Just the facts.

mdjgirl7

Sep 5, 2008
OK this is what I am looking for how about in this thread we have no bickering not calling anyone any names. Give me just the facts of what each candidate stands for in these topics

1 Health Care

2 Tax

3 Military

5 Abortion

6 Gay marriage

7 illegal immigrants

8 Natural alternative to oil.

9 Social Security

10 education

11 the bailout

Please be able to back your post up with a link but don't just post links tell us what you come up with.

Just the facts.

OK this is what I am looking for how about in this thread we have no bickering not calling anyone any names. Give me just the facts of what each candidate stands for in these topics

1 Health Care

2 Tax

3 Military

5 Abortion

6 Gay marriage

7 illegal immigrants

9 Social Security

10 education

11 the bailout

Please be able to back your post up with a link but don't just post links tell us what you come up with.

Just the facts.

you may want to post those one at a time. otherwise we get novel-length posts.

1 Health Care
Obama offers a government health insurance agency that people can buy into. No specifics have been given about what the premiums might cost, but Obama promises they will be lower than what we pay now. Offers small businesses an opportunity to write-off healthcare expenses for employees as tax write offs. This is not something currently in the law and would help a business achieve a lower net income to fall into a smaller tax bracket. Obama belives health insurance companies will have to lower their premiums to compete with the government health insurance.

McCain offers a tax credit of $2500 a year for an individual and $5000 a year for a family for healthcare. Also plans to re-write the laws allowing health insurance companies to offer their services nationally instead of a state-by-state basis.

While both plans offer to lessen how expensive healthcare is for us right now, neither plan addresses the people without health insurance who aren't employed.

2 Tax
Obama will cut taxes for all income brackets up to $200,000 a year for individuals and $250,000 a year for families. All incomes above those brackets will see their taxes return to what they were under Bill Clinton.

Offers to eliminate all capital gains taxes for small businesses. All capital gains taxes will return to 20% for net income above $200,000 a year for individuals and $250,000 a year for families.

3 Military
Obama wants to withdraw our troops as soon as possible from Iraq and increase the amount of troops in Afghanistan.

McCain opposes any withdrawl of US troops from Iraq and wants to increase the amount of troops in Afghanistan.

There is currently a deal between the US and Iraq that needs to be approved by Iraqi parliament that would require US troops to leave Iraq by 2011. Obama has said he would support this bill, John McCain has said he would not.

5 Abortion
Obama is pro-choice for abortions for all trimesters.
McCain is pro-life and thinks Roe v. Wade should be overturned.

6 Gay marriage
Obama does not support gay marriage, but supports homosexual couples having the same rights as heterosexual married couples. This would be most likely in the form of civil unions.

John McCain is against gay marriage and civil unions.

7 illegal immigrants
I don't know any of their stances on this.

Both officially support clean coal, wind, solar, natural gas, biofuels.

9 Social Security
John McCain has flip-flopped on whether or not he would have people invest part of their social security in the stock market. He was originally against it, then he was for it, now he's against it.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Seniors | Social Security

10 education
Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Education
JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008

11 the bailout
Both voted for it. John McCain wants to spend $300 billion extra to buy up all of the bad mortgages. Obama opposes this and feels the bailout bill gives the treasury this authority already under the $700 billion we've already spent.

Here are Bob Barr's positions.

1 Health Care
Bob Barr believes that, "Controls which unduly restrict competition within the health care industry, and that limit access to insurance across state lines, should be ended." Barr believes that less regulation and more free market principles will help consumers find more affordable health care.

2 Tax
The first step to tax reform is to reign in government spending, which a recent study by the National Taxpayers Union shows that Bob Barr will cut by $200 billion per year. Bob Barr will lower taxes by getting rid of some such as the estate tax, the capital gains tax, etc. Would work to repeal the 16th Amendment so that the government may no longer tax American's for the work that they do.

3 Military
Bob Barr would begin withdrawing troops from Iraq as soon as possible, and cut back on the economic support we give to the Iraqi government. He would stop policing the world and engaging in nation building, and would bring all troops from across the globe back to America.

