Justice Department Seeks Ebonics Experts

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
DEA wants “Black English” linguists to decipher bugged calls

AUGUST 23--The Department of Justice is seeking to hire linguists fluent in Ebonics to help monitor, translate, and transcribe the secretly recorded conversations of subjects of narcotics investigations, according to federal records.

A maximum of nine Ebonics experts will work with the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Atlanta field division, where the linguists, after obtaining a “DEA Sensitive” security clearance, will help investigators decipher the results of “telephonic monitoring of court ordered nonconsensual intercepts, consensual listening devices, and other media”

Justice Department Seeks Ebonics Experts | The Smoking Gun

• Banned
Ebonics has widely been described as a nonstandard variant of English spoken largely by African Americans. John R. Rickford, a Stanford University professor of linguistics, has described it as “Black English” and noted that “Ebonics pronunciation includes features like the omission of the final consonant in words like ‘past’ (pas’ ) and ‘hand’ (han’), the pronunciation of the th in ‘bath’ as t (bat) or f (baf), and the pronunciation of the vowel in words like ‘my’ and ‘ride’ as a long ah (mah, rahd).”

Detractors reject the notion that Ebonics is a dialect, instead considering it a bastardization of the English language.

I'm not making this shit up.

• Banned
Before the libs started feeling sorry for black people, they could talk english

I heard the black community iz up in arms over dis here issue, Ya' know what I'm sayin'?

Don't be tellin' em dat dey can't talk gud cuz dey speak ebonics.

• Banned
How much longer till blacks are making those clicking sounds to communicate?

One has to wonder about the state of a nation that has to employ interpreters for Americans. I find that quite scary. And.... more importantly.... a waste of taxpayers money. If you were born in this country, speak the language of this country. End of.

One has to wonder about the state of a nation that has to employ interpreters for Americans. I find that quite scary. And.... more importantly.... a waste of taxpayers money. If you were born in this country, speak the language of this country. End of.
Yes, maybe we need a law limiting the free speech of Americans.

:lol:

Trust you to completely miss any actual point and spin it for your own partisan whine. :lol::lol:

Free speech.... Free... not paid for by me or anyone else. They are welcome to speak whatever language they want.... but they shouldn't expect special treatment at the expense of the taxpayer.

Alternatively, they could speak the language of the country they were actually born in.

Trust you to completely miss any actual point and spin it for your own partisan whine. :lol::lol:

Free speech.... Free... not paid for by me or anyone else. They are welcome to speak whatever language they want.... but they shouldn't expect special treatment at the expense of the taxpayer.

Alternatively, they could speak the language of the country they were actually born in.
:cuckoo: How exactly is spying on suspected criminals special treatment?

I'm curious...are you also against Southern Dialects? How about Michigan dialects? Brooklyn? Texas?

:cuckoo: How exactly is spying on suspected criminals special treatment?

I'm curious...are you also against Southern Dialects? How about Michigan dialects? Brooklyn? Texas?

Interesting. Do the DoJ emploly translators for those too?

Jeeeeeez, Ravi.

No one is axing for special treatment here.

In fact, drug dealers speaking ebonics would probably prefer that the DoJ does not hire an ebonic expert.

A maximum of nine Ebonics experts will work with the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Atlanta field division, where the linguists, after obtaining a “DEA Sensitive” security clearance, will help investigators decipher the results of “telephonic monitoring of court ordered nonconsensual intercepts, consensual listening devices, and other media”

Nope. Just this:

The quote feature is a useful tool and it helps to eliminate confusion. Use it you moron!
:lol: Hahaha! He did, apparently you are the only one stupid enough to be confused.

profilepic19381_1.gif

I reckon that I's confused!

Forum List

Back