Just curious

What's said online is catching up to what shows up in printed mediums legally. But more and more what we say online is resulting in our being held legally responsible and accountable as with Twitter and Facebook rants and slurs and bullying. Can envision sites allowing such things to eventually become libel for slander providing the medium like. Not like you need to be able to win to get sued :)

One guy somewhere else chatted recently that his son is going to school to be a mortician. One not-very-nice-guy then claimed the kid (his son just finished high school) was a necrophiliac. Why else would someone choose to take care of the deceased?
I found that disgusting. I also find it disgusting that one gal here is constantly called a crack whore that sells herself.
Now, humor me for a minute. Let's say this lady gets in a car wreck, her family looks on her computer to let her friends know she has passed, and they find comments that she is a crack whore? Or...the person that constantly calls her this, takes it further...and not announcing it...and stalks until he finds her real name and location and contacts child protective services? Is this board not responsible in some way for allowing that to take place here?

Sure, calling people dick, asshole, tard, moron, stupid, idiot, c word, snot, crazy, liar, etc etc etc...but crack whore and pedophile are the same in the disgust department. And....the net is going through changes as we speak. One guy I know sued another for defamation. Go Daddy was sued too. The guy won. Over a mil, if I remember correctly.

Well, you can try all you want to have people be sensible, but you can't really legislate decency.

I think that, on the whole, CK's system here is a damned good one, far better than what I have seen elsewhere. But a couple of tweaks would maybe not be a bad idea, esp. Gracie's one suggestion and the software suggestion, which would actually save the mods and admin unneccessary extra work. Think about it.

Well, you can try all you want to have people be sensible, but you can't really legislate decency.

I think that, on the whole, CK's system here is a damned good one, far better than what I have seen elsewhere. But a couple of tweaks would maybe not be a bad idea, esp. Gracie's one suggestion and the software suggestion, which would actually save the mods and admin unneccessary extra work. Think about it.
writing custom plug-ins takes some time and with this issue rarely occuring it really isn't worth the time investment. Plus keep in mind everytime we update the software we'd have to redo the plug-in..ughhhhhh!! :(

Just make sure you cover your own ass, CK. Wouldn't want you or the host of this board to be found liable if nutbars take things further and it all started here, ya know? Lawyers are getting hungry, and the net is relatively new with laws coming into play on how one uses any kind of social media.

And the other thing you might wanna mull over is the crack whore thing. Calling her a turd, an asshole, a bitch, a skank...schoolyard stuff. Consider the source. But calling her a crack whore non stop and she has a child? And this same dork contributes NOTHING to this board at all....not in fun threads, not in sports threads, not in recipe threads, not in political threads, not in book threads...you get the picture, right?....he only comes popping his nasty head out to continually go on the same track of labeling her in one thread mostly. Every time. What asset is he?

Other troll-like people here at least take a break and go in the Tavern to chat, or the coffeeshop or cheers or anywhere, actually. This one? Nope. He has one focus.

Maybe Crack Whore should be a no no just like pedophile is.

What's said online is catching up to what shows up in printed mediums legally. But more and more what we say online is resulting in our being held legally responsible and accountable as with Twitter and Facebook rants and slurs and bullying. Can envision sites allowing such things to eventually become libel for slander providing the medium like. Not like you need to be able to win to get sued :)

Do you have case law, law review articles and other authoritative material? I would be very interested in how this applies to social media sites such as USMB.

Just to try to make it clearer....I'm gonna use Stat cuz he won't mind :).

And remember..this is just an example. Stat is a pal of mine. But he is great for experiments and examples. :lol:

Let's say I put Stat on ignore. Gracie then tells the mods Stat is on ignore and Stat better not @ me cuz I will cry. So..mods inform Stat that I cried about him and have him on ignore. He is informed. However, Gracie continues to talk about Stat whenever she can...and not in a good way. So this means Gracie gets some flimsy pansy-assed protection but can still bash the fuck out of Stat from the safety of a mod's underskirt...or pants.

Right?

You don't have to @ mention, PM or VM Stat to bash the fuck out of him (or anyone) even if they have you on ignore....you just can't PM, VM or @Mention Stat. You can talk about Stat in response to someone else's post (if someone quotes him and you can read his post.)

You can even respond to his posts, since you are able to view his posts, but then your "ignore whine" is flimsy at best, if you are viewing his posts. At least, that's the way I understand it. If I'm wrong....then someone should explain it cause that's what I'm going with.

Last edited:
Just to try to make it clearer....I'm gonna use Stat cuz he won't mind :).

And remember..this is just an example. Stat is a pal of mine. But he is great for experiments and examples. :lol:

Let's say I put Stat on ignore. Gracie then tells the mods Stat is on ignore and Stat better not @ me cuz I will cry. So..mods inform Stat that I cried about him and have him on ignore. He is informed. However, Gracie continues to talk about Stat whenever she can...and not in a good way. So this means Gracie gets some flimsy pansy-assed protection but can still bash the fuck out of Stat from the safety of a mod's underskirt...or pants.

Right?

Stat is a bit of a douche, so it's good you used him.

but yea, dems da rulz

I think you can thank bdboop for these idiotic rules. she bitched so much about how hardcore we were they changed a lot of rules, created the kiddy zone and basically make us all play nice with each other.

Ever notice the FZ sucks now? it's b/c all the best flamers left over these rules.

but on the plus side, a bunch of limp wristed whiners joined.

You can still go find another Forum that lets you vent all you want with all the foul words in your vocabulary....if this place sucks to you....you are kinda dumb to stay, don't you think?

