Marriage and equal rights for ALL people.

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by PLYMCO_PILGRIM, Aug 24, 2010.

1. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863

My personal opinion is that single people do not have the same and equal rights as married people under the tax code therefore everyone should be taxed at an individual tax rate regardless of marriage status.

My issue comes with the "Equal Rights" part of the whole marriage and taxes equation.

Why should Gay married couples or Straight Married couples receive preferencial treatment from our government through the tax system?
    Is this not discriminatory against non-married americans?
    Why should non-married americans have to have a larger tax burden than married americans under our tax laws?

There are some questions to get a discussion going.

Debate, Discuss, and disagree if you don't like the opinion. Try to tell me why you think i'm right or wrong in my opinion.

EDIT: I am not suggesting eliminating Child Tax Credits only taxing all individuals in the same manner for fairness and equality.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. KGB

KGB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +261
    because since time immortal, marriage has been the bedrock of society. Married couples are more likely to be stable & thus contribute to society moreso as a whole. Plus, if you start taxing married couples as individuals, you will screw them over.....

3. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Take it up with your State Representative as we did here in Texas. And we've concluded that marriage is between one man and one woman. If folks don't like it, they're free to leave.

4. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,640
    wooooooosh! (that was the sound of the OP's point going over your brilliant head.)

5. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Civil Unions can give them all the same benefits as Marriage with out the Federal Government walking all over states rights to Define Marriage and only recognize those they deem to meet the definition.

6. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

Exactly...and while we're at it, explain why families with children get a tax break while requiring more public services than families without children.

7. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    The responses here have been very much where I would have gone.

Marriage is already defined, and soundly so. That means that marriage is not an option for gays unless they chose a partner of the opposite gender.

One reason taxes are lower for married couples is because there would be an added burden for a family if the taxes remained the same as for a single person. So, married couples pay a greater tax than a single person, but the combination is less as a couple. I don't think there is "preferencial treatment" I think there is fair adjustment.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,770
    I have to point out that instead of ALLOWING people to do something, we should stop DISALLOWING them. After all, we are all free to pursue happiness as we see fit and the government must make a compelling case to disallow a behavior.

In reality, the constitution already "allows" all to marry...it is the government that is the problem.

9. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Did anyone read the OP?

10. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    So Say I'm living with my friend "Friend" and we share a home (no not married just as friends)

He makes $25,000/year
    I make $55,000/year

Now you have a Wife and a Husband who live together in their home with no children.

He makes $25,000/year
    She makes $55,000/year

How is it fair that they get taxed at a lower rate on their combined income of $80,000 than either "Friend" or I would get taxed as individuals making a combined $80,000? How is that inequitable treatment by the government, under the tax code, Fair when we make the combined same amount but because they are married they have a lower tax burden?

Also, how is it an "added" burden if they are required to pay the same tax rates on their incomes as unmmaried individuals...i believe the added burden gets placed on the single people under our current setup.
    I want my equal rights to a lower tax rate that is equal to theirs ;).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010