Just a little bit

Cut the guy some slack, edick

I thought I did, Tank.

Truth is the best cut of slack there is, Tank.

The guy is obviously slightly less dependent on civilization than most of us.

Good for him.

why is living off the grid wacko?

perhaps to you nyers it is....but he is just living the way a lot of people elect to live....esp in alaska and other areas....

i dont believe a word he is saying..but the lifestyle is not wacko

People that suck the government teet can't even imagine a person being independent.

of information about myself:

I put my money where my mouth is. For me, this means living a simple life "off grid". Here in Alaska, that means I live where there is no electric power or other "provided" services. I heat using propane and wood. That means I cut and process most of the fuel I use to heat and cook. The propane heater keeps the house warm and protects from freezing while I am at work after the wood-burning stove burns down. I use a wind-solar hybrid system to charge the batteries that run my 12 VDC electric system. I do not have dish or cable TV. In fact, the only time I see TV is when I visit friends.
I raise my own food. I keep a root cellar and smoke meat to keep. I raise both vegetables and animals. I have milk from my goats and eggs from my chickens. I raise grass-fed beef and some of the best pork around. I sell what I do not use myself. We have mead, meat, canned fruits and veggies all Winter.
I live with the cycles of Nature and enjoy every season.
I hunt, fish, and trap animals that serve my needs.

I love my life and am pleased that I am able to make what I need from what I have.​
Welcome to USMB, gallantwarrior. I hope you like our forum. I live in the hill country of Texas, just planted fruit trees in Feb, though. I post from a window overlooking the lake below, where a great egret lives most of the year. A large heron also occupies the other side of the lake, and depending on their mood, chase each other off every once in a while. I'm not sure which wins the turf war, but I win every time one of them flies. They're astonishing creatures. A hawk with a reddish chest just landed on the fence, darn, where are my glasses. Wow, he's big. And he's off! lol

hr2221203-10x700.jpg

Last edited:
The one that got away--This hawk looks like the one I saw today, but without my glasses on, I can't be totally sure. The shape and color, though are exact to this one:

Cooper's Hawk
1_Coopers-Hawk-cover.jpg

credits here
Pardon my obsession with liking to know which bird I saw. I love all of them, small, large, threatened, common, all of them. I even love to watch the vultures flying. They are ever so graceful in flight. Most people just think of them by their table manners. Sorry, I see a beautiful spread of wings, a personality, and beautiful life in every bird, reminding me of the diversity bestowed on this planet.

Nice looking place, freedombecki. I like identifying birds, too. We have some pretty neat birds up here. I especially like taking my grandchildren and our field manuals out on hikes. I also encourage them to keep journals. Right now, they are at Ft Hood, waiting for their Daddy to come back home.

Nice looking place, freedombecki. I like identifying birds, too. We have some pretty neat birds up here. I especially like taking my grandchildren and our field manuals out on hikes. I also encourage them to keep journals. Right now, they are at Ft Hood, waiting for their Daddy to come back home.
That's great. I lived in Ft. Richardson AK one year when I was in the 3rd grade, in the 50s. Brrrr! I'm glad your grand kids are encouraged to keep journals on the wildlife they see. Someday their notes could contribute a lot to future people who may not be so lucky to see the diversity we still have on earth at present.

Do you have satellite internet??

No satellite here, either. I have what used to be referred to as an edge card. I get internet through my cell phone provider. It's pretty sketchy sometimes, but it is what it is. I expect better when G3 gets expanded out this way. I do have radio. Shortwave is a hoot, too. The men dominate mornings. The women take over after the guys get out and get to work. Lots of great information, and on a very personal level, too!

Technically.......if you have a cell phone (which has GPS) and you are connected to the internet via a card (trackable address), you are actually ON the grid.

Now, if you get rid of your cell phone and only post from a Starbucks internet cafe about 3 towns over, THEN maybe you could say you were off the grid.

I hope your logic about what is and isn't true gets better.

Hey, I just saw this and realized gallantwarrior was posting on here.

I know this person from a local forum in Alaska. I am familiar with the general area where this person lives.

This is not a whacko lifestyle, it's a rural Alaskan lifestyle that some people choose up here.

As a young woman I lived on a homestead with my first husband. We had no electricity, no running water. We used wood heat. I had a record player that could run off a 12-volt battery. No television. Couldn't get any radio stations where we were located. We hunted moose and planted a garden. Sure we went to town and bought stuff, too, for convenience and for fun. But if Armageddon had happened we would have been perfectly capable of surviving with no outside help.

This sort of lifestyle may seem unbelievable to you, but it's not that bizarre of a concept in Alaska. Gallantwarrior is not bullshitting you about his/her lifestyle in any way.

As for myself, I'm a city girl. I enjoyed the experience of living on the homestead for a few years, but now I prefer the modern comforts. But I still remember all I learned living in Native villages growing up and those few years on the homestead with my first husband. All that knowledge will be there if I ever find myself thrust into a real survival situation.

But don't y'all try coming around our camps and stealing our food if the shit hits the fan. We all have guns and we know how to use them! : )

Last edited:
Sitting here watching my Skystream spinning around. Pretty windy. I'll probably earn a few bucks from Da Man over the next few months (grid tied). Got a few hams in the brine for the next week. Roasting some cashews Sat or Sun to put on some Tilapia I'll snatch from the pond.
Alaska is beautiful but I'm allergic to long pants.

You made a wise choice and soon enough you'll be very, very happy you did.
I'll trade you a few bushels of Papaya and Guanabana for some King Crab ?

Oh, and another thing...you can nitpick all you want about cell phones and this or that not being off the grid...

But the truth is, he/she lives a more self-reliant, autonomous lifestyle than most of you ever will. And should circumstances require Gallantwarrior to be totally off the grid, or if "the grid" itself fails, he/she will survive better than any of you.

Oh, and another thing...you can nitpick all you want about cell phones and this or that not being off the grid...

But the truth is, he/she lives a more self-reliant, autonomous lifestyle than most of you ever will. And should circumstances require Gallantwarrior to be totally off the grid, or if "the grid" itself fails, he/she will survive better than any of you.

Wanna bet? Grew up in the mountains of Montana, then spent 20 years in the US Navy.

I think I'd be able to survive pretty well.

Like I give a shit.

so? :cuckoo:

Wanna bet? Grew up in the mountains of Montana, then spent 20 years in the US Navy.

I think I'd be able to survive pretty well.

I should have said she will survive better than MOST of you. There are exceptions, and you may well be one of those exceptions.

Although my dear, departed ex-husband spent 20 years in the Navy also (retired Chief) and I would think I am a better survivalist than he was. But you have the right kind of onnery attitude that survival sometimes requires. : )

Last edited:

so? :cuckoo:

You have no survival instinct? Wow. Well, if something really bad comes down, just fold up and die, then. Leaves more food and resources for the rest of us. :cool:

Like I give a shit.

Aw, come on Dabs! You have no survival instinct either?

People like gallantwarrior are the ones running around digging other people out of the rubble in a major earthquake or whatever. They're not accustomed to relying on the government or whatever to come in and save them, they strive to be self-sufficient.

They're the kind of people I want to be around if the shit hits the fan.

Forum List

Back