Stat is a bit of a douche, so it's good you used him.

but yea, dems da rulz

I think you can thank bdboop for these idiotic rules. she bitched so much about how hardcore we were they changed a lot of rules, created the kiddy zone and basically make us all play nice with each other.

Ever notice the FZ sucks now? it's b/c all the best flamers left over these rules.

but on the plus side, a bunch of limp wristed whiners joined.

I did, huh. Wow, I just have all the power.

Of course that doesn't explain how most of the changes and and flames leaving happened in my absence - but don't let that stop you. :cuckoo:

you left b/c you got caught talking shit about a member of usmb on another board, but usmb members caught your ass and flamed you off. even you fellow leftist hated on you for being such a c-bomb

true story twatty.

And here you are discussing why a member was banned....I thought that was against the rules....maybe somebody should flame you off, too?

writing custom plug-ins takes some time and with this issue rarely occuring it really isn't worth the time investment. Plus keep in mind everytime we update the software we'd have to redo the plug-in..ughhhhhh!! :(

[MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION]
Maybe you just need to add a rule that when you put someone on ignore it is up to you to PM them and advice them they are on ignore. Then, if they @mention, pm or VM you after you have notified them, your copy of the PM sent to the Mods should be enough for them to infract the person for violating the rule. If the person has their PM's turned off, then you should send a PM to the mods for them to forward your PM to that person. That seems easy enough.

Maybe you just need to add a rule that when you put someone on ignore it is up to you to PM them and advice them they are on ignore. Then, if they @mention, pm or VM you after you have notified them, your copy of the PM sent to the Mods should be enough for them to infract the person for violating the rule. If the person has their PM's turned off, then you should send a PM to the mods for them to forward your PM to that person. That seems easy enough.

Wouldn't it just be easier to allow people to turn off the @ function, or make it like PM/VM where you can opt to only receive them from people on your friends list??

One guy somewhere else chatted recently that his son is going to school to be a mortician. One not-very-nice-guy then claimed the kid (his son just finished high school) was a necrophiliac. Why else would someone choose to take care of the deceased?
I found that disgusting. I also find it disgusting that one gal here is constantly called a crack whore that sells herself.
Now, humor me for a minute. Let's say this lady gets in a car wreck, her family looks on her computer to let her friends know she has passed, and they find comments that she is a crack whore? Or...the person that constantly calls her this, takes it further...and not announcing it...and stalks until he finds her real name and location and contacts child protective services? Is this board not responsible in some way for allowing that to take place here?

Sure, calling people dick, asshole, tard, moron, stupid, idiot, c word, snot, crazy, liar, etc etc etc...but crack whore and pedophile are the same in the disgust department. And....the net is going through changes as we speak. One guy I know sued another for defamation. Go Daddy was sued too. The guy won. Over a mil, if I remember correctly.

If we choose to go on-line we should know the risks. One of the risks on these forums is being called every name in the book and suffering every vile insult known to man. We all benefit from an open net. We all experience blow-back from that openness. We're all subject to it's inherent attributes, such as digital permanence. It's caveat emptor squared.

Crack Whore seems particularly offensive to you. I can sympathize, there are things said in these forums that make me want to knock heads. But if they start censoring insults that really really really piss off a particular individual user and punish the insulter it's going to be a lonely quiet place.

I agree Smedly. I was just curious why one word (pedophile) is a no no...and usually pertains to men.....but crack whore is okey dokey. And no...crack whore is not particularly offensive to me because most are offensive from "men" towards women...and what "women" say to men. Goes both ways.

But if one "title" is offensive due to it potentially causing legal problems, then the other is just as damaging.

And.....this is something everyone needs to consider. NEVER tell too much about yourself. Ever. Someone will just make shit up about you anyway and pass it on as truth.

Wouldn't it just be easier to allow people to turn off the @ function, or make it like PM/VM where you can opt to only receive them from people on your friends list??

Well, that would require software changes and I think that is what CK was trying to avoid.

Do you have case law, law review articles and other authoritative material? I would be very interested in how this applies to social media sites such as USMB.

currently

zimmermans parents are suing Roseanne Barr over some of her

twitter comments

Orlando Sentinel

How about a brand new thread in the forum, call it the Opt Out @ list and those that do not want to be on said list can post such. Not that everyone will pay attention but if they do it anyway, they will just have a dead thread cuz nobody will post in it.

Connery is a lawyer. I forgot about that but since he posted in this thread, I was reminded. He should know the laws are changing on the net and "freedom of speech" only goes so far. Ya can't stand in a crowded theater and scream FIRE nor can you be on a plane and yell BOMB.
Some things, you just cannot say. And the net is just a new frontier.
I thought it crazy that the guy that sued go daddy and another poster, won. This was quite a few years ago, too.

Speaking of.....the guy that said the other guys kid was a necropheliac? That guy stalks. And hunts. He knows where this man lives, his kids names, etc. Wouldn't be too hard to find the job this kid has (he is already working with the mortician while in school as well...like an apprentice, I think). And yes, he will contact that employer if he hasn't already. It started on a message board. It will end in a courtroom, probably.

One gal got fired from her job because someone on a message board was talking about a client. Someone turned her in, sent the link, and poof. Job all gone.

Another one called the employer of a gal's husband to try to get him fired. Another, the admin of the board contacted the husband of the wife who left the husband for another guy just for the gossip it would create...and the hits to the board.

Oh, I could go on and on but I won't. All this crap was going on....then the one dude that sued got a really good lawyer...and won. People gotta be careful what they say now. And what they do. And what they allow. Crazies out there that WILL go the extra mile to fuck with you any way they can...and the consequences hit everyone involved. Even where it first started..which was on the message boards.

Forum List

Back