going to change "the tone", or something equally asinine.
He is doing a better job of bankrupting this country. If you think obama is better than Bush was you are a complete moron-idiot.

The only part of the trip that's on the taxpayer's dime is security. Air Force One, Secret Service, etc - all for security reasons. Do you think it's unreasonable to protect the the first family?
When you bring enough personnel to occupy Paris.... yes. If it requires so much to protect them, then they should either pony up for the extra detail OR not be allowed to go.

first off, who's WE? so basically, Obama just did a better job lying than mccain? a lot of people who don't vote got out and voted becauses they actually did believe in obama. hopefully they won't make that mistake again.

"WE" - that was in response to Sitarro's use of the word "Your boy". Guess that flew over your head.

I didn't vote for Obama, but I'm glad he won. He's doing a better job than Bush did, or McCain would have. But rhetoric is rhetoric, and anyone paying attention doesn't take it seriously.

Every President claims he's going to change "the tone", or something equally asinine.
He is doing a better job of bankrupting this country. If you think obama is better than Bush was you are a complete moron-idiot.

And you're a POOPY HEAD!!

So much for intelligent discourse.

When you bring enough personnel to occupy Paris.... yes. If it requires so much to protect them, then they should either pony up for the extra detail OR not be allowed to go.

Until you prove that all of those 40-or-so other people are being paid for on the taxpayer's dime, I'll assume that Michelle's 40 friends are paying their own way, seeing as how that's the law. The Press Corps too - they (or the sources they work for) pay their own way.

I see alot of people making excuses for this kind of spending. If they spend their own money, I don't really care where they go or what they do. But as long as my taxes are going toward it, you can believe that I don't want my money being spent on their vacation when I can't afford my own vacation.

"WASHINGTON*—* Laura Bush is focusing on education and women's issues as she begins her first solo trip overseas representing the president -- a coming out on the international stage for the first lady.

Mrs. Bush and her daughter Jenna, 20, arrived in the rainy twilight Monday evening in Paris, first stop on a 10-day tour that also includes the capitals of Hungary and the Czech Republic.

In the tradition of Eleanor Roosevelt, Pat Nixon and Hillary Clinton, Mrs. Bush was reaching beyond U.S. borders to try to affect policies. The former teacher and librarian begins Tuesday with an address on education and early childhood development to the annual forum of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development."

FOXNews.com - Laura Bush Begins Diplomatic Tour of Europe - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

they all do it, I just don't know if they all bring 50 friends along.

Oh wow. Shame on Mrs. Obama for having the audacity to use her own money to pay for a private trip.

Striaght up lies. Her own money paid for the cost for her and her kid. it did not pay for the MILLIONS it takes to bring staff, Secret service and other people with her. SHE DID NOT PAY FOR 60 rooms, SHE DID NOT PAY FOR THE PLANES, and CARS that were flown on US military cargo planes to Spain.

Talk about being dishonest.

"WASHINGTON*—* Laura Bush is focusing on education and women's issues as she begins her first solo trip overseas representing the president -- a coming out on the international stage for the first lady.

Mrs. Bush and her daughter Jenna, 20, arrived in the rainy twilight Monday evening in Paris, first stop on a 10-day tour that also includes the capitals of Hungary and the Czech Republic.

In the tradition of Eleanor Roosevelt, Pat Nixon and Hillary Clinton, Mrs. Bush was reaching beyond U.S. borders to try to affect policies. The former teacher and librarian begins Tuesday with an address on education and early childhood development to the annual forum of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development."

FOXNews.com - Laura Bush Begins Diplomatic Tour of Europe - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

they all do it, I just don't know if they all bring 50 friends along.
:clap2:

At least when she travelled, she didn't do it for the purpose of jet setting like Michele "The Pig" does.

What's also is so hypocritical is Obama's criticizing of CEOs using private jets.

Obama got a bailout?

I had to respond to this. No, he did not. He is however using Tax Payer money just like those who did. Funny how when someone you support and you feel you need to defend does something it is alright because others did it.

I would be willing to bet that when Bush was in office and did something wrong and someone pointed out how Clinton did it also you would have been the first to say quit comparing him to Clinton he is his own man.

The simple fact is when you tell the country to tighten you belt and then your wife goes on a luxury vacation in Spain it looks bad. I do not care if it was George Washington or Abraham Lincoln it still does not look good.

What would be no piggish is for the Obama's to realize the massive expense these vacations cost the taxpayers, in time of economic demise, and stay the fuck home.

Forum List

Back