5 Abortion
The power to regulate abortion is not given to the federal government in the Constitution, therefore it is not in their power to make it legal or illegal across the nation. Bob Barr would repeal Roe v. Wade as it is un-Constitutional, and leave the decision up to the individual states.

6 Gay marriage
Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that the federal government has the right to regulate marriage, therefore, as per the 10th Amendment, it should be left to the discretion of the individual states whether they allow this.

7 illegal immigrants
Bob Barr would end government benefits and services for illegal immigrants. Also, by bringing troops home from around the world there would be more soldiers available to protect our borders from those who seek to enter illegally. Barr would also seek to end birthright citizenship.

Barr believes that Congress should allow us to use more of our domestic resources, while removing government regulation and subsidies from the oil market. Let the free market reign.

9 Social Security
Create Private Accounts for Social Security, Says Bob Barr — Bob Barr 2008

10 education
Parents should have authority on their children's schooling, without government interference. Bob Barr will take control of education from the federal government and put it back in the hands of the state and local governments by eliminating the Dept. of Education, and ending federal regulations on schooling.

11 the bailout
Bob Barr opposed the bailouts, and would look into prosecuting those who committed fraud and led us into this crisis.

11 the bailout
Both voted for it. John McCain wants to spend $300 billion extra to buy up all of the bad mortgages. Obama opposes this and feels the bailout bill gives the treasury this authority already under the $700 billion we've already spent.

John McCain wants to spend 300 billion FROM the 700 billion for that NOT add 300 billion. You may want to check your facts.

why don't you check your facts, you idiot? he said this was ADDITIONAL bailout money.

No he did not, I checked that out the day it was brought up his quote was to use 300 of the 700 already approved. You made the claim back it up. Provide us the quote where he said he wanted another 300 billion.

John McCain proposes $300 billion US housing market bail-out - Telegraph

The $300bn bail-out would be implemented using authority granted in the $700bn financial sector rescue plan pushed through Congress last week.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iZlX-oPUxq61CtVONwtfxDUMRPDw

It suggested that the funds laid out in the 700-billion dollar Wall Street bailout plan approved by Congress on Friday could be used for this plan.

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/articleview/7581/

Exactly one month after the Wall Street meltdown, after weeks of pretending the "fundamentals of the economy are strong," John McCain finally offered a plan on resolving the crisis. During the final presidential debate, John McCain said, "we have allocated $750 billion. Let's take 300 of that billion [sic] and go in and buy those home loan mortgages and negotiate with those people in their homes, 11 million homes or more, so that they can afford to pay the mortgage, stay in their home.

DavidS said...

why don't you check your facts, you idiot? he said this was ADDITIONAL bailout money.

Shall we all hold our breath waiting for him to admit he was wrong?

Last edited:
The $700 billion was supposed to bailout the banks. That's how much bad debt they had. This had nothing to do with bailing out homeowners. Obama's plan wants banks to rengotiate with homeowners so the bank doesn't lose out on all of the money. Under McCain's plan, we sidestep the bank and the government gives a loan to the homeowner. But who helps the bank? The bank fails? That's not good.

Last edited:
The $700 billion was supposed to bailout the banks. That's how much bad debt they had.

Man, maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake. John McCain proposed using $300 billion of the bailout money to buy up bad mortgages after he signed and helped pass a bill that would use $700 billion to bailout bad mortgages? What do we do with the $300 billion that the banks were supposed to get then?

It hurts to think.

Just admit you were wrong and move on. It really is much easier.

But to this point, we are bailing out the banks so they have money to lend, using 300 billion ( which I also agree is not enough) would do just that by buying up the face value morgages, GIVING the banks the MONEY. Pretty simple concept, I think even you can understand it?

Just admit you were wrong and move on. It really is much easier.

I cannot do that. I don't have all the facts.

But to this point, we are bailing out the banks so they have money to lend, using 300 billion ( which I also agree is not enough) would do just that by buying up the face value morgages, GIVING the banks the MONEY. Pretty simple concept, I think even you can understand it?

Ok, the banks have $700 billion in debt. The government is going to give the banks $700 billion so they have no more debt. The government will then say "We want you to loan money to the people who defaulted on a loan." The bank says "Ok, no problem. But you have to guarantee the loan." The government says "Ok, no problem." Where is the government getting that money from if the government just paid the banks $700 billion to bail them out? The government would need more money to do this, i.e. $300 billion.

