Marriage and equal rights for ALL people.

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town

My personal opinion is that single people do not have the same and equal rights as married people under the tax code therefore everyone should be taxed at an individual tax rate regardless of marriage status.

My issue comes with the "Equal Rights" part of the whole marriage and taxes equation.

Why should Gay married couples or Straight Married couples receive preferencial treatment from our government through the tax system?
Is this not discriminatory against non-married americans?
Why should non-married americans have to have a larger tax burden than married americans under our tax laws?

There are some questions to get a discussion going.

Debate, Discuss, and disagree if you don't like the opinion. Try to tell me why you think i'm right or wrong in my opinion.

EDIT: I am not suggesting eliminating Child Tax Credits only taxing all individuals in the same manner for fairness and equality.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by stating my opinion on marriage. I feel gays, if they want to, should be allowed to get married. I also feel that non-gay people, if they want to, should be allowed to get married.

My issue comes with the "Equal Rights" part of the whole marriage and taxes equation.

Why should Gay married couples or Straight Married couples receive preferencial treatment from our government through the tax system?

Why should non-married americans have to have a larger tax burden than married americans under our tax laws?

My personal opinion is that single people do not have the same and equal rights as married people under the tax code therefore everyone should be taxed at an individual tax rate regardless of marriage status.

Debate, Discuss, and disagree if you don't like the opinion. Try to tell me why you think i'm right or wrong in my opinion.

because since time immortal, marriage has been the bedrock of society. Married couples are more likely to be stable & thus contribute to society moreso as a whole. Plus, if you start taxing married couples as individuals, you will screw them over.....

Let me preface this by stating my opinion on marriage. I feel gays, if they want to, should be allowed to get married. I also feel that non-gay people, if they want to, should be allowed to get married.

Take it up with your State Representative as we did here in Texas. And we've concluded that marriage is between one man and one woman. If folks don't like it, they're free to leave.

Take it up with your State Representative as we did here in Texas. And we've concluded that marriage is between one man and one woman. If folks don't like it, they're free to leave.

wooooooosh! (that was the sound of the OP's point going over your brilliant head.)

Civil Unions can give them all the same benefits as Marriage with out the Federal Government walking all over states rights to Define Marriage and only recognize those they deem to meet the definition.

Exactly...and while we're at it, explain why families with children get a tax break while requiring more public services than families without children.

The responses here have been very much where I would have gone.

Marriage is already defined, and soundly so. That means that marriage is not an option for gays unless they chose a partner of the opposite gender.

One reason taxes are lower for married couples is because there would be an added burden for a family if the taxes remained the same as for a single person. So, married couples pay a greater tax than a single person, but the combination is less as a couple. I don't think there is "preferencial treatment" I think there is fair adjustment.

I have to point out that instead of ALLOWING people to do something, we should stop DISALLOWING them. After all, we are all free to pursue happiness as we see fit and the government must make a compelling case to disallow a behavior.

In reality, the constitution already "allows" all to marry...it is the government that is the problem.

The responses here have been very much where I would have gone.

Marriage is already defined, and soundly so. That means that marriage is not an option for gays unless they chose a partner of the opposite gender.

One reason taxes are lower for married couples is because there would be an added burden for a family if the taxes remained the same as for a single person. So, married couples pay a greater tax than a single person, but the combination is less as a couple. I don't think there is "preferencial treatment" I think there is fair adjustment.

So Say I'm living with my friend "Friend" and we share a home (no not married just as friends)

He makes $25,000/year
I make $55,000/year

Now you have a Wife and a Husband who live together in their home with no children.

He makes $25,000/year
She makes $55,000/year

How is it fair that they get taxed at a lower rate on their combined income of $80,000 than either "Friend" or I would get taxed as individuals making a combined $80,000? How is that inequitable treatment by the government, under the tax code, Fair when we make the combined same amount but because they are married they have a lower tax burden?

Also, how is it an "added" burden if they are required to pay the same tax rates on their incomes as unmmaried individuals...i believe the added burden gets placed on the single people under our current setup.
I want my equal rights to a lower tax rate that is equal to theirs ;).

Last edited:
Did anyone read the OP?
With PP, you have to correct one mistake at a time.

Translation: "I obviously did not read it"

I have to point out that instead of ALLOWING people to do something, we should stop DISALLOWING them. After all, we are all free to pursue happiness as we see fit and the government must make a compelling case to disallow a behavior.

In reality, the constitution already "allows" all to marry...it is the government that is the problem.

In reality the constitution does not allow, nor does it not disallow, marriage for anyone. It does not discuss marriage.

Also, in reality, this thread is not about allowing or disallowing marriage. Like I said you did not read what I was asking about.

Last edited:
Did anyone read the OP?

Not past your first paragraph.

The reason married couples and couples with children get tax breaks is because it is in the best interests of society to have healthy families.

Now, you are free to redefine what a healthy family is in order to include you and your non-boyfriend boyfriend.

Not past your first paragraph.

The reason married couples and couples with children get tax breaks is because it is in the best interests of society to have healthy families.

Now, you are free to redefine what a healthy family is in order to include you and your non-boyfriend boyfriend.

I stated that the married couple in my example does not have children. You really didn't read what I wrote....please re-read it slower this time.

Why is it ok for a married couple, without children, to pay a lower tax rate than an individual without a child?

Last edited:
What part of and don't you understand?

Ah yes it says married couples AND married couples with children in your post.

So....now that we got that out of the way do you have an answer?

Why do you find it acceptable that married couples, without children, get to pay a lower overall tax burden while single individuals do not get equal treatment under the laws?

As I am Catholic, my view of marriage is that it is a sacrament and nothing to do with the state or federal government or anyone else.

I don't care what gays or anyone else do. I care only about being married in the eyes of God. That is my belief and, as an American, it is my right to hold that belief and practice it without interference. Do what the fuck you want.... just leave the Churches out of it.

Forum List

Back