Just a little bit

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
of information about myself:

I put my money where my mouth is. For me, this means living a simple life "off grid". Here in Alaska, that means I live where there is no electric power or other "provided" services. I heat using propane and wood. That means I cut and process most of the fuel I use to heat and cook. The propane heater keeps the house warm and protects from freezing while I am at work after the wood-burning stove burns down. I use a wind-solar hybrid system to charge the batteries that run my 12 VDC electric system. I do not have dish or cable TV. In fact, the only time I see TV is when I visit friends.
I raise my own food. I keep a root cellar and smoke meat to keep. I raise both vegetables and animals. I have milk from my goats and eggs from my chickens. I raise grass-fed beef and some of the best pork around. I sell what I do not use myself. We have mead, meat, canned fruits and veggies all Winter.
I live with the cycles of Nature and enjoy every season.
I hunt, fish, and trap animals that serve my needs.

I love my life and am pleased that I am able to make what I need from what I have.

Hello0o0o0o0 and Welcome...altho I must say, how do you stand living without a Tv?? ~LoL~
I'd go insane.
Wait....I'm already there...n/m.....carry on~

Do you have satellite internet??

No satellite here, either. I have what used to be referred to as an edge card. I get internet through my cell phone provider. It's pretty sketchy sometimes, but it is what it is. I expect better when G3 gets expanded out this way. I do have radio. Shortwave is a hoot, too. The men dominate mornings. The women take over after the guys get out and get to work. Lots of great information, and on a very personal level, too!

Hello0o0o0o0 and Welcome...altho I must say, how do you stand living without a Tv?? ~LoL~
I'd go insane.
Wait....I'm already there...n/m.....carry on~

I haven't found much worth my attention on TV in a long time. The few times I do see TV, I find my belief confirmed. So many channels, so much trash! I might be interested in the History or Science Channels, but not much else. I have a pretty expansive DVD selection.

I put my money where my mouth is. For me, this means living a simple life "off grid". Here in Alaska, that means I live where there is no electric power or other "provided" services. I heat using propane and wood. That means I cut and process most of the fuel I use to heat and cook. The propane heater keeps the house warm and protects from freezing while I am at work after the wood-burning stove burns down. I use a wind-solar hybrid system to charge the batteries that run my 12 VDC electric system. I do not have dish or cable TV. In fact, the only time I see TV is when I visit friends.
I raise my own food. I keep a root cellar and smoke meat to keep. I raise both vegetables and animals. I have milk from my goats and eggs from my chickens. I raise grass-fed beef and some of the best pork around. I sell what I do not use myself. We have mead, meat, canned fruits and veggies all Winter.

I love my life and am pleased that I am able to make what I need from what I have.

If you have no electricity, how can you play your Joan Baez CD's?

Peace, brother.

George

That's a nice remote camp if you enjoy that kind of life.

When you live without all manufactured goods other than those you make yourself out of natural resources you gather yourself, THEN you're REALLY living off the grid.

The grid is really everything that comes out of society, not just electricity.

Your gas stove, and the gas you burn is, for example, PART of the civilization grid.

Most of the clothes you wear and things you use, I'll wager are storebought, too.

Still, you're head an shoulders closer to living free than most of us.

That I'll happily grant you.

If you have no electricity, how can you play your Joan Baez CD's?

Peace, brother.

George

Joan Baez made CDs? I didn't say I had no electricity. I said I live off-grid and have a wind-solar hybrid system to generate electricity. I have very few electric appliances, though. The house is wired for 12 VDC. Did you know that you can get DVD players and TVs that run on 12 vdc? The refrigerator can run electric or propane. The washer is an Amish-made hand powered affair.

That's a nice remote camp if you enjoy that kind of life.

When you live without all manufactured goods other than those you make yourself out of natural resources you gather yourself, THEN you're REALLY living off the grid.

The grid is really everything that comes out of society, not just electricity.

Your gas stove, and the gas you burn is, for example, PART of the civilization grid.

Most of the clothes you wear and things you use, I'll wager are storebought, too.

Still, you're head an shoulders closer to living free than most of us.

That I'll happily grant you.

I doubt very many people can claim to live "off-grid" by your definition. What I am is self-sufficient. I really don't see how that makes me "wacko", but I suppose if someone thought their food only came from styrofoam containers wrapped in plastic...
I buy what I can't make in stores, and buy a lot of materials in stores. Why shouldn't I? I don't often buy new stuff, though. Living on limited financial resources means you have to learn to budget carefully. I've scored some really neat stuff over the years just by keeping my eyes open. (Mikasa setting for 12, missing only one salad plate, for $50.) I am building my place out-of-pocket. It's always "under construction", but it's always warm and friends are always welcome.

Forum List

Back