Also, what happens to the old loans the banks made but the people defaulted on?

Obama's plan is so much smarter. The bank is an average of $250,000 in debt on a $500,000 loan. Obama says "Give them a new loan with a loan, fixed interest rate for $250,000 and we'll cover the rest of the money." The government spends $250,000 instead of $500,000, the homeowner stays in his home, the bank and the government both make money.

I cannot do that. I don't have all the facts.

Ok, the banks have $700 billion in debt. The government is going to give the banks $700 billion so they have no more debt. The government will then say "We want you to loan money to the people who defaulted on a loan." The bank says "Ok, no problem. But you have to guarantee the loan." The government says "Ok, no problem." Where is the government getting that money from if the government just paid the banks $700 billion to bail them out? The government would need more money to do this, i.e. $300 billion.

Also, what happens to the old loans the banks made but the people defaulted on?

Obama's plan is so much smarter. The bank is an average of $250,000 in debt on a $500,000 loan. Obama says "Give them a new loan with a loan, fixed interest rate for $250,000 and we'll cover the rest of the money." The government spends $250,000 instead of $500,000, the homeowner stays in his home, the bank and the government both make money.

Keep digging. IF we buy up 300 billion dollars of the bad debt FROM the banks, guess what? They got the money? Ohh and the 750 is not necassarily to give to banks, the legislation allows many uses for it as the Government sees fit to solve the crisis.

And you have McCains OWN words in the third link provided. I can provide more links if you want. It wasn't that hard to find the page with a long list of links to the story. So what facts are you missing?

The fact you claimed he wanted another 300 billion when he never said that? Keep right on digging. Or is it squirming?

1 Health Care

2 Tax

3 Military

5 Abortion

6 Gay marriage

7 illegal immigrants

9 Social Security

10 education

11 the bailout

Just the facts.

You should ask yourself, "Do I want more government involvement in my life or less".

If you want more government involvement in your life vote for Obama.

If you want less vote for McCain.

That being said I'll give you quick answers on each topic:

1 Health Care

Essentially McCain wants to give each person $2500.00 or $5,000.00 to spend on insurance. However any insurance you currently receive from an employer would be taxed. In my case I would come out ahead with McCain's plan.

Obama wants more government involvement in health care. To be honest I don't understand his plan as it has changed a lot but anything the government becomes involved in is all I need to know.

2 Tax

Obama says he wants to give a tax cut to 95% of tax filers and increase taxes on anyone making over $200,000.

McCain wants to give a tax cut to everyone but not as big as Obama.

What Obama doesn't tell you:

a. 40% of tax filers do not pay Federal Tax so their "tax cit" would actual be a check from the government or in other words welfare.

b. Obama will allow the Bush tax cuts to expire which means everyones taxes will go up.

c. Obama wants to double the capital gains tax which means less people will invest in the stock market or proft making activities.

d. Small business will be hurt as many small businesses will be effected by his tax increase which means less new jobs.

e. He wants to increase spending by one trillion so the tax increases he proposes do not come any where near covering his tax cuts and spending so he'll have to tax someone or break promises he's made on spending.

3 Military

A very broad subject so not sure what the question is.

5 Abortion

I don't think it will matter who is President on this issue. It will stay the same.

6 Gay marriage

Both are against it.

7 illegal immigrants

McCain is for securing the borders and then figuring out what to do from there.

I believe Obama wants all illegal immigrants covered under his health care plan.

McCain is for an all of the above approach to energy. Obama is against off shre drilling and nuclear.

9 Social Security

There both for it. :D

10 education

Obama will be beholden to teacher unions. I know McCain is for vouchers.

11 the bailout

McCain wants to use 300 of the 700 billion to help actual distressed homeowners.

You should ask yourself, "Do I want more government involvement in my life or less".

If you want more government involvement in your life vote for Obama.

If you want less vote for McCain.

McCain wants less than Obama, but not much less. Bob Barr is the only candidate running for limited government.

Forum List